Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which skill is most difficult to learn in a foreign language?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which skill is most difficult to learn in a foreign language?

i just saw a website that had a poll:

Which is the most difficult skill to learn in a foreign language -- reading, writing, listening, or speaking?

3,582 people voted in this poll. Here are the results:

Reading 3%
    Writing 25%
    Listening 19%
    Speaking 52%

I wasn't surprised that most people think that speaking is the most difficult skill to learn when studying a foreign language. But I was surprised that almost half of the people (44%) said that writing or listening is more difficult than speaking!

What do you think? Which skill is the most difficult one to learn when studying a foreign language?

Originally posted by gohoos15 View Post
    i just saw a website that had a poll:

Which is the most difficult skill to learn in a foreign language -- reading, writing, listening, or speaking?

3,582 people voted in this poll. Here are the results:

Reading 3%
    Writing 25%
    Listening 19%
    Speaking 52%

I wasn't surprised that most people think that speaking is the most difficult skill to learn when studying a foreign language. But I was surprised that almost half of the people (44%) said that writing or listening is more difficult than speaking!

What do you think? Which skill is the most difficult one to learn when studying a foreign language?
    Speaking a foreign language requires some to overcome shyness. I’m actually surprised so high a number of people chose speaking as the most difficult skill to learn. For me it was understanding the various accents and turns of phrases used to say the same thing.

Comment

Writing for me though. Speaking is quite easy, but most people who learn a new language can't use a proper accent. So even though you know exactly what to say, most prefer to pretend not to know, to save them from the embarassment. Atleast that's how it is for me

Comment

I'm not surprised that Listening is hard for people.
        Over the years I have tried different languages and saw how different people were learning them. There are people that are amazing with grammar, there are people that are nott afraid to speak, there are people that get very good pronounciation very fast. So, for example, I am very good when it comes to listening and pronounciation. I understand through the accents (mostly ), the noise etc. I am very shitty when it comes to grammar, it takes me a lot of time to learn that.
        So what I was noticing is usually when there was some listening exercise, for me 1, max 2 listening was enough to get all the answers and for many people it was not enough and they wanted to listen again.

Writing imo is not so hard - after all you have all the time to check with dictionary etc. how to write something.

Speaking for me is hard, because I easily get shy if I don't know the language perfectly

Comment

nothing is difficult when you memorize many vocabularies.
          reading, listening, speaking, writing all need vocabularies.
          so the most difficult is memorizing vocabularies.

Comment

It depends on te language, some have a simple grammar but a difficult pronounciation, other are easier to speak than to write, or whatever.

For me it's easy to communicate in written English, but when it comes to understanding, especially of people who come from English speaking countries, that's difficult. On the other hand, I speak Finnish quite fluently, but I still make mistakes when writing.

Comment

based on my experience, the most difficult is listening, and then number two is speaking. Listening is pretty hard for me because i have to understand the words that he/she says, people have different accents

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
                Speaking a foreign language requires some to overcome shyness. I’m actually surprised so high a number of people chose speaking as the most difficult skill to learn. For me it was understanding the various accents and turns of phrases used to say the same thing.
                English-speaking people like the Chinese are weak in phonetics. Russian need to turn upside down their mind to correctly understand verbal phrases.
                Last edited by dmitri11; 07-10-2019, 06:46 PM.

Comment

I find listening is the hard part as once you're well trained in listening to different accents you are able to make real progress. Then you need a good training in phonetics to make the next huge step. Reading is fairly easy, writing too.
                  I start learning Russian and it's the exception to the rule in my case. Learning the phonetics is difficult because I learn a lot of exceptions straight away - although I understand most of them, like reduced sounds in some cases - then learning to read the capital letters, then the cursive version, mixing it with letters from my alphabet that look the same but sound completely different.
                  It took me half an hour to translate a few lines from capital to cursive - with a little help. As for now I guess I'm better at listening to Russian as I could roughly understand and translate the tiny basic "conversations" I listened to, although it's hard to discriminate some sounds from others.

Comment

The grammatical logic aspect and the Comprehension of idioms...

Comment

Working...
                    X