Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tu" vs "Você "?

Hi,

I'm a total novice so from what i've learnt is that the word "Você" sounds rude in European Portugese but acceptable in Brazilian Portuguese.

Still figuring out informal vs formal speech. I assume certain words are fine when using them among family and friends but certain words are not ok when in public. Is this how it's meant to be?

On the opposite, in the Brazilian Portuguese you only use "Você" in the European Portuguese, you have the 2 words, "Tu" is used in a informal conversation and "Você" is used in a formal conversation, so it doesn't sound rude at all but is actually the opposite, if you use "você" in a conversation it means you respect that person (like an elderly person, or someone you don't know very well), usually after you get to know someone better you can swap from the "Você" too "Tu"

Final note, is completely fine whatever word you use (or type of conversation you adopt: formal or informal) when you talk to a Portuguese from Portugal if you are a foreigner, we even like it if you use the informal way, it shows that you care enough to know that you did not learn only the Portuguese from Brazil.
    Last edited by tega; 08-20-2018, 06:11 AM.

Comment

"Você" is (was in Brazil) a honorific. It's the modern form of "a vossa mercê". Thank to that, you use it in the third person. Seems complicated but it's really usefull in Brazil. You can use the second and third person only applying verbs in the third person. The second person form (pronouns and verbs) is really dying in Brazilian Portuguese.

Notes:
      "Tu" is common in southern states of Brazil (thanks the italian influence) and in the state of Maranhão (I have no idea why); however, "Você" is still the rule, especially in the main cities.

Don't use the honorific "Senhor/Senhora" (Sir/Madame) in Brazil. It's an old term used to parents and elder people. Traditional groups apreciate it, but another groups believe that you are calling them ancients. You may listen a nice joke asking to call "você" or things.
      Last edited by AlNobre; 08-22-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AlNobre View Post
        "Você" is (was in Brazil) a honorific. It's the modern form of "a vossa mercê". Thank to that, you use it in the third person. Seems complicated but it's really usefull in Brazil. You can use the second and third person only applying verbs in the third person. The second person form (pronouns and verbs) is really dying in Brazilian Portuguese.

Notes:
        "Tu" is common in southern states of Brazil (thanks the italian influence) and in the state of Maranhão (I have no idea why); however, "Você" is still the rule, especially in the main cities.

Don't use the honorific "Senhor/Senhora" (Sir/Madame) in Brazil. It's an old term used to parents and elder people. Traditional groups apreciate it, but another groups believe that you are calling them ancients. You may listen a nice joke asking to call "você" or things.
        e que tal Rio? Eles quase todos usam "tu" + s (tu falas, tu sabes...), ne?

Comment

Originally posted by ChoclatStarfish View Post
          e que tal Rio? Eles quase todos usam "tu" + s (tu falas, tu sabes...), ne?
          Rio de Janeiro and Maranhão were famous for them "polite" Portuguese. However, I don't know if it is so common in Rio. When I talk with cariocas, they always use the third person "você". I do not really remember any person from Rio de Janeiro using "Tu". On the other hand, for example, my two friends from Maranhão always use "tu" and "ti".

Maybe?

Comment

Portuguese here. In Portugal, "você" does sound rude to us if you use it directly at someone in a conversation. While at first sight "você" is the formal version of "tu", it's much more polite to call someone by their name in the third person. For instance, "O senhor António quer chá" ("do you want tea?, if you're talking directly to Sr. António).

Comment

Working...
            X