Siblings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChrisShiva View Post

Was he nice to you when you were kids? My brother is younger and we get along well now. But when we were kids I bullied him and even today l feel bad about that. Then again he's had a good career as a navy officer. So maybe I should take some credit for "toughening him up".
    Pretty nice. He was four when I was born and actually glad to have a sibling. A cousin who is a year older than me lived nearby that time and my brother wanted a new brother/sister at home ever since. He often bothered me when I was sleeping peacefully, stole my pacifier and put his fingers inside my mouth, but after I had teeth I bite him a lot and as I grew up I guess I bothered him more than he bothered me. Karma's real. :x

Comment

How did you get along with your siblings growing up and how do you get along with them now? Are you the oldest, youngest or somewhere in the middle?
      I'm the eldest of three.

My sister is three years younger and we weren't really close until recently. We both were rather independent and hardly shared our games, although we did enjoy chatting and spending some time together. Her breaking up with her partner brought us closer, we call each other more and help each other, while not long ago we'd only text or e-mail once in a while and meet in limited occasions.

My brother is eleven years younger so I was like his nanny As a teenager and a young adult he would often seek good advice and support from me, and we'd often go on holiday or hang out together whenever we could. We were very close and kept in touch at least every other day. Now that he moved and got a job and a new life, our relationship has changed, which made me quite sad, but I'm sure he feels the same. It's a good thing that what I lost with my brother, I earned with my sister.

All in all our relationship was always normal, no big fights or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
        I have a twin sister and I'm the Light, she is the beggar and she knows it. In other words : We are somehow the opposites in many ways, even if I tend to have an influence of some of her taste and thoughts.
        Since we are opposites, I think there is no need to say "I'm not very close to her", right ? I was more far during our childhood.

Else, about "fights", I'm the one who created/create the most of them, I always found it funny when she get angry/crazy and fall into the despair after beating me with no effect except making me laughing at her weakness. Another kind of trouble I made, except mocking her for all and nothing, is making her laughing while she is drinking something, especially her coffee at breakfast, seeing her spitting it on her pants is always funny to me, and a great victory.

My wife has sisters who are identical twins. It would seem like they would be close since genetically they are the same person. But in fact there is alot of jealousy and they don't like each other at all. Sofi said it has been like that between them since they were kids.

Comment

Originally posted by loony-moonchild View Post

Pretty nice. He was four when I was born and actually glad to have a sibling. A cousin who is a year older than me lived nearby that time and my brother wanted a new brother/sister at home ever since. He often bothered me when I was sleeping peacefully, stole my pacifier and put his fingers inside my mouth, but after I had teeth I bite him a lot and as I grew up I guess I bothered him more than he bothered me. Karma's real. :x

I always thought you were probably a biter. Now I know it for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesFrancis View Post
            I'm the eldest of three.

My sister is three years younger and we weren't really close until recently. We both were rather independent and hardly shared our games, although we did enjoy chatting and spending some time together. Her breaking up with her partner brought us closer, we call each other more and help each other, while not long ago we'd only text or e-mail once in a while and meet in limited occasions.

My brother is eleven years younger so I was like his nanny As a teenager and a young adult he would often seek good advice and support from me, and we'd often go on holiday or hang out together whenever we could. We were very close and kept in touch at least every other day. Now that he moved and got a job and a new life, our relationship has changed, which made me quite sad, but I'm sure he feels the same. It's a good thing that what I lost with my brother, I earned with my sister.

All in all our relationship was always normal, no big fights or anything.

My niece and nephew who are French are quite close also. Of course, it depends on the personalities of the individuals. But in America siblings are raised in such a competitive way I wonder if it, generally speaking, creates more conflict between them than siblings in Europe and elsewhere.

I don't know of any academic research to back this up. But I think it's a possibility.

Comment

I'm the oldest of 7, 5 boys and the youngest is a girl. My parents insisted to have another girl but unfortunately 5 boys di situ saya kadang merasa sedih :-( If I think about it, I feel sad. Am I their real daughter? Our age difference is so far : 18 years. By the time I graduated Senior High School, she was just born. We are so much different we couldn't get along. We don't argue we just don't talk much like sisters do.
              "We cannot all do great things.But we can do small things with great love."
              ....Mother Teresa

Comment

I have a sister, she is two years younger than me and we get along very well. We used to have some small disputes as children but it was never anything serious. We can talk with each other about anything. I really love her, she is a wonderful person.

Comment

I am the oldest one, 20 y.o. I have two half-siblings, one from mother's and one from father's side. Sisters, I assume, unless they will identify themselves otherwise when grow up. With first our age difference is 15 years, with second - 19 years. We don't see each other often, due to my complicated persona and not-so-good relationships with parents' spouses, but I guess I love them and I totally will be helping them when they will grow older, in case they will need my help. I guess, they like me too (at least mother's one - father's is too little to understand something yet). Though, I must say, in the beginning of their lifes I kinda hated them, especially the first one. They were... Completely unexpected for me, and I can't stand it when something interferes with my plans, converting life from relative order into chaotic mess. More to that, I felt like my relatives won't love me anymore, like they will be caring only about new ones. I also felt like I was some unsuccessful project that needed to be replaced, especially considering the fact of my terrible character, claiming that I won't ever be having my own kids and coming out as a gay person back then. In that, I was almost right about my mother and completely wrong about my father. In the end, I don't get along very well with both of my parents, though, but I will do anything my sisters will need and I hope I will be able to provide proper education (based on tolerance, acceptance, self-love and feministic principles) for them in future, since I know their families most likely experience the lack of it and have no idea about life in modern society. It's kinda my obligation to make sure they'll always have someone to rely on.

Comment

I am in a "blended" family. I have an older brother. We have always gotten along. When our parents divorced, we got closer. We realized that the only other person that understood what was going on, was the other.

Since the divorce, I have two younger half brothers. So, in this part of the family, I'm the 2nd of 4. Yes, I love them to pieces!

Also, since the divorce, I have an older stepbrother and an older stepsister. So, in this part of the family, I'm the youngest of 4. I love them too.

Comment

How did you get along with your siblings growing up and how do you get along with them now? Are you the oldest, youngest or somewhere in the middle?
                      I'm... towards the end ! I'm the 4th of 6 brothers and sisters - 2 brothers and 1 sister older, 1 brother and 1 sister younger; with 12 years between the eldest and the youngest.

There's a kind of hierachy that was not unusual at the time. My older brothers were favoured but also more pressured and it seemed like us the youngest were a different group, with minor expectations from our parents, which was good for us in a way. I didn't feel like they were at the same level, of course there was the age but it felt like they were uncles or secondary parental figures instead of brothers we could play or hang around with. My second brother suffered from depression in his mid 30s/40s and I helped him a lot through that very rough spot, which brought us closer.

I felt very close to my elder sister as there's just an eleven-month gap between us. It didn't last through adulthood though. She got married young and moved quite often.

My younger brother was really my baby, he was three years younger than me and the one I would play with, help and go out with most of the time. He struggled with alcoholism most of his adult life and died a few years ago. I did my best to be there for him and I'm sure he knew and appreciated but eventually I could not do more to save him.

I've always had a more open, straightforward relationship with my younger sister. She was from a different generation from our eldest, and we felt more connected to each other in many ways. Nowadays it's the one I call or see the most.

Comment

Working...
                      X