No announcement yet.

Do you want to become a real polyglot?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you want to become a real polyglot?

I think most of us have seen these youtube videos of people who pretend to know 10 or more languages. They speak very much, but who of us can justify it it's really fluent, understandable for natives?

Now many of us are on interpals looking for language partners. How is it with you, are you, do you aim to command ole language really perfectly, maybe 2 or 3, or do you want to become one of these guys who speak loads of different languages?
    I'm not here for languages at all (just penpals, dating, whatever)
    0%
    I have a special interest for 1 language, and no others
    6.67%
    I have a special interest for 1 language, but maybe in the future I'll learn one or two more
    26.67%
    I learn 2 or more languages at the same time
    60.00%
    I learn 5 or more languages at the same time
    0%
    I learn 5 or more languages now, and plan to get even more later, to become a real polyglot
    6.67%
    I learn 10 or more languages at the same time to become a polygloot as soon as possible
    0%
    I AM a real polyglot.
    0%
    Niin, łell, äkschly...

I wish I were fluent in several languages, but it is just a wish. I am a realist and for now, I am fully satisfied with being fluent in English and knowing three more languages partially.

For life it is the best to be equally bilingual, which is probably very hard to acquire.
    Last edited by Josef70; 10-22-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I was about to the say almost the same that Josef.

I am not really studying any language right now, I stopped about two years ago.

Knowing all languages would be great but completely impossible. Trying to be more realistic I'd like to master the four languages I already speak and then learn French. I don't dare to study no-Romance languages other than a few greetings or basic words.
      ‎( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) I'm watching you

Comment

I'm focused on one language (Finnish) at the moment (for several years now, actually). But it doesn't belong to the same language group as my home language. It was easier to motivate for something which was completely strange for me.

For the sake of my interest for Finland, it would make sense to learn Swedish (it's the second official language there). It's a germanic language and would be probably easy for me. But until now, I couldn't motivate to start. I would rather go on with Hungarian as the next (but I want to learn Swedish or maybe Norwegian some day in the future).
        Niin, łell, äkschly...

Comment

I'm probably one of those rare people in this thread that thinks it's possible to become a good middle level (perhaps not *fluent* or near native level) in many languages. But I think a huge thing that holds back most people is that constant practise and use will keep the language fresh. How many countries are there where you can speak in many different languages on a daily basis? I doubt that many, however we now have the internet, so something that used to be very difficult years ago, is now very simple with messengers, websites, forums, phones, skype, youtube, etc.

We're living in a very good age for language learning because of this. Language learners needed to buy expensive audio courses, or travel, or find a native speaker physically to learn to speak from them decades ago. And although this is a common piece of advice, there are other, less expensive, less inconvenient options. How amazing is that?!?!?!?!

It blows my mind.

Comment

I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but I think polyglotism has undergone a huge change recently. I think a lot of these self-declared polyglots use the word in a different sense than just 'speaking many languages', I think to a lot of aspiring polyglots (like myself) it just denotes an enthusiasm for language learning that goes beyond the idea of 'fluency' (which is problematic in itself because it can't really be measured exactly) and utility. Like, waking up one day with a desire to learn Czech because the alphabet is interesting, or seeing a character on a TV show speaking Malay and becoming suddenly interested in that. I don't know how far this applies to everyone, but a lot of people I've spoken to seem to share this definition of polyglotism.

Comment

Besides Spanish, my native language, my English is rather fluent. Although I'm still much better at writing it (I can't help having an accent I guess). Besides that I know a bit of Japanese. I do wish I could learn some other languages, though, like Chinese, Russian and German. But, I'll probably do it later on by myself if I ever get the free time. To be honest, I don't really expect to learn much in this site. I'm here mostly to try to get to know people from other countries. And that alone is hard, haha.

Comment

Working...
              X