How to learn Finnish?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to learn Finnish?

I'm Turk. I want to learn Finnish but I do not have a source for learning. What do you recommend to me?

to go to a bookstore for example, use your own imagination

Comment

Usually taking a basic course in some language is a good place to start and particularly, if it's your first foreign language or have no knowledge of that particular language family.
      Other than that find some good textbooks and such source material to get started.

Comment

Thanks for replies.

Comment

In my opinion it's the best if you're actually in a place where the language is spoken. So you're confronted with it, 24/7. When watching TV, listening to the radio, when you go outside and hear the people speaking... I tried to study Finnish for quite a while when I was still living in my home country, also visited a language course there... but the learning effect was close to zero when using the language only once per week for 1,5 hours.

~ Sanity calms... but madness is more interesting ~

Comment

Well, one can hear Finnish radio from everywhere in the world, with the nettiradio app or through the website nettiradio.fi. TV is quite constrained (only few programs are viewable from abroad), but at least the news on yle.fi are viewable. Press like Helsigin Sanomat is also viewable online, and books can be ordered online (however, one needs to know the language a bit).

It's possible to learn the language without living in the country.

What I did at the beginning: I bought the first book course I could get, and started to learn. When I was able to read a bit, I've looked for further materials online, and found the book "Suomea suomeksi". Then I've ordered that, and learned from it. And I've listened to radio every day (at the beginning I didn't understand anything, the first thing I've got after some time was the weather forecast, and then more and more with the time). Then a vacation course in Helsinki, and very much Finnish music from youtube.
            Niin, łell, äkschly...

Comment

It's possible to learn the language without living in the country.
              I shalt emphasize this and adding up as a "new age" Finn:

Finnish as of nowadays is IMPOSSIBLE to embrace/assess if you don't just bravely grasp a few words into your lexicon while being involved with locals and their manners/ways of speech. There is a reason why our vocabulary has official/legitimate changes almost every now and then compared to other countries that otherwise retain clear differences between formal, generation-old language and spoken dialects/slang. So if you love to stick to those wordbooks and textbooks w/ Finnish basic levels 1,2,3 or whatever suits your level - mind its "relevancy" and "up-to-date" quality: Finland as of now may come to you as a shock if you assess your 90s wordbooks and dictionaries way too much.

Of course this could be applied to any other language with empowered jargonistic tendencies (e.g. Swedish might be surprisingly multifaceted compared to standard dialect you learn thru books or here in Finland) but based on my personal experience alone, I can honestly assure you that Finland has it much "better"...or "worse" from learner's perspective.

Be more actively in the midst of "standard age" Finns (e.g. people older than 25 and up to middle age or even senior ones) if you want to embrace the core language instead of municipality-oriented isms. E.g. people like me barely speak "standard Finnish" anymore - there is a huge number of folks here in Helsinki's cityside who speak pure "South" (with lots of loanwords and invented anglicisms) and may not be really pleased to converse in standard (like me).

Comment

Working...
              X