Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unpopular opinions on popular/classic books?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Talise12 View Post
    This 3 books are very popular, or respected. I read both, and I didnt liked them:
    Yann Martel: Life of Pi
    Blindness by José Saramago,
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.
    I could not stand Alchemist either and did not read it till the end though everyone seemed to be so much amazed by the book. I will say more, I think that P. Coelho just gathers some banal thoughts and I do not find them to be inspiring or original...maybe just my opinion but I really think so.

Comment

Mark Twain is very humble indeed. I hate it when my favorite writers end up being compared to that pipsqueak:

"Tom said to himself that it was not such a hollow world, after all. He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it -- namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain. If he had been a great and wise philosopher, like the writer of this book, he would now have comprehended that Work consists of whatever a body is OBLIGED to do, and that Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do. And this would help him to understand why constructing artificial flowers or performing on a tread-mill is work, while rolling ten-pins or climbing Mont Blanc is only amusement. There are wealthy gentlemen in England who drive four-horse passengercoaches twenty or thirty miles on a daily line, in the summer, because the privilege costs them considerable money; but if they were offered wages for the service, that would turn it into work and then they would resign."

Comment

Lord of the Rings is long and boring and so much is unecessary. I'm 60 pages in and Frodo hasn't left the house yet.

Comment

Originally posted by CiaraChaya View Post
          Lord of the Rings is long and boring and so much is unecessary. I'm 60 pages in and Frodo hasn't left the house yet.
          I absolutely agree. I tried to read it but fell asleep.

So many people love Wuthering Heights but I just couldn't get myself to like it. I read almost three quarters of it before I gave up. There is really not a single likable character in it, and people actually love Heathcliff for some reason.

Comment

You two should take it back. LOTR is too short, that is the only big issue with this book.

Comment

Working...
            X