Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which thinks are expensive and cheap in your country?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Candy is cheap
    .......expensive...high quality life...

Comment

Wet n Wild, E.L.F., Maybelline is cheap Mary Kay is expensive. I decided to compare two products that are similar. In the world of Sport Utility Vehicles the Jeep patriot Sport 2017 is $19,995 so cheap while the Mercedes-Benz AMG 2017 is $220,000 In my area a 4 bedroom 1,936 sq ft home on 10 acres complete with a bank barn, storage shed 2 bathrooms is $119,000 and up around the Bay area a 4 bedroom home with 2,115 sq ft .50 acres is $229,000 so it all depends on what you're comparing.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

Not really, from my perspective, wine and cheese are cheap in France. Inexpensive and of good quality, and with lots of variety. If I lived in France l would be a wino. All my SDF* friends and I would get together under a bridge and have wine and cheese parties.

*SDF: homeless person
        I have to agree with Santa Lux here. France is a very expensive country. I went to live in Finland for a few months and I was very anxious about the price of food and such (because of the high taxes in nordic countries). I even checked websites of supermarkets and such to find out whether I could afford living there as a student. When I came it turned out to be really ok and I didn't find the prices shocking at all. Many others thought it was an expensive country though. I later discussed this with a friend and he said: "Yeah, but then again, France is ALSO a really expensive country." I never looked at it that way because I was used to the prices, but it is true. Most items are cheaper in other countries I have visited (except Stockholm, that one was really expensive). I agree with you that wine is quite cheap (although it really depends, there is expensive wine, but also wine that won't cost you more than 3€). But you cannot only live on wine and it is the exception that confirms the rule I guess.

Cigarettes are expensive here. You'd pay 7€ for a Marlboro packet and 10€ for Samson (other brands of cigarettes that you roll yourself have similar prices I guess). Somehow though I don't know a country with as many smokers as France. Medicine like paracetamol and such is also quite expensive. In the Netherlands I wouldn't even pay a euro for a packet with 50 tablets. In France I'd pay something like 2,50€ for not even the same amount.

What is cheap though is education. Unless you want to do a Grande école, you probably won't end up with an insane student loan. I never paid any college fees when I was entitled to a scholarship. When that ended I did pay but it was just a few hundred euros ayear, so I just paid it out of my own pocket and I am quite grateful I am free of debt now that I have almost graduated (although some may say that the quality of higher education in France could be better, I don't know if it is true...). I also never paid anything for school books in high school. I borrowed them for free (or well, not really, but the region gave everyone coupons worth 60€ which covered up the costs). In university I would usually buy some books myself but never insane prices, and most of the books could be find in the library as well (I think this is different in the USA where it is mandatory to buy a lot of books?).
        La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

All is quite relative because it depends with what country you compare it. Plus many things are very specific and difficult to compare. so well...

I often checked out technology prices and the USA tends to be quite cheaper (easily a 25%), but technology is much more expensive in Brazil or Argentina than here. I find iPhones one of the easiest comparisons as the phone is sold everywhere with identical specs.

I live near Andorra and basically everything is cheaper there because the lower taxation... but apartments and phone plans are more expensive.

Now if we compare with France we are usually a bit cheaper, especially regarding tobacco or alcohol.

Olive oil is quite cheap in comparison with other countries, at least Andalusian olive oil. And since we can buy with big bottles (up to 5 litres) we can save money buying it big while in some countries supermarkets only sell tiny bottles.

Then rabbits or anything Catalan are either impossible to buy abroad or just very overpriced in very limited places.
          Last edited by Eimeric; 07-11-2017, 12:07 PM.
          ‎( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) I'm watching you

Comment

Originally posted by Faraniel View Post
            Clothes are expensive, beer is cheap.

Sounds like my kinda country.

