Question about Verbs in the Present Continuous/Present Progressive

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Verbs in the Present Continuous/Present Progressive

I know in Greek that you can usually make a continuous statement by just using the regular present tense, such as: Διαβάζω την εφημερίδα-; I'm reading the Newspaper. I came to a problem however, as in situations such as "I would like to eat food, says Andrew reading the newspaper". How would that be in Greek?

Θα σου απαντήσω στα ελληνικά:
    Δεν υπάρχει αντίστοιχος χρόνος με τον συνεχή ενεστώτα στην νέα Ελληνική. Στην καθαρεύουσα (αλλά δε μιλιέται πλέον) υπάρχει κάτι ανάλογο και θυμίζει γερούνδιο. Π.χ. ο Γιάννης είναι ομιλών.
    Βέβαια αν πεις ότι ο Γιάννης πληκτρολογεί τώρα στο Internpals εννοείς τον Ενεστώτα διαρκείας, αλλά στο ξαναλέω δεν τον χρησιμοποιούμε. Για εσάς τους ξένους δεν είναι πρόβλημα για εμάς είναι το κάπως δύσκολο.

Free translation:
    We don't have a similar tense in modern Greek, but in ancient (which it is not spoken anymore) used something like gerund for example <greek text>.....
    However if you say <Greek text again> you imply the Present Continuous, but we don't use it. For any foreigner it is not a problem, Greek people because of Greek thinking make mistakes.

Comment

I think he means the -ing form -- -ontas: 8a '8ela na faw fagito, leei o Andrew diavasontas thn efimerida

Comment

Νο, verb + ώντας or οντας (when it is stressed o is changed to ω) it is the participle (μετοχή), και μπορεί να είναι ενεργητική (active) or passive (παθητική). Όπως και στα Αγγλικά.
        Τώρα το πώς θα το μεταφράσεις στα Αγγλικά εξαρτάται με το χρόνο (tense).

Παραδείγματα:
        1) Η Άννα χθες, μιλώντας στο τηλέφωνο έσπασε το ποτήρι = Αnn while she was talking yesterday on phone broke a glass.

Note the order is free we can say χθες η Άννα etc...

2) Κλωτσώντας τη μπάλα θα πονέσει το πόδι σου = By kicking that ball you will hurt your foot.

3) Τρώγωντας γρήγορα κάνεις κακό στο στομάχι = Εating fast it is bad for your stomach.

Nevertheless, I am not a teacher or a professor of the Greek language, some information may be missing.
        Last edited by YiagosEE; 01-06-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

That's right, you said the same. while doing something , doing something else at the same time. ".. says Andrew WHILE reading newspaper"

Comment

Don't be confused with English; for Greek verb + ώντας or οντας are always active participles.
            Check this link at Wikipedia and ask me if you don't understand anything.
            Last edited by YiagosEE; 01-06-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

ok, translate me that than: egw akouw mousikh perpatontas sto dromo.
              is that a adverbial participle?

Comment

Η Ελληνική δεν έχει επιρρηματικές (adverbial) μετοχές!
                Είπαμε έχει ενεργητικές (active) & παθητικές (passive).
                Στην περίπτωσή σου έχεις ενεργητική μετοχή και θα μπορούσε να αποδωθεί στα Αγγλικά ως I listen to music when I walk.
                Oι ενεργητικές μετοχές δηλώνουν (imply) πράξη (action).

NOTES:
                1) I am refreshing my English skills after a long period, therefore I am not sure if the above sentence could be translated as => I listen to music by walking but I think it does not make a sense. That's why when I translate to English I try to follow my grammar skills instead of translating word by word.
                I think a phrase such as walking in the forest I usually listen to music is grammatically OK; if yes then it is translated to περπατώντας στο δάσος συνήθως ακούω μουσική.
                2) Η Ελληνική γλώσσα έχει κάπως ελεύθερη σύνταξη στις προτάσεις!
                I mean the word order!
                You can say, περπατώντας στο δάσος συνήθως ακούω μουσική, or περπατώντας στο δάσος ακούω μουσική συνήθως (usually), or περπατώντας στο δάσος ακούω συνήθως μουσική!
                Focus the position of frequency adverb; it can be anywhere.
                3) In Greek we omit the εγώ, εσύ, αυτός, αυτή (I, you, he, she etc).........
                It is not wrong, but we omit them!
                Πληκτρολογώ ένα κείμενο στο Interpals = Ι am typing a text on Interpals.
                Last edited by YiagosEE; 01-07-2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

not by, but while, at the same time. Περπατωντας στο δρομο ακουω μουσικη. We call this adverbial participle in bulgarian, and that is said in the greek grammer i have!

Comment

While it is translated to εφόσον, ενώ and sometimes it is interchangeable to when (όταν).
                    A final word: any Greek learner should avoid thinking his/her native when she/he talks/writes in Greek, because there several differences with other languages. However, there are many similarities too.

Comment

Dido, there is not adverbial participle in Greek. I come to agree with John. In Modern Greek, active participles specify the verb; that's why you think it is adverbial... The phrase "Περπατώντας στον δρόμο ακούω μουσική" could mean "While or When I walk on the street I listen to the music". 'While' suggests always time but 'When' can also suggest state (e.g.: When I walk on the street I listen to the music but when I walk in the forest I do not).

Comment

oh, i never seen the ontas form means the state, always means time, but i am not ellhnas, and the grammer i have is wrong!

Comment

Working...
                        X