Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Italian hard to learn? :)

I am wondering about learning it and I just know ''ciao'' :'D

Hello Marta Italian is hard to learn. Many Italian doesn't speak it right. But, nothing is impossible

Comment

The difficulty is very subjective. It depends on your mother tongue. Italian is a Latin language with conjugations that you will have to learn by heart. But Italian language is written as it is pronounced unlike English and French.

Comment

Hhmm hard to say. I think Italian has a medium level of difficulty but, of course, as already said, it all depends on your native language and on the other languages you might know. For a Spanish speaker Italian is probably the easiest language to learn while if you speak Thai it's going to be way tougher.

As a Pole you might struggle with the articles (when to use the determinative, indeterminative or partitive ones), our past tenses...you just have one, we have five kind of past tenses, each of them has its rules and has its own nuance of meaning (something that reminds more or less your verbal aspects), conditional and conjunctive tenses but you would find pretty easy to determinate whether a word is masculine or feminine (we have no neuter). Another big positive aspect of Italian is that we have fixed rules of pronunciation.. "one letter, one sound" most of the times and you read everything you write unlike French or English.

Comment

Italian is a Romance language, so it's plenty of irregular verbs just like its sister languages. I think that the first impact for a beginner is shocking because the articles and the formation of the plurals has more irregularities in Italian than in the other Romance languages. But there are some positive aspects too: the order, the position of words in a sentence is quite flexible and the ortography is generally easy, although is not true that Italian is written as it's pronounced (this is a misconception that we learn at the elementary school) and that there's a sound corrisponding to a letter (on the contrary letters e, o, s, z can have two sounds each).
          It all depends on your motivation, how and where you're going to learn it (by yourself or in a languages school?).

Comment

Working...
          X