Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The future

    What is your biggest concern about the future and humanity? And why? (War, society, environment, etc.)
    What thing do you perceive to be the biggest concern in your life/future? Why? (Job security, etc)

  • #2
    For humanity, it's firstly climate change and secondly, the social climate in Europe, especially in Germany where my wife's family is located.

    For my life, it's my health. I have some illnesses that aren't going away.

    -----------

    TERRORISM & MILITARY ACTION
    While the threat of terrorism from extremists groups are real in Europe and the Alt-Right has an obnoxiously vocal disposition that actually has helped flame the fires of ignorance and bigotry, fortunately, those sort of things hasn't quite hit home. While there are the rare handful of people that have tried to spread that BS here, for the most part, they have been silenced quite epically by the vast majority of intellectuals. I'm speaking specifically of Canada here.

    More specifically in Metro Vancouver and the province of British Columbia, while we have our own series of threats from these same terrorist groups, for the most part, they haven't been able to do much. On a broader military scale, it's next to impossible for anyone to invade Canada from the Pacific. In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, we have Pearl Harbour and the US Pacific Fleet which consists of 200 warships, 2000 aircraft and over 250,000 naval personnel. Then just a couple of hours of ferry ride from here in our provincial capital, we have the Maritime Forces Pacific fleet which consists of 14 warships and 6,200 naval personnel. Then of course, the various coast guard and US fleet patrols up and down the west coast of North America.

    CLIMATE CHANGE
    This wasn't very noticeable until somewhat recently. Opponents to it have been saying that climate change is a natural occurrence. That's true, BUT they fail to recognize that the rate of climate change in the recent decade and a half has quadrupled compared to the gradual rate in the last few thousand years. This is very scary and so many people simply don't want to understand this.

    ------------

    Other than that, there isn't much I could do on a personal level. I have some friends whom are activists. Some of them are politicians. Some of them are in a position of wealth and power. So certain things in the background are happening.

    ------------

    What about you Natasha?
    Papier Love Story
    Don't believe in long distance romance? We found each other online in 2010, got married in 2013 and it all started right here on Interpals.
    [Youtube] [Facebook] [Website]

    Comment


    • #3
      I think there are many dangers for humanity, and climate changes or war is only a tip of the iceberg. Solar system is full of asteroids, comets and so on, surely we don't know all of them and we aren't ready for danger from space objects. Next one is a Sun and coronal mass ejection. Probably there are many hazards we don't know because our knowlege is not sufficient.
      So i think that we should be more concerned in threats we don't know or we don't have any influence of those. Of course all hazards are important.

      If you ask about me, a few years ago i was too much concerned of many matters. Now i'm in opposite of that, i don't worry about anything almost, especially of matters i have no influence of those. I think we should know threats, and try to prevent, but concerned make no good results. Probably it is not good attitude the same like my previous

      Sorry about my English

      Comment


      • #4
        Humanity --> climate change, discrimination and war.
        My life --> job security and where I end up in the future. Whether or not I can move to a country where I can marry my pillow.

        Comment


        • #5
          First the expansion of traditionalism/ extremism. In Islamic world they want to solve their problems with more and more Islamism, in Europe they don't want to deal with immigration just want to go back in the 60s, the result is a stupid "clash of civilizations", and other serious problems like climate change are not even topics because of this.

          As for my country: the hopes about normal western life are lost, authoritarianism is increasing, most people have a servile communist mentality and assist to this. The best people are leaving the country now. So no normal life, or it is possible only abroad.
          Last edited by aimeisan; 04-18-2017, 05:13 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I am trying not to think about the future too much so as to keep my mental balance. With regard to the current situation in the world, one naturally tends to have concern about the future of humankind, yet I am positive.
            I believe that things will gradually get better, some new technologies and inventions will be revealed and some other changes within this system will come as well.

            Comment


            • #7
              My biggest concern about humanity is that eventually we will run out of material to make memes out of.
              My biggest concern about my personal life is that I won't be able to keep adding mass to my gluteus. .

              Comment


              • #8
                I have just read an interesting article on this topic. I will paste some of it here but forgive me as the editing capabilities on this website are poor.
                According to findings that Motesharrei and his colleagues published in 2014, there are two factors that matter: ecological strain and economic stratification.

                The ecological category is the more widely understood and recognised path to potential doom, especially in terms of depletion of natural resources such as groundwater, soil, fisheries and forests – all of which could be worsened by climate change.

                That economic stratification may lead to collapse on its own, on the other hand, came as more of a surprise to Motesharrei and his colleagues. Under this scenario, elites push society toward instability and eventual collapse by hoarding huge quantities of wealth and resources, and leaving little or none for commoners who vastly outnumber them yet support them with labour. Eventually, the working population crashes because the portion of wealth allocated to them is not enough, followed by collapse of the elites due to the absence of labour.


                For both scenarios, the models define a carrying capacity – a total population level that a given environment’s resources can sustain over the long term. If the carrying capacity is overshot by too much, collapse becomes inevitable. That fate is avoidable, however. “If we make rational choices to reduce factors such as inequality, explosive population growth, the rate at which we deplete natural resources and the rate of pollution – all perfectly doable things – then we can avoid collapse and stabilise onto a sustainable trajectory,” Motesharrei said. “But we cannot wait forever to make those decisions.”

