Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are so many people obsessed with Korea?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are so many people obsessed with Korea?

I don't remember ever seeing this many people that are obsessed with Korea, don't know if it started with Gangnam style, but just go to the search section and on each page you'll find at least 2 or 3 people whose profile's consist of Korea, Korea, Korea...

Why? What's so special about it that didn't exist a few years ago when no one cared about Korea? Japan is kinda similar, it has similar pop music, cities look way nicer, it has an amazing history, it's a entertainment capital of that part of the world and yet people rarely mention it, it's just Korea this, Korea that.

I'm even starting to feel resentment of Korea due to these people, even though I never cared about Korea.

Because it showed guts and it cannot be manipulated inspire of being a small country plus western girls like the alpha dog stuff so they are in to Korean boys because of it

Comment

Originally posted by ZeljkoC View Post
      Japan ... people rarely mention it, it's just Korea this, Korea that.

I'm even starting to feel resentment of Korea due to these people, even though I never cared about Korea.
      Are you saying that disgusting weeaboos don't annoy you?

Comment

Some guys mean that east Asian are tight, somehow had never a problem with the tightness on white girls, thus no opinion about that.

Comment

honestly i've been into kpop and all but i literally hate how korea is being glorified for no reason at all
          the only thing keeping korea popular nowadays are teenage girls who think they're edgy because they're obsessing over korean boybands rather than one direction and shit like that

Comment

Originally posted by Jovana99 View Post
            honestly i've been into kpop and all but i literally hate how korea is being glorified for no reason at all
            the only thing keeping korea popular nowadays are teenage girls who think they're edgy because they're obsessing over korean boybands rather than one direction and shit like that
            That's difficult to understand for a sane individual, why somebody is obsessed with a commercial boy band.
            However, I love Shakira because of her ass and legs, even if i know she is short.... too short. Nevertheless i'm not obsessed with Colombia nor USA because of that.

Comment

Yeah I'm very much obsessed with North Korea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post
                That's difficult to understand for a sane individual, why somebody is obsessed with a commercial boy band.
                However, I love Shakira because of her ass and legs, even if i know she is short.... too short. Nevertheless i'm not obsessed with Colombia nor USA because of that.
                i actually think it's not that hard to understand. kids usually get attracted to something that's new to them and since people like korean music they want to learn more so they start watching their tv shows, and while doing that they also learn the language...
                but they idolize it all a bit too much since korea is a country like any other and the only thing special about them is how boring korean people are when chatting online

Comment

Originally posted by Rurika View Post
                  Yeah I'm very much obsessed with North Korea.
                  and its handsome leader

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post

omg, even Shakira is not flawless for Hades the macho

Comment

Originally posted by Etsia View Post
                      omg, even Shakira is not flawless for Hades the macho
                      LOL yeah..but I like her

Comment

South Korea is in the midst of a cultural revolution, it's an interesting place that is just starting to take it's place in the global community. With the economy boom a lot more of that culture is also getting exported similar to how Japan have been doing for many years now. I don't think Japan is being out shined at all, they just don't have a monopoly on eastern pop culture anymore. On top of the cultural and economical Korea has also been in the headlines a lot recently, mainly due to the tensions with North Korea but also with the presidential impeachment, millions of people coming together in peaceful protest and actually accomplishing something? You gotta respect that, any other country and that's a recipe for violent rioting.

That said I have not run into a single person who seems obsessed with them on here, although I know a few exist.. Are you sure you are not actively going out to look for these people? For plenty of people to have an interest in Korea right now is nothing but natural, obsession though - I think you are exaggerating.

Comment

Originally posted by ZeljkoC View Post
                          Lol funny how you resent a country just because there are people obsessing over it.

Comment

i have some thoughts on it. the main audience who are obsessed with korean culture are teenage girls and maybe girls under 25. the only reason for that obsession - cute korean guys. The girls see them – either in k-pop or in their dramas. koreans choose the cutest males, cream of the crops- for roles in romantic films – not as the majority look like there, with androgynous features and fancy haircuts that young girls like.
                            Now why not japanese. japanese tv dramas are a bit specific, there is a touch of false modesty in there and it may feel a bit fake, also a storyline in their films are poorer. plus there is japanese weirdness in some films that may be a turn off. so most girls prefer more westernised version of tv series which is korean. Bingo.
                            Also the axiom- girls prefer tall men. Koreans choose the tall male actors for main cast, up to 185-187cm in height. Japanese males may also look ok but seems they never grow such tall, they are no more than 175 at best- if they are lucky. Mystery solved

Comment

I am interested in Japan so I know that k-pop was a thing before Psy. He only helped its popularity a little bit. Most of the ladies I know are into boybands but it was the same with j-pop or j-rock. But seriously, teenage girls will obsess about anything, be it a boyband or whatever. I agree that glorifying the country is not the best way but if they are truly interested, they will learn to see even the darker sides of the country. But I don't think these obsessions are that bad, they will learn about a foreign country, maybe even learn a new language, travel and see the world. What's the harm?

Comment

Working...
                              X