Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allah - just out of curiosity

Hi,

a quick question to you guys who speak Arabic.

I know "Allah" is the Arab word for "God" used both by Muslims, Christians and Jews. I wonder, does it refer to Pagan gods as well? For example: Mars was the Roman god of war.. do you use the word Allah in this case?

Allah is the god of Abraham. Ba'al or Mars, for example, would not be could Allah.

Comment

The answer is no, Not in any other Semitic language.

Comment

Thanks. So, how would you say (pagan) god? Just like in the case of Mars..

Comment

آلهة (ăliha) In MSA as in Classic Arabic, Which stands for ''Deity'' in English.
          Last edited by rayano; 04-06-2018, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much. The two words share the same root as I can see..

Comment

Sure, It's a very old word, with cognates in most Semitic languages (cf.Elohim) in Hebrew.
              Last edited by rayano; 04-09-2018, 02:02 AM.

Comment

the Arabic definite article al- "the" and ilāh "deity, god" to al-lāhmeaning "the deity", or "the God"

the name "Allāh" exist in other
                Semitic languages, including Hebrewand Aramaic. The corresponding Aramaic form is Elah (אלה), but its emphatic state is Elaha (אלהא). It is written as ܐܠܗܐ (ʼĔlāhā) in Biblical Aramaic and ܐܲܠܵܗܵܐ(ʼAlâhâ) in Syriac as used by the Assyrian Church, both meaning simply "God".[21]Biblical Hebrew mostly uses the plural (but functional singular) form Elohim(אלהים‬), but more rarely it also uses the singular form Eloah (אלוהּ‬).

Comment

I think it's spoken about in آية الكرسي

Comment

الله The one God. The one and only known person.
                    إله god
                    إلهه goddess

I hope it's clear.

Comment

Working...
                    X