Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it okay to prematurely walk away from your current job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it okay to prematurely walk away from your current job?

Hi I just graduated from college about 5 months ago, and i've been working for this startup company for almost 4 months. The thing is, I don't really enjoy working here even though I have a good employer and some colleagues. The reasons are, I am not sure whether this company will grow or not seeing the way my employer handles things, and I really concern about my career in the future.

Is it okay for me to walk away when I only have been here for 4 months? And if it is so, what is the best way to approach my employer and how to deliver my thoughts of resigning?

Thanks! x

If you could tell us a little more about the startup (not necessarily its name but rather the field that it's in, how long it's been operating, the working environment, etc.), we may be able to give you better tailored advice. Only knowing that you're a fresh grad with limited work experience doesn't help much as we all start off like that. For example, you said that you have a good employer, then you contradicted yourself by saying that you're concerned with the way your employer handles things. Care to elaborate without giving away company secrets?

For reference, I work for a startup too, so I may be able to provide some relatable input.
    Last edited by ThorFolklore; 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Hmm, having a first job can be hard. My sister had huge difficulties being taken seriously by her older colleagues. But I also think it is kind of normal that an employee fresh out of college, with no experience, and who has only been there for four months will not have a huge say in how things need to be done. Those things take time. You may find strategies on internet on how you can make your boss and your colleagues convinced of your capabilities, so that they may start listening to your ideas.

I wouldn't quit immediately. If you'd been in Europe, I would have said that, if you quit you won't have the right to get unemployment benefits, but I think that is not the case anyway, as you're from Indonesia. Still I wouldn't quit though, as the transition from college to work can be a bit hard and it just takes time to adjust. In college, you're still very much a student (obviously) and your success depends on professors who are older than you and somehow more "adult", just like when you were in high school and you had your teachers. In the work place, you are supposed to act like a "real" adult. Also, in college you often study interesting things and then you end up in office and you find out you're really working on a niche actually, which may seem less interesting. But I don't know if quiting immediately is the solution, unless you're really in an unbearable situation.

What you can do, if you really don't like your job, is to quietly start looking for something else. Obviously, you won't tell your boss yet until you've found something else. But I think it is better for you (because you keep having an income) and more professional not to quit without having something else.
      La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

There is little harm in quitting if you really don't like it. I also quit my first job after just 3 months (not because I didn't like what I did, but because the boss was rather mean and exploitative). However, my situation could be radically different from yours, so I suggest you look for another job before you finally quit, but also don't stay too long where you are not happy because that might affect your performance anyway. Cheers

Comment

I changed about 12 jobs when i was 18-23 years old. But later i found suitable job and worked there for about 3 years. There wasn't growing, i just had that is enought for me. So... I don't see any bad in searching that you want, but i sure, employers thing the contrary. Double-edged sword.
          Dimasick is augmentative-diminutive form from Dima.
          http://s019.radikal.ru/i603/1406/14/c2a5b39cf2c8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ThorFolklore View Post
            If you could tell us a little more about the startup (not necessarily its name but rather the field that it's in, how long it's been operating, the working environment, etc.), we may be able to give you better tailored advice. Only knowing that you're a fresh grad with limited work experience doesn't help much as we all start off like that. For example, you said that you have a good employer, then you contradicted yourself by saying that you're concerned with the way your employer handles things. Care to elaborate without giving away company secrets?

For reference, I work for a startup too, so I may be able to provide some relatable input.

It is a retail company, we are working in fashion industry where we design our own brand and products. I think my company has been operating only for about a year and half. By saying i have a good employer is her personality is kind and everything. But she is been away for a while now to pursue her education, as she is maintaining the business from a long distance. I don't mind about the time difference and all, but career-wise, i think she was leaving too soon, even before we establish a firm foundation for our company. Does my explanation make sense? lol I am sorry i'm bad at explaining.

Then again, this probably just me whining about how hard adult world is. I should toughen up. should't i?

Comment

Originally posted by Coconut_Boy View Post
              There is little harm in quitting if you really don't like it. I also quit my first job after just 3 months (not because I didn't like what I did, but because the boss was rather mean and exploitative). However, my situation could be radically different from yours, so I suggest you look for another job before you finally quit, but also don't stay too long where you are not happy because that might affect your performance anyway. Cheers
              Thank you for your suggestion! I'll keep looking for another one, but isn't it quite hard to have a job interview when the time is collided with our work-hour? I was invited to 3 job interviews this past 2 months, but i couldn't really go because i am working at the same time...

Comment

Working...
              X