No announcement yet.

Name a Book that Inspired you

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Into the Wild Jon Krakauer. It's like Walden but modern and begs the same questions about abandoning society and all our worldly possessions.

Comment

The Alchemist inspired me a lot... For a few minutes until I realized I did not believe in the premise of "Personal Legend", and "Maktoub" :P
      I draw a lot of inspiration from my all-time favorite book Gone with the wind, not only as a history buff and a hopeless (i.e stupid) romantic. I love how despite all the hardship people can still find some measure of happiness, and how, when it comes down to it, very little is needed to lead a happy life (the Wilkes inviting the neighbors for tea, they only refreshment they could afford). Another inspiring thought is how we can spend a big chunk of our lives pursuing something that we think means everything for us only to realize that we never really wanted it or needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by ithecommon View Post
        I can think of two books that had a large impact on me, the first was Kerouac's On The Road and the other was Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I read both of these books right when I started college and each one gave me a different perspective into individualism, ethics and the potential that life has.
        I was trying to read 'On the road'. I was dissapointed. My expectations were crushed.

Comment

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

Comment

Someday, I just want to write a book as interesting and fun and Harry Potter...

Comment

Walden 2 by BF Skinner because he was a behaviorist. i read the book for an extra credit assignment in my psychology 101 class, and i really liked it. it was cool to get into the mind of a psychologist

Comment

Richard Dawkins: The God Delusion.

It is mostly the parts to do with the wonders of evolution, biology, and some bits about cargo cults, that really are so stimulating and amazing... it really inspired me to think, to reason, and it did so by rewarding that thinking with answers, by showing me that you can reason out the answers to complicated behaviors in the real world, human behaviors, and also nature itself... mysteries became solved, and much respect for nature came with that process.

by the way I get 3 cents for every book he sells...lol...just kidding. I am not plugging anything it is really that good.

Comment

Hmm...People here write such serious books,so I want to change this tradition.I'm really inspired by fantasy stories-and my favourite one is "The Mortal Instruments" by Cassandra Clare.It makes me create something interesting)

Comment

Michael Crichton's Congo, the first full length novel I ever read. This book made me want to start writing.

Comment

Deathtrap Dungeon by Ian Livingstone - My first choose your own type adventure book. I don't know if inspired is the right word but I really did enjoy the Fighting Fantasy series it as a kid. It also got me interested in computer text adventure games and later on Dungoens & Dragons.

Comment

I love Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom because it teaches how to value people around you and how to live life and prepare for a happy death.

Comment

3 books that I read during my high school years had a deep impact on me and I'm sure that my life would be totally different if I hadn't read them.

1. Crime and punishment (Dostoievski)
                          2. The revolt of the masses (Ortega y Gasset)
                          3. Civilization and its discontents (Sigmund Freud)

Comment

I am not sure that inspired is the best word to describe this book, but I can say it has caused me to do a great deal of thinking about good, evil, mental illness, loneliness, isolation and the role society has in it. Child of God : Cormac McCarthy

Comment

For me it was Less Than Zero and Howl. They haven't story, but they have something interesting.

Comment

1. Tuesdays with Morie.
                                2. Chicken Soup For the Soul.

Comment

Working...
                                X