Comment

In my place the land is expensive although condoms are given free

Comment

Originally posted by LadyJosh View Post

I have to agree with Santa Lux here. France is a very expensive country. I went to live in Finland for a few months and I was very anxious about the price of food and such (because of the high taxes in nordic countries). I even checked websites of supermarkets and such to find out whether I could afford living there as a student. When I came it turned out to be really ok and I didn't find the prices shocking at all. Many others thought it was an expensive country though. I later discussed this with a friend and he said: "Yeah, but then again, France is ALSO a really expensive country." I never looked at it that way because I was used to the prices, but it is true. Most items are cheaper in other countries I have visited (except Stockholm, that one was really expensive). I agree with you that wine is quite cheap (although it really depends, there is expensive wine, but also wine that won't cost you more than 3€). But you cannot only live on wine and it is the exception that confirms the rule I guess.

Cigarettes are expensive here. You'd pay 7€ for a Marlboro packet and 10€ for Samson (other brands of cigarettes that you roll yourself have similar prices I guess). Somehow though I don't know a country with as many smokers as France. Medicine like paracetamol and such is also quite expensive. In the Netherlands I wouldn't even pay a euro for a packet with 50 tablets. In France I'd pay something like 2,50€ for not even the same amount.

What is cheap though is education. Unless you want to do a Grande école, you probably won't end up with an insane student loan. I never paid any college fees when I was entitled to a scholarship. When that ended I did pay but it was just a few hundred euros ayear, so I just paid it out of my own pocket and I am quite grateful I am free of debt now that I have almost graduated (although some may say that the quality of higher education in France could be better, I don't know if it is true...). I also never paid anything for school books in high school. I borrowed them for free (or well, not really, but the region gave everyone coupons worth 60€ which covered up the costs). In university I would usually buy some books myself but never insane prices, and most of the books could be find in the library as well (I think this is different in the USA where it is mandatory to buy a lot of books?).
                I didn't find France that expensive. Then again I don't work in, or earn, French wages. While in France I looked into the cost of real estate in certain cities (Tours, Blois, Brest, Chartres) and none of the homes listed impressed me as especially expensive. Of course, real estate in Paris - like in New York - would be prohibitively expensive, especially for the young who usually earn less than older workers.

There may be other factors which influence one's perception of costliness. I already own a home, several vehicles and a bunch of stuff, all of it paid for. I have no debt. Those are the advantages of mature age. I have more disposable income than a person your age.

Still, France seemed to have prices similar to what I am used to here....with the exception of lower prices on alcohol and groceries. Actually, the only country that has struck me as inexpensive was Cuba.

Comment

I didn't find France that expensive. Then again I don't work in, or earn, French wages. While in France I looked into the cost of real estate in certain cities (Tours, Blois, Brest, Chartres) and none of the homes listed impressed me as especially expensive. Of course, real estate in Paris - like in New York - would be prohibitively expensive, especially for the young who usually earn less than older workers.

There may be other factors which influence one's perception of costliness. I already own a home, several vehicles and a bunch of stuff, all of it paid for. I have no debt. Those are the advantages of mature age. I have more disposable income than a person your age.

Still, France seemed to have prices similar to what I am used to here....with the exception of lower prices on alcohol and groceries. Actually, the only country that has struck me as inexpensive was Cuba.

You make a good point about how things have to be put in perspective as per your income. I feel that people in for example Germany, UK and northern Europe make better wages than people in France. Maybe because hiring someone is expensive in France as you have to pay all sorts of social benefits (it seems an employer has to pay twice of the money that the employer actually gets). So I think this is a thing. Then again, I found things to be really very cheap in eastern Europe. I found a pint of beer for about 1€ in Budapest and ate in a good restaurant at the main square in Krakow for a very reasonable price. My sister had even better experiences in Romania. But then I spoke to this Romanian girl and she explained me that minimum wage in Romania is only a few hundred euros and that real estate is actually kind of expensive, so it doesn't end up to be cheap at all for Romanian people.

And I agree that real estate is really kind of ok in France. The cities you name are actually not among the most attractive I guess, so you'd better look at Lyon, Nice, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nantes, Lille to give a few examples. But even in those cities you can get a fairly comfortable appartment for a reasonable price. Paris is crazy though (although apparently not as crazy as some other big cities like New York).

