What's the happiness??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

Do you drive a motorized wheelchair? If the answer is Yes! ...then you could be a Beatles fan!

There has been very little written since the 60's /70's that is other than barbed wire music

... so anyone that appreciates the developmental Jazz era is an old fart ...

Comment

Originally posted by RRicho View Post

There has been very little written since the 60's /70's that is other than barbed wire music

... so anyone that appreciates the developmental Jazz era is an old fart ...
      Jazz? Jazz is quite boring on its own. To appreciate it, you’d best be in bar in New Orleans after downing a few shots of bourbon.

Good music for snobs though...

Comment

Admittedly free form Jazz is hard to listen to but those that play it are the most talented musicians .... they are actually composing as they play.

Here is some good stuff that's easy to listen to ..... https://youtu.be/6JfKY0K_NQk .......

https://youtu.be/dzIEaNRoj3k ...... the interview with Grappelli and Menuhin is fascinating stuff, listen to the whole 4 youtube videos.

Comment

Admittedly free form Jazz is hard to listen to but those that play it are the most talented musicians .... they are actually composing as they play.

Here is some good stuff that's easy to listen to ..... https://youtu.be/6JfKY0K_NQk .......

https://youtu.be/dzIEaNRoj3k ...... the interview with Grappelli and Menuhin is fascinating stuff, listen to the whole 4 youtube videos.

My brother-in-law has a baby grand piano. When the family is together and we're having wine, he plays jazz on his piano and we all enjoy that. Everybody stops talking and we just listen. If the lights are dim, it's magic. That said, I wouldn't go out and buy recorded jazz to listen to at home.

Some people like jazz, some don't. Is it an art form? of course. I just feel that it is best appreciated in certain circumstances, like a dimly lit bar, late at night. When all these things are put together, the result is happiness. So the venue is part of jazz' appeal. Just on its own, jazz often sounds like cacophony to me.

Comment

Originally posted by _loki View Post
            it is by the beatles, Lennon or McCarthy. doesnt anyone listen to the beatles these days? come on, lucy in the sky with diamonds
            I read the news today, oh boy.

Comment

Originally posted by SpacemanBiff View Post

I read the news today, oh boy.
              what no happiness ?

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

My brother-in-law has a baby grand piano. When the family is together and we're having wine, he plays jazz on his piano and we all enjoy that. Everybody stops talking and we just listen. If the lights are dim, it's magic. That said, I wouldn't go out and buy recorded jazz to listen to at home.

Some people like jazz, some don't. Is it an art form? of course. I just feel that it is best appreciated in certain circumstances, like a dimly lit bar, late at night. When all these things are put together, the result is happiness. So the venue is part of jazz' appeal. Just on its own, jazz often sounds like cacophony to me.

There are many forms of Jazz, what your highlighting is free form Jazz ... many of the other forms of Jazz are what we hear every day .... it all stared back in the 20's and 30's and evolved through the 40's with some well known musicians at the leading edge of the Jazz era.

Most music has an 8 or 12 bar improvisation that's part of Jazz ..... here is an explanation ..... https://youtu.be/_Amwq43-lrM

Comment

There are many forms of Jazz, what your highlighting is free form Jazz ... many of the other forms of Jazz are what we hear every day .... it all stared back in the 20's and 30's and evolved through the 40's with some well known musicians at the leading edge of the Jazz era.

Most music has an 8 or 12 bar improvisation that's part of Jazz ..... here is an explanation ..... https://youtu.be/_Amwq43-lrM
                  Yes, I know there are different forms of jazz, just as there are different forms of other musical genres. As a type, Jazz doesn’t interest me. (I confess to a fleeting interest in Fats Domino many years ago.) I prefer more structured, more formal, more disciplined art forms than the freestyle varieties. I understand that excellent jazz requires mastery of technique first. Just as a good dancer is one who dances with apparent abandon but must first master technique in order to do so, it’s the same for jazz. It’s the same for any art form, really.

So I guess I just don’t care for jazz as such unless it’s part of an overall experience, such as a well-watered evening out with friends. I wouldn’t buy a jazz CD and listen to it just for its own sake...

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz ...... This link explains the forms that Jazz encompasses from the late 19th century through the 20th and into the 21st century.
                    Almost everything in modern music has it's roots in Jazz.

As I explained earlier it's the free form Jazz that is composed as they play that's a bit hard for other than Jazz enthusiasts to listen to for more than a few minutes ....

If you listened to the interview series with Menuhin and Grappelli you would have heard the formally trained Menuhin explain how difficult it was for him trying to keep with Grappelli who had no formal musical education ..... just making the point how talented instrumental improvisers are ... the free form players have exceptional knowledge of music to be able to react to improvisations of other players they are playing with.

Comment

...If you listened to the interview series with Menuhin and Grappelli you would have heard the formally trained Menuhin explain how difficult it was for him trying to keep with Grappelli who had no formal musical education ..... just making the point how talented instrumental improvisers are ... the free form players have exceptional knowledge of music to be able to react to improvisations of other players they are playing with.
                      I'm agreeing with you. We are saying the same thing in two different ways. Excellent technique doesn't have to come from music classes. Talented individuals may be self-taught (autodidacts) or may learn more formally. This is perhaps more evident in Latin dance where children learn at a very young age how to move to music by feel. However, to move into the major leagues (so to speak) in any art form, you need a balance between technical excellence and artistic expression. Too much technical excellence and you look like a robot, or a stiff Teuton. Unbridled artistic expression makes you look sloppy, or a caricature.

It's a bit of both. This is true whether you are singing rap, directing an orchestra or fiddling with a piano.

Comment

Had a lengthy discussion with a classical pianist some time back, his playing was note perfect but sounded quite mechanical, he had no understanding of how to play with feeling ... was an interesting conversation where we discussed this feeling thing and how to achieve it ..... it's all to do with imperceptible modifications to the timing as you feel how you interpret the piece as your playing..... singers do this all the time so I had him listen to a singer while we discussed the song he new and could play ..... interesting session.

Comment

hmm so your saying jazz is free..... well its not if you get it on a cd. it might be free online but thats a little controversial

Comment

Originally posted by chardie View Post

hmm so your saying jazz is free..... well its not if you get it on a cd. it might be free online but thats a little controversial

Free FORM , free FORM ..... you missed the key word Chards .... that's where a lot of notes are formed into some sort of formal form that's called Free Form Jazz.

Comment

hmm maybe thats where that barb wire music comes from ........ free form jazz
                              so all this time you have been involved in a cover up... shame Rricho shame

Comment

Originally posted by chardie View Post
                                hmm maybe thats where that barb wire music comes from ........ free form jazz
                                so all this time you have been involved in a cover up... shame Rricho shame

Have to agree with you here Chards, the free form stuff is in the same paddock with the barbed wire.
                                Last edited by RRicho; 09-23-2018, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X