Anyone with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone with Rheumatoid Arthritis?

I was diagnosed for RA when I'm about 14, but most of the time it's in remission. Just get some flares from time to time, but most of the time I don't take any medication and just have activity as usual. I just took some diclofenac and have some rest when I'm in pain for few days and it's gone.

But the last few years (2 or 3 years maybe), it's getting more often and I have problem at some joints which don't go, some dry eye, etc. Usually it's gone after few days of rest and diclofenac, but now it's not.

I don't have any problem with daily activity though, the pain isn't so much that it prevent me from working, etc. Just some discomfort, annoying that's all.

Anyone here have experience of growing old with RA? What do you think about Methotrexate? I read it on internet and thinking about giving it a try.

PS: I'm too lazy to go to a doctor, lol.

Taking advice from the armchair experts on the net isn't such a good idea ....
    Last edited by RRicho; 01-16-2018, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Probably not, but I'm looking for people who have experience with methotrexate. Is there any problem after they're taking it. But you're right, probably it's not a good idea. I read from many resource (in internet, yea yea) and decided to give it a try. A small dose, without doctor's prescription, should be safe from what I read. Another bad idea, I guess.

Comment

Methotrexate shouldn't be taken with anyone with lung issues, smokers or those that are not in decent health to begin with. Yes there is alot of information on the internet about the drug with pros and cons from many people, but your own body chemistry may or may not like the medication. With RA you should be under a doctor's care and take your questions to them. Even supplements have their downsides and can be dangerous for some people. So what works for one person is great.. for that person. What works for you may be totally different. Speaking with a doctor about making sure you do not sustain joint damage from RA and what meds to take to accomplish that would be the best route to take.

Comment

Thanks, I should go to doctor. You all are right.

Anyway, I don't smoke. I don't drink alcohol. Most of the time, I don't easily get cold or problem with food poisoning, things like that.

About joint damage, actually that's what I'm worry about. I have one finger that's in pain whenever I put a bit pressure on it. I can move it around just fine. I have one toe, that (I just found out) can't bent at all. I know I should go to doctor, but I really don't want to do it. Maybe I'll do it at the end, but still not sure for now. In my 20something, I go to doctor and got fed up, because I have to go to the doctor at least once in a month (starting from once a week, to once per two week, etc). Got my blood check every time and all the pills. At the same time I look at my friends and people around my age, it's quite depressing.

Psychologically, I feel better when I stop seeing the doctor. Although probably physically not, but I feel much better when I'm not dependent to anyone or to any drug. Maybe I'll regret this later, but at least for now, I think that's how I feel.

Comment

Sorry to hear you suffer from RA.
            Whilst I can understand you have seen enough "Drs, hospitals etc to last a lifetime", I agree with "Just-a-chick" ----- anything, even supplements are potentially dangerous. However in the case of Methotrexate you really do need regular monitoring.
            I know it's a controversial route --- but have you considered alternative treatment like homeopathy?
            Admittedly, initially it requires seeing a Doctor, but usually it's a less invasive holistic approach to manage a condition. I'm not saying it's a panacea, merely a suggestion...........
            Best wishes in managing your RA.

Comment

Thanks, and do you have experience dealing with RA through homeopathy? What kind of treatment you're going through? About 12 years ago, maybe not, I can't remember the exact year, I got treated with acupuncture. It provide relieve from the pain. Just few minutes after the treatment, the pain is gone, but after few days the pain is back. After several times going through the treatment, it actually worsened. I'm not saying that the acupuncture cause it, because I still do normal work as soon as the pain relieved and don't get a total bed rest.

Comment

Hi, sorry to hear that, I got my first problem with my right knee when I'm 13-14yo. Anyway, from my experience, it is best to know about the cause first. What kind of arthritis it is and what cause it, etc.

In my case, my personal experience taught me to get some bed rest and took NSAID when it happens. Trying to force the joints work at that situation just make it worse and it's took longer to have it on remission. It is much better if I see the sign early and took my medication before it reach that stage (having problem to move around).

But sometimes, it's just too much work, etc and suddenly I have it really bad, all the joints are flared up, having fever, etc (it happen few times), at that point, a total bed rest and usually I took 300mg sodium diclofenac (voltaren or deflamat) a day. Split it to 3x100mg. Depend on the severity, I'll get better between 3-4 days to 2 weeks, of such treatment. Then it's on remission and I can do my daily activity just fine.

Comment

Working...
                X