No announcement yet.

How do you learn a new language alone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you learn a new language alone?

Hi!

My name is Marcos and I am a Medical student from Brazil. I have some skills in reading, because it is very used in my area. But I have many difficulties with the other skills in the language (listening, speaking and writing). I am trying to learn German too, but it's hard in begining.

How do you learn a new language alone? I don't have many time (my compromises have almost 80 hours of my week) or money to pay a particular teacher or even a virtual one. What do you say to me?

Im by no means a professional but I find that the best thing to do first is always learn the alphabet and all the sounds used in the language, im not sure if this will work as well for german as Korean or Japanese (which are the languages I have worked on), but getting a general idea of how to pronounce words through how they are written will help a lot when studying alone via the internet. Finding this info should be relatively simple as it's the basics, just google free lessons or look up youtube videos. Once you got that part down it just becomes a matter of building up your vocabulary which is more of a time consuming process than anything else.

There is no substitute for exposure to the language you are looking to learn, even if you don't know the words try to listen to music, watch movies, etc in your target language. It'll help you retain info you have learned and correct mispronounciations of the words that you -did- know and all that. Also of course, look into language exchange on here - might be someone in a similar position open to voice chatting once in a while.

Comment

I love to study a bit of other language just for fun and I noticed I learned them quickly by familiarizing to the sound and pronounciation of the words.it requires very good memory in order to mimic the sound of words.German sounds weird to me because it sounds like twisted English with accents like Polish or Russia.try to grasp the sound of each word because oftentimes the written letters are in silent form or different from the known language you speak.onced achieved, try to learn them by phrases or sentences side by side with your native language so you understand what they mean.

Comment

I started learning Chinese a month or so ago, and while I attend courses, it's still not enough (2 times a week only). I downloaded couple of free apps on my phone and always use them when I have some free time on my hands. Since Chinese consists of characters, I draw each at least 10-15 times, every single day. So the idea is to devote at least 15 min. a day, but consistently. Internet is full of both free and paid resourses, you only need to be motivated enough. Good luck!

Comment

I'm using Michel Thomas audio books to learn French and Russian. Usually has 8 CD's each with 10-16 audio clips per CD. Going through 1 CD for each language/month so by next Spring I might be ok with basics of both languages.

Comment

I personally wouldnt waste time learning a new language at home, it wouldnt work as long as you dont practice it in its homeland where you can use in daily life. Besides life is too busy to learn a new language at home. I prefer learning it in its native country so you can also experience its culture and traditions, it's more fun.

Comment

Where there's a will there's a way.. I'm studying Spanish on my own -actually I haven't been studying it for weeks- but I will start studying it again at this night So I'll say what I'll do. I have two grammar books, one is for beginning and the other one is for advanced level. Each day I'll study 20 mins for grammar, memorize at least 10 words, When I have enough vocabulary I will start to speak it to somebody, it doesnt matter whether they know the language or not, it just helps me to make sentences on my own. There are many podcasts and applications for foreign languages, so I will also download them. Then I am thinking to take courses for it after a few months later in order to approach to the level I want since courses provide 'speaking clubs' to practise the language.. Good luck for you, I am really regret that I didn't create enough time for foreign languages when I was at university.

Comment

its really hard to learn english on my own. the reason not to speak is mostly psychologic. whenever we face someone in via or real life, we get excited and expect from ourself a excellent performance. we need to just relax and give our times.

Comment

Originally posted by Madric View Post
                  Hi!

My name is Marcos and I am a Medical student from Brazil. I have some skills in reading, because it is very used in my area. But I have many difficulties with the other skills in the language (listening, speaking and writing). I am trying to learn German too, but it's hard in begining.

How do you learn a new language alone? I don't have many time (my compromises have almost 80 hours of my week) or money to pay a particular teacher or even a virtual one. What do you say to me?
                  I know in English speaking countries there are childrens television shows dedicated to teaching kids how to speak English. They are mostly based on speaking and listening, perhaps there is something similar in German you could listen to even at night before bed, on your commute etc.

Seriously just went looking for some of the look and read series they used to show us in school, and these people must have been HIGH!!

Last edited by ChiQ_; 09-23-2016, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I have been learned ASL through youtube. It's very useful learn something on youtube.

Comment

I think we're have same problems....

Comment

Originally posted by BosphorusTaurus View Post
                        I personally wouldnt waste time learning a new language at home, it wouldnt work as long as you dont practice it in its homeland where you can use in daily life. Besides life is too busy to learn a new language at home. I prefer learning it in its native country so you can also experience its culture and traditions, it's more fun.
                        He explicitly said he has no money for a teacher, but you suggest him to travel to another country to learn a language? And that's absolutely wrong. I've never been in a country where English is spoken natively, and I think my English is fairly good.

My suggestion is to get the hang of the basics, alphabet, if it's different from yours, structure of the sentences, a decent amount of vocabulary (and with English you obviously already did), and then go online. I've honed my English mostly through video games and forums, post in English wherever you can, and have your dictionary on the side so you can look up every word whose meaning you don't know. It's obviously not going to be as fast as actually going to another country, but it's definitely not futile to do it at home, and not everyone has time and/or money to travel around to learn languages.

Comment

There is this app called Duolingo which could help.

Comment

hello everyone) do you agree that one of the important aspect of languages is speaking?

Comment

Have you ever thought about kids who can easily speak and can not read and write?

Comment

Working...
                              X