Social medias, responsibility and regulation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social medias, responsibility and regulation

Russian deputies offered to fine people who write, post and repost illegal stuff and fake information. They think fine should be about $80000 (in russian currency). We all know how problematic and troublesome behavior of people can be online but on the other hand people are afraid of overregulation, abuse of power from authorities and too much of restrictions. So there are my questions:
    1. How do u think, should goverment regulates social medias?
    2. How is it regulated in your country?
    3. Is it enough of control over social medias or not?
    4. What should be regulated and forbidden and where is the line between control and security and freedom of speech?
    People who hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life.

Well, fake news on social media is a problem. But some people also share things without realising it is not true. Should they be punished for sharing something thinking it is true? And then there is also the fact that Facebook for example uses an algorithm which makes people see stuff according to their interests and things they posted previously, and this also contributes heavily to the spreading of "fake news" (or at least not entirely neutral news). Because I for example have quite liberal viewpoints, so I like and share stuff I agree with and I follow pages with like minded viewpoints. This seems quite natural, but it also means FB will show me more of that kind of stuff. In the same way, someone who likes extreme right, racist stuff will be shown more of the same thing. So in the end, FB confirms and reinforces a view of the world you are already somewhat having.

And who decides what is true and what is not? Russia could make a few efforts when it comes to democracy and free media, considering they murdered journalists on a few occasions for example, or the arrest of that band Pussy Riot, or the prohibition of "gay propaganda". Isn't this just an attempt to control social media and prevent people from posting or sharing stuff they don't agree with?
    Last edited by LadyJosh; 07-13-2017, 10:21 AM.
    La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

Originally posted by LadyJosh View Post
      Well, fake news on social media is a problem. But some people also share things without realising it is not true. Should they be punished for sharing something thinking it is true? And then there is also the fact that Facebook for example uses an algorithm which makes people see stuff according to their interests and things they posted previously, and this also contributes heavily to the spreading of "fake news" (or at least not entirely neutral news). Because I for example have quite liberal viewpoints, so I like and share stuff I agree with and I follow pages with like minded viewpoints. This seems quite natural, but it also means FB will show me more of that kind of stuff. In the same way, someone who likes extreme right, racist stuff will be shown more of the same thing. So in the end, FB confirms and reinforces a view of the world you are already somewhat having.

And who decides what is true and what is not? Russia could make a few efforts when it comes to democracy and free media, considering they murdered journalists on a few occasions for example, or the arrest of that band Pussy Riot, or the prohibition of "gay propaganda". Isn't this just an attempt to control social media and prevent people from posting or sharing stuff they don't agree with?
      Well thats the question, its not always easy to differ slander and real quite legit information, deliberate fake news and errors, point of view and insult. But for example how do u think where is the line between what should be regulated and what should be punished?
      People who hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life.

Comment

1. How do u think, should goverment regulates social medias?
        Prosecution of true criminal acts should be allowed, on the other hand i don't believe that a drug dealer is stupid enough to sell his stuff over social media site.
        On the other hand, those draconic punishments are only an attempt to scary off people to say their opinions. Those people who are applauding today about such new hard 'hate speech' laws, should consider that the attitude of government can easy change to their disadvantage.

2. How is it regulated in your country?
        Its normal. You can criticize everything and everybody as far as you don't incite to a crime act or violence.

3. Is it enough of control over social medias or not?
        I think there is enough control about social media at the moment, more will be taken as exaggerated censorship.
        Too much control will cause that social media goes into underground. Obtaining an IP of a user from a server in Tobago or Panama will be certainly difficult for prosecution in particular country which wants user data of somebody.
        On other hand you, can use proxies, VPN, Tor, I2P.... there are tons of possibilities to hide your identity on social media.

4. What should be regulated and forbidden and where is the line between control and security and freedom of speech?
        The line is very difficult to define and the right for hate speech will be certainly misused of governments which don't wish specific public opinions. YT has massively censored particular comments which were against illegal immigration, even if they were really not insulting or incited to violence. Twitter deleted lots of comments in similar way. Some opinions are not wished, even if they don't violate any law. Therefore the redline isn't the same for everyone and this is worrying.

However it think the mass of whole Internet and of the 'Dark-nets' in it, is too high that gouvernments are able to obtain 100% control over it.

Comment

1. Not.

2.Not yet, but every online butthurt idiot is trying to make things stick in court so.........................................laws and other crap in the making,lol.

3. Mainstream media and with that politicians(and just people) should stop taking "social media" so serious and give it validity. These days(smartphones/tablet/ect)the hole world is online(with multiple accounts lol).........take it for what it is, dont be naive, dont be paranoid, use your brain?(goes for the hole of the interwebz)

4. Nothing, they created the monster(lets run the hole world tru it,lol), now life with it(oops)........................lol.

Mzzls

Comment

Working...
          X