Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lack of communication and speaking practice. How you solve this problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of communication and speaking practice. How you solve this problem?

Hi, Interpallers!
    I wonder if any of you have the same problem that I have.
    I don't speak only about English. I'm sure that it happens in every foreign language.

I started to learn English by myself three years ago. I couldn't read, write, speak and understand while listening. I started from scratch. Eventually I learned more. Easy books, podcasts, films etc. I practised everything except speaking. Why? Because I have no real person to speak with. So it was normal, when I started to seek someone for friendship and speaking practice online. But after four-five times I was frustrated. I found some problems that I couldn't solve:
    1. I had a fear to make a mistake and look like a fool.
    2. I pronounced the only phrases that I sure is correct(It;s not very engaging either useful)
    3. Because of lack of vocabulary, topics for chat was too small.

After getting too much stress I gave up and began texting for improving language skills, but problem of lack of speaking practice still with me.

Am I only one with such a problem?
    Yes, I have the same problem and can do nothing, except masseging
    33.33%
    Yes, I have the same problem, but I'm trying to do my best to speak
    33.33%
    No, I don't have such a problem
    33.33%
    No, I don't have such a broblem now, but some time ago it was really deficult and stressful
    0.00%
    Last edited by Gordvoln; 02-18-2016, 04:44 PM.

i dont' have problem and i don't know a word of english (my level skill is now h1... mean handicap 1) ...

(i don't have time to study so i have thought to learn in action directly)

but when i have found some strangers I was able to speak one hour... they have to shoot me... to put me in gas chamber...

i think it depend by own character...

people have too problems in their mind...

we are here to destroy english...

not for preserve it... ha ha...

there isn't people to speak...

this is the problem...

so i think it depend by the situation...

you have to go in the situation they need to speak with you, because need something you have...

for example i start to go to a school by night...

it's for people old like me...

we read some books...

make some joke...

write short story...

it's very funny...

they every time are angry with me... for my scientific destruction fo english...

in the beginning was a distaster for me...

i thought they want to kill me...

i mean the protestants... who don't catch the concept of free will...

liberty we have in our language...

they have a language describe outside situations with the words... obsession of the timeline... the coerence... the exact situation...the number... the logic...

our language describe interior situation... inside world...

i catch it read parallel texts...

so in the beginning they wanted to kill me...

because i want to put this interior meaning in this new language...

but now they start to appreciated my good intention...

they start to undestand the mission..

and love, a bit, the destruction of their own language...

Last edited by LORENZ117; 01-28-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordvoln View Post
      I found some problems that I couldn't solve:
      1. I had a fear to make a mistake and look like a fool.
      2. I pronounced the only phrases that I sure is correct(It;s not very engaging either useful)
      3. Because of lack of vocabulary, topics for chat was too small.
      Yeeeeeeeeeep. I get incredibly nervous speaking anything other than English. I mostly just talk to myself and try to copy people that I listen to on Youtube

Comment

don't you speak wth yourself in your language...

i'm used to speak with myself... i make my travel.. my thought...

you need only to make the same in in another language...

when you speak with someone it's something natural...

because you are used to think in this language...

surelly you look a fool...

and they think you are an idiot...

it's excactly how it work...

personally i think the same of them...

Comment

Yeah, I've been exposed, and thus learning English since I was a baby. In all these years, however, my communication with people was never in any way other than textual, so I probably have a horrible accent. Did a test for English translating/transcription job that requires listening tapes somewhat recently. I couldn't understand half of the names, and while I scored great on general US English test I had to concentrate so much to know what some words are cause the guy on those tapes wasn't talking like in the movies, he was speaking causal, smooth American English where half of some words are "swallowed", if that makes any sense, so I realized my understanding is not that great either. I'll definitely have to find some speaking partners, but it's going to be hard to find people who'll want to Skype chat.

Comment

Originally posted by LORENZ117 View Post
            don't you speak wth yourself in your language...
            Doesn't everybody speak with themselves? I thought that was normal

When I said I speak with myself to practise a language. I meant I read phrases and words out loud to myself. I use a book and the accompanying audio to practise speaking exercises.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCheeseWeasel View Post
              Doesn't everybody speak with themselves? I thought that was normal

When I said I speak with myself to practise a language. I meant I read phrases and words out loud to myself. I use a book and the accompanying audio to practise speaking exercises.
              I totally mentally skipped over your "English" and "Tasmania". I was 100% sure you live in Russia, for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Filip2 View Post

I totally mentally skipped over your "English" and "Tasmania". I was 100% sure you live in Russia, for some reason.
                It happens.

Comment

I have no speaking partners to practice language. Time to time I watch movies with subtitles to get accustomed to foreign speech. Or read aloud while reading books and try to imitate the different accents. I think it will be good to choose one certain accent to practice. In example, I've heard that British people listen to BBC to practice pronunciation .

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. If you dont have anyone to talk to in english in real life, find someone you can talk to online, get on skype or teaspeak and chat.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeday View Post
                      Practice, practice, practice..

okay then

Comment

I am not used to speaking English either and so I often stutter and search for words which I usually can use in written form. I think it needs practice, to talk to preferably native speakers. My problem is that I am a very shy person and I can't force myself to actually go and talk to a person, be it Czech or English.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrighann View Post
                          I am not used to speaking English either and so I often stutter and search for words which I usually can use in written form. I think it needs practice, to talk to preferably native speakers. My problem is that I am a very shy person and I can't force myself to actually go and talk to a person, be it Czech or English.

Yeah, that's also a problem. Especially since it's not your language and you're even more insecure. I used to have a gang of dudes hanging on Skype, they were all Americans and Brits. Every time they started a conversation over mics I was pretending I'm away, which was awkward when my last message came in less than a minute ago.

Comment

I've been lucky to grow up in a country where there is high focus on language learning, many popular medias being in English (as in little to no dubbing, more subbing. Looking at you Romance-speaking countries..), and a personal interest and enjoyment in the English language.
                            I think I can also be a little nit-picky about writing correctly.
                            Oh and also I'm currently in a job that requires me to speak English all the time. In fact, I more often forget the Norwegian word for something when I'm speaking, but remembering the same word in English.

Advice would be the same as for Smoke(weed every)day. The more you use it, the more pieces will fall together and the better you'll become.

Comment

Well that,^^, although it's not only romance speaking countries, there's also germans hungarians, some slavs etc.

Though, continental north germanic languages aren't that different to english anyway so that would also explain the ease with which a greater part of their population manages to grasp the language quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X