I don't know how Canada is, and which countries you have visited. My personal experience is that many European countries seem to be cheaper than France (not only eastern Europe, but also countries like Germany, the Netherlands or Belgium). But I agree that traveling doesn't really give you an idea about what a month rent would cost, or how much salary you would earn in that country, which kind of makes it difficult to compare in the first place.

Comment

I don't know how Canada is, and which countries you have visited. My personal experience is that many European countries seem to be cheaper than France (not only eastern Europe, but also countries like Germany, the Netherlands or Belgium). But I agree that traveling doesn't really give you an idea about what a month rent would cost, or how much salary you would earn in that country, which kind of makes it difficult to compare in the first place.
                    In Europe, I've visited the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Germany, Italy and I spent a couple of days in Liechtenstein. I found the cheapest country to be.....Switzerland. Fuel for the car was cheaper, and there were no tolls on the autoroute which made everything else seem cheaper. While there (for one month) I ate like the Swiss and drank Swiss wine, so food didn't seem prohibitively expensive. I'm not a meat eater, so I didn't have to buy 100euro steaks! My wife did have a $50 burger at MacDonalds in Vaduz...

A country's Gross Domestic Product adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity is one way of estimating the relative wealth of its citizens. An easy-to-consult list of the world's richest countries by GDP/PPP can be found on this site:

www.countries-ofthe-world.com

France is the 28th richest country in the world in terms of GDP/PPP. Netherlands is 15th, so...you've moved to a poorer country!

Comment

France is the 28th richest country in the world in terms of GDP/PPP. Netherlands is 15th, so...you've moved to a poorer country!

I know, but I didn't have much say in it considering I was 12. And there are other things I like about France, among which the fact that I live here and that, as I grew up here, I have become more familiar with how things are here than how things are in the Netherlands. It also gave me the opportunity to become fluent in French and to have a cross cultural experience. So yes, economy wise the Netherlands is obviously the better country out of the two, but I do like other aspects about France.

Comment

I know, but I didn't have much say in it considering I was 12. And there are other things I like about France, among which the fact that I live here and that, as I grew up here, I have become more familiar with how things are here than how things are in the Netherlands. It also gave me the opportunity to become fluent in French and to have a cross cultural experience. So yes, economy wise the Netherlands is obviously the better country out of the two, but I do like other aspects about France.
                        France is a nice place and it has a diversity of landscapes, moreso than the Netherlands. Both places are great, really. We know a cardiologist who works in Amsterdam and has been there for several years now. She was able to work in English at first but now she has picked up some Dutch. You couldn't work in English in France...at least, I don't think so.

Comment

And I agree that real estate is really kind of ok in France. The cities you name are actually not among the most attractive I guess, so you'd better look at Lyon, Nice, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Nantes, Lille to give a few examples. But even in those cities you can get a fairly comfortable appartment for a reasonable price. Paris is crazy though (although apparently not as crazy as some other big cities like New York).
                          Disagree for Nice, it's one of the most expensive city of France, and a very touristic (rich tourists ?) area, touristic areas aren't good to get cheap things. For the others ones, yes, it matter of taste to pick the city you want, I personally would never go for Toulouse :x

Comment

France is a nice place and it has a diversity of landscapes, moreso than the Netherlands. Both places are great, really. We know a cardiologist who works in Amsterdam and has been there for several years now. She was able to work in English at first but now she has picked up some Dutch. You couldn't work in English in France...at least, I don't think so.

I would say France is actually a very good country... without the French
                            It will be difficult to live as an english speaker only, yep.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

I would say France is actually a very good country... without the French
                              It will be difficult to live as an english speaker only, yep.
                              Said by a French.

Comment

Originally posted by loony-moonchild View Post

Said by a French.
                                You should know I'm Breton, me ! Mademoiselle!

Comment

Working...
                                X