                How Western Civilisation could collaspe

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Indifference. the world will always have conflict, but what makes us human is that we care and react. Now we are too focus on banalities and we are giving in to lives full of banal pleasures, people don't trust each other.

                  personally, I worry about not travelling and reunite with the people I love.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ricemonster View Post
                    For humanity, it's firstly climate change and secondly, the social climate in Europe, especially in Germany where my wife's family is located.

                    For my life, it's my health. I have some illnesses that aren't going away.

                    -----------

                    TERRORISM & MILITARY ACTION
                    While the threat of terrorism from extremists groups are real in Europe and the Alt-Right has an obnoxiously vocal disposition that actually has helped flame the fires of ignorance and bigotry, fortunately, those sort of things hasn't quite hit home. While there are the rare handful of people that have tried to spread that BS here, for the most part, they have been silenced quite epically by the vast majority of intellectuals. I'm speaking specifically of Canada here.

                    More specifically in Metro Vancouver and the province of British Columbia, while we have our own series of threats from these same terrorist groups, for the most part, they haven't been able to do much. On a broader military scale, it's next to impossible for anyone to invade Canada from the Pacific. In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, we have Pearl Harbour and the US Pacific Fleet which consists of 200 warships, 2000 aircraft and over 250,000 naval personnel. Then just a couple of hours of ferry ride from here in our provincial capital, we have the Maritime Forces Pacific fleet which consists of 14 warships and 6,200 naval personnel. Then of course, the various coast guard and US fleet patrols up and down the west coast of North America.

                    CLIMATE CHANGE
                    This wasn't very noticeable until somewhat recently. Opponents to it have been saying that climate change is a natural occurrence. That's true, BUT they fail to recognize that the rate of climate change in the recent decade and a half has quadrupled compared to the gradual rate in the last few thousand years. This is very scary and so many people simply don't want to understand this.

                    ------------

                    Other than that, there isn't much I could do on a personal level. I have some friends whom are activists. Some of them are politicians. Some of them are in a position of wealth and power. So certain things in the background are happening.

                    ------------

                    What about you Natasha?
                    I agree with you about climate change. I don't think people take into account the broader impacts from climate change - not just the environmental ones. I'm currently doing a thesis on high seas fisheries, and one of my topics is on how to manage them under climate change. The socio-economic fallout from a potential fisheries collapse would have serious implications for people. (E.g, loss of job, no food source/security).
                    Loss of food/resource security (particularly water) also creates conflict in places where it's already scarce. Plus, I think there's also issues concerning the humanitarian crisis that could erupt if people can no longer live where they currently are (Temperature increase). Which I feel would further burden the ongoing migrant problems.

                    War is also another concern of mine. But to be honest, Europe isn't at the top of my concerns. I dunno, perhaps it's because I live too far away. I don't pay much attention. Asia is of more interest to me. But, I think living in Tasmania creates a bubble where I feel detached from the broader global community.
                    Terror is a threat, though I feel quite safe in Australia.
                    I also think the hard core left are as problematic as the Alt-right. Between the two extremes nothing will get better. I find it irritating that that stuff is seeping into society here.

                    For me personally, job and financial security are my biggest concerns - particularity as I'm now in my last year of study.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by aimeisan View Post
                      First the expansion of traditionalism/ extremism. In Islamic world they want to solve their problems with more and more Islamism, in Europe they don't want to deal with immigration just want to go back in the 60s, the result is a stupid "clash of civilizations", and other serious problems like climate change are not even topics because of this.

                      As for my country: the hopes about normal western life are lost, authoritarianism is increasing, most people have a servile communist mentality and assist to this. The best people are leaving the country now. So no normal life, or it is possible only abroad.
                      I see, and what country are you from?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ursusarctos View Post
                        I think there are many dangers for humanity, and climate changes or war is only a tip of the iceberg. Solar system is full of asteroids, comets and so on, surely we don't know all of them and we aren't ready for danger from space objects. Next one is a Sun and coronal mass ejection. Probably there are many hazards we don't know because our knowlege is not sufficient.
                        So i think that we should be more concerned in threats we don't know or we don't have any influence of those. Of course all hazards are important.

                        If you ask about me, a few years ago i was too much concerned of many matters. Now i'm in opposite of that, i don't worry about anything almost, especially of matters i have no influence of those. I think we should know threats, and try to prevent, but concerned make no good results. Probably it is not good attitude the same like my previous

                        Sorry about my English
                        Haha, I didn't even consider asteroids

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheCheeseWeasel View Post
                          I see, and what country are you from?
                          Hungary...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What is your biggest concern about the future and humanity? And why? (War, society, environment, etc.)
                            The humanity will die in this form as it's nowadays, this is unavoidable. The question is, because of what, when and in what extent.
                            Humanity is too limited, because its fights permanently against own instincts and emotions, instead of using those as a gift what we should respect or using them as negative reference points. One individual can think logical and rational, perhaps even 20 of 100, but whole humanity is just a horde of crazy egoistic apes. Thus most of us will fail, especially in those continents with enormous population growth.
                            What thing do you perceive to be the biggest concern in your life/future? Why? (Job security, etc)
                            I just hope that i will have an 'uninteresting' life and will bite into the dust before this whole shit begins to cook over. Unfortunately I don't think i will be so lucky, because it has already begun to happen.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by TheCheeseWeasel View Post
                              Haha, I didn't even consider asteroids
                              Even today one asteroid went close to earth. Of course not so close to hit the earth were possible.
                              Last edited by ursusarctos; 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X