Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tell me about one favorite book according to you from your country, please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about one favorite book according to you from your country, please?

I need some references for learning about how writer in other country made his/her masterpiece in words. Thank you for reply this topic ^^

I think that for Serbia or ex Yugoslavian countries in general it definitely has to be "The bridge on Drina" or "na Drini cuprija" by Ivo Andric. He even got the Nobel prize for literature because of that book and if that doesn't prove how good it is I don't know what will.
    You can find a lot about it on google but feel free to message me if you need to know something else

Comment

From Kenya, "The River and The Source" is one of my best. Another one is "Weep Not, Child"

Comment

"A perfect friend" by Martin Suter, definitely!

Comment

From Russia: "Idiot" by Dostoevsky. Wonderful book!

Comment

about Russia "Peace and War" of course

Comment

From Brasil, "Brás Cubas' Post Memories" (Machado de Assis); "The Time and The Wind" (Érico Veríssimo); "Dried Lives" (Graciliano Ramos); "Macunaíma" (Mario de Andrade), and some others...

Comment

From Germany:
                "Das Parfum"/"The perfume" by Patrick Süskind
                "Die Buddenbrooks"/"The Buddenbrooks" by Thomas Mann
                "Die Blechtrommel"/"The Tin Drum" by Günther Grass
                Quit people have the loudest minds. - Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by taisb57 View Post
                  From Brasil, "Brás Cubas' Post Memories" (Machado de Assis); "The Time and The Wind" (Érico Veríssimo); "Dried Lives" (Graciliano Ramos); "Macunaíma" (Mario de Andrade), and some others...
                  I would Add Jorge Amado´s Terras do Sem Fim, but your list is perfect

Comment

Poland (Fantasy books):

The Lord of the Ice Garden - Jarosław Grzędowicz, the bad thing is, there is no english translation
                    Wiedźmin/ Witcher - Andrzej Sapkowski
                    Achaja - Andrzej Ziemiański - well not for everyone, but as an easy lecture quite enjoyable

Comment

My favourite book from the Czech republic is Kytice (A Bouquet of Folk Legends) by Karel Jaromír Erben. It's a collection of folk tales, mostly spooky ones, in verse. There are supernatural beings from Slavic folk tales and usually somebody dies xD

Comment

As a fantasy book enthusiast I have one favourite writer from Czech Republic, Miroslav Zamboch. In Poland it's easy to find his books in bookstores and libraries, and I'm so glad it is

Comment

"Khan went to Planet Mars" written by Monika.

Comment

"On the Drina Bridge" by Ivo Andric. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for it.

Comment

I don't know of any Swedish books but one of my favorite series are from our neighbour Norway, it's called Sagan om Isfolket in swedish or in english "The legend of the ice people".

It's a 47 book series that follows a family and it's decendants from the middle ages to current day, set in our real world but with supernatural aspects. Very interesting and great variety in characters, each book follows a new family member and has an overarching plotline.

Comment

Working...
                              X