Should Men Pay On The First Date?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Men Pay On The First Date?

Equality between both genders are widely accepted in many parts of the world today. However there are still certain situations that may stir up indignation for one gender.

For instance, etiquettes regarding the first date bill. Most men may feel pressurised to pay for the first date. Who exactly should pay? Should women chip in as well? Go Dutch?

There are different notions surrounding the bill - they all vary from country by country. Depending on where you are from, some may be realistic to you and some, unrealistic and ridiculous.

People, share your opinions!

Yes men have to pay on the first date) in Russia at least) Men don't have to be greedy/ he is a man at least!

Comment

Originally posted by D2703D View Post
      Yes men have to pay on the first date) in Russia at least) Men don't have to be greedy/ he is a man at least!
      Just because he doesn't pay the full amount on the first date doesn't make him any less manlier in certain cases. But yeah I can see why some will assume he is being greedy What annoys me, however, is when females expect the males to pay for ALL the dates.

From my standpoint, I would offer even if my long distance boyfriend keeps on insisting that he wants to pay full. I am meeting him this month and he wants to pay for everything but I'm not going to let him. And my man should respect that!
      Last edited by Richa_; 06-07-2017, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greenbull-kills
        In India ,it'd be a sin even to think that the girl would pay for anything despite being with you. You'll be treated as a disgrace,called names and people will doubt your masculinity.
        That's terrifying! But what happens if you're broke and can't pay for her any longer? Marry her and ask her for dowry?

Comment

Originally posted by Richa_ View Post

That's terrifying! But what happens if you're broke and can't pay for her any longer? Marry her and ask her for dowry?
          This cracked me up. :P
          Basically a bait for the booty. XD
          Meow...meow...crab...

Comment

Yes, I want my man to pay on the first date. And preferably at least offer to pay during other dates too, even though we end up having separated bills or sometimes I pay for both. I count the initiative here. If we just go dutch all the time I feel like I'm just hanging out with a friend.

Comment

I paid always when i invited a girl even only a friend, but mostly 'dates' were coincidentally, or the girl hunted me.

For me is there nothing surprising, when i invite somebody to dinner in restaurant or a round drinks in a bar, as far as this person doesn't say that he/she will pay his/her things alone, then i feel obliged to pay. No matter girl, friend, collogue or a relative, for me belong such behavior to go good education.

Comment

Originally posted by hhypocrite View Post
                This cracked me up. :P
                Basically a bait for the booty. XD
                Basically Greenbull when he gets the dowry and officially secures the booty for himself:

Comment

Girl won't wait that long. Indian girls are smart, they'd assess the situation and get along with a richer guy before marriage proposal comes.
                  I'm sure not all indian girls want a rich guy though. For some, a crotch cannon can easily make up for it. Let's face it.

Comment

Originally posted by loony-moonchild View Post
                    Yes, I want my man to pay on the first date. And preferably at least offer to pay during other dates too, even though we end up having separated bills or sometimes I pay for both. I count the initiative here. If we just go dutch all the time I feel like I'm just hanging out with a friend.
                    Fair point! It's good when a partner takes initiative and picks up the tab at times instead of expecting the other to pay full or go dutch all the time.
                    Last edited by Richa_; 06-07-2017, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post
                      I paid always when i invited a girl even only a friend, but mostly 'dates' were coincidentally, or the girl hunted me.

For me is there nothing surprising, when i invite somebody to dinner in restaurant or a round drinks in a bar, as far as this person doesn't say that he/she will pay his/her things alone, then i feel obliged to pay. No matter girl, friend, collogue or a relative, for me belong such behavior to go good education.
                      Yeah I can understand why you feel the need to pay since you invited them. But what do you do when they choose the most expensive food and drinks? Still feel obliged to pay? What if you can't pay the bills?
                      Last edited by Richa_; 06-07-2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

You want me to be in prison , dowry system is illegal in India .
                        Oh I had no idea there was a Dowry Prohibition Act in India. That's actually fascinating. Thanks Greenbull, learnt something new!

Definitely I don't mean all the Indian girls , I was only talking about smarter ones who know that money can buy them huge nigger supersonic jets.
                        Well then I feel sorry for those materialistic girls or should I say, gold diggers.

Comment

Oh I had no idea there was a Dowry Prohibition Act in India. That's actually fascinating. Thanks Greenbull, learnt something new!
                          Not that I'm an expert, but I heard from some Indian friends that it is indeed illegal. But apparently it still happens a lot, especially in rural areas?

I don't mind paying my own food and drinks. The whole idea behind the man paying is that a man earns more and should therefore show that he can look after you. It is kinda sexist. After all, I can look after myself, and in some of the cases, I was making more money than my dates, so it seemed unfair to me to not pay anything. Also, some guys seem to think that if they buy you something they're entitled to sex or something like that. Just paying your own stuff can avoid that (but better still it is better to stay away from such guys altogether). However, most of the guys don't really accept when you want to pay, so then I just leave it..
                          Last edited by LadyJosh; 06-07-2017, 08:05 AM.
                          La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

Yeah I can understand why you feel the need to pay since you invited them. But what do you do when they choose the most expensive food and drinks? Still feel obliged to pay? What if you can't pay the bills?
                            Then it was the first and the last time i paid. Because to take not much more expensive drinks and dishes as the person who invited you belongs for me to good manners as well. A boor can't be my friend and certainly not my GF.

Comment

I think it's terrible that people have this expectation, it's ridiculously inequal - you can't stand up for equality and cherry pick only the good things, if you have this expectation of your man you should also expect for him to have certain traditional unfair expectations of you.

That said I'd personally offer to pay as a way of showing my affection, i'd like my date to feel special and well treated. But it should be my choice, i'd not want to date someone who expected it and would have gotten upset if I chose otherwise.

A good point was also raised above, if I am the one to ask someone on said date - it's okay to expect me to pay since im the one taking the person to these things, but a mutually decided date is different, also if a woman asked me out, I think she should offer to pay too. I'd not accept it, but the offer would go a long way to show that she's a modern and caring woman.

Usually the only argument I see for something like this is "Because he is a man!", well then.. She better take care of my kids and do all house chores when we marry, because she is a woman! Also, LOL @ the concept that the man is greedy if he doesn't pay for everything, when the woman is literally expecting someone else to -pay for everything-. That blatant hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                              X