Racial and Sexual Discrimination in Higher Education

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial and Sexual Discrimination in Higher Education

Disclaimer: This post is positive, not normative. It is not arguing for or against any political position, I am simply looking for knowledge.

In the United States different state university/college systems as well as most private colleges consider race and sex when looking at applicants. Many universities in California discriminate against Asians, many Ivy League schools discriminate against Jews, and pretty much all of the United States discriminate against Whites. Races with average test scores lower than average are usually discriminated in favor of like Blacks, Arabs, Whites of Spanish Descent and Indigenous persons.

Discrimination is related to tuition levels, graduation requirements, and admission requirements.

Does this happen in any foreign countries? Does this happen where you are from, or is this just an American thing?

Once again, I'm not trying to start an argument on whether this is a good or a bad thing, this is not a political message board so please steer clear of political debates.

Some Sources
    https://www.amazon.com/Personal-Odys.../dp/0684864657
    https://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supre...rt/11-345.html
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...sian-americans

Discrimination on the basis of a tolerant found in Russia. But no a lot.

Comment

What's a "tolerant" ?

Comment

Originally posted by writer88 View Post
        What's a "tolerant" ?
        This is a close relative of racial discrimination in USA. All sorts of frauds with the results of the state exam in non-Russian regions.

Comment

It doesn't happen here. The reason is: no migrants. But If we had them I suppose it would be the same.
          http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100803203515

Comment

The question you are asking in the OP is very much focused on policy - and hence politics - rather than purely pedagogical matters.

Hence you have posted the OP in the wrong forum.

Comment

If a university has quotas for students of any ethnic background is racism the result.
              Racism doesn't exist in homogeneous societies, but it exists in every multicultural one.

Comment

Not as much as in US... Asians don't need to get highest scores than the others just because they are good students in general, in fact there is no concept of 'races' in France, nobody wil ask you wether you are yellow or rainbow.

However there are still "positives discriminations" based on social status, some will have less difficulties to enter to a school (like sciences po), some other will get help to be prepared... Those "poor" people are generally the ones living in periphery of Paris => the "minorities" and already get other helps than some people, poorer, don't get at all.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post
                  The question you are asking in the OP is very much focused on policy - and hence politics - rather than purely pedagogical matters.

Hence you have posted the OP in the wrong forum.

I'm not arguing for a political position, I am NOT saying that this is good OR bad. I am just looking to see if this happens in any other countries so I can be more informed if I end up choosing to get a degree abroad. Why do you want so badly to make this political? If you want to talk politics please go to another forum. This is a positive thread not a normative one, I thought I made that clear in the original post but I guess I didn't say it enough.

Comment

Originally posted by writer88 View Post
                    I'm not arguing for a political position, I am NOT saying that this is good OR bad. I am just looking to see if this happens in any other countries so I can be more informed if I end up choosing to get a degree abroad. Why do you want so badly to make this political? If you want to talk politics please go to another forum. This is a positive thread not a normative one, I thought I made that clear in the original post but I guess I didn't say it enough.
                    No, you are asking questions in your OP (Original Post) with a very political sense.

In terms of framing an OP, you are supposed to be asking questions for discussion. Simply requesting "information" as you are "now" claiming is not discussion.

Therefore, either you have very poorly framed an OP such that no genuine discussion can take place or you have framed an OP from which a highly-charged political discussion would be generated and hence not really appropriate for a forum with a purely education purpose.

Either way, the thread doesn't belong here at all.

Comment

... no mind ... or brain? Sorry for bad English.

Scandalous story with the Soviet physicist Lev Landau (jew). He pointed to a few students in the classroom, and kicked out the rest: "I can not teach you anything."
                      Last edited by dmitri11; 06-15-2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X