Who are the world’s worst tourists?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are the world’s worst tourists?

First, I would say, I dont like to stereotypes, I dont like thinking about any country's people like typical...
    So I would open this topic, not for hate orjudge each other, but a bit fun, or think about why people behave differently if they are free from their own cultures rules in abroad, where nobody knows them. Own experience, joke, local story welcome No fight - no offended please

This article say:
    1. Chinese
    2. British
    3. Germans
    4. Americans
    5. Israelis
    6. Russians

(I feel this 6 should be because they are maybe the most "number " of tourists..)

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-m...chinas-tourist

Due to my own experience. I usually see Russian tourists in hotels putting all kinds of food in their bags/purses. They also bring A LOT of food to their table and don't even touch it.

It's something we'd never do in our culture.

Comment

Americans at #4???

Americans don't travel much outside their own country, apart from short trips to Mexico and Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by Talise12 View Post
        why people behave differently if they are free from their own cultures rules in abroad, where nobody knows them. Own experience, joke, local story welcome

With 16 weeks of vacation time every year, I'm a frequent tourist, usually going abroad 3 times per year. When I'm on vacation, I do things I normally do not do. Bungee jumping, zip lining, dancing, swimming, restaurants, wine, visiting museums on rainy days...I just have fun. It is quite likely that my behaviour might seem odd to natives of the countries I'm visiting but that can be explained by cultural misunderstanding and the fact that I'm on vacation. The natives are going about their daily routine whereas I'm just having fun.

Comment

What a strange list.
          I ADORE Chinese tourists. They're the sweetest, most respectful tourists I've ever encountered, always oohing and aahing over everything. And they're hilarious when they drink beer. ;-)
          From my experience, it's the Aussies that are the loudest of them all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mroverwatch View Post
            They also bring A LOT of food to their table and don't even touch it.

It's something we'd never do in our culture.
            Bon appetit special price will be delivered in the plunge.
            Last edited by dmitri11; 07-15-2017, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Parisians are definitively the worst imo.
              Last edited by Sancta_Lux; 07-15-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

A few years ago had this summer job in the Versailles palace as a pollster. I had to stand in front of the souvenir shop, count people and ask every fifth person if they wanted to take the survey (this counting method was for neutrality reasons, so that I wouldn't only go up to people who seemed nice, but instead give an overview of everyone who visited the shop). I do get not everyone is interested in filling in a survey and that the methods I was asked to use could be described as somewhat agressive. Then again, the working conditions weren't so good and you were constantly treatened with being fired if you didn't meet your quota.

This however gave me the opportunity to observe tourists from different countries. I mostly found Europeans to be nice. I think because doing a city trip within Europe doesn't cost too much and the people I met were just fairly normal, "regular" people. There were French people also who were just on a day out. But there was also a different kind of tourists from other countries who thought being super rich and interesting as they were visiting Paris. So they acted really arrogantly. This was something I mainly saw in Americans and Chinese and to a lesser extent the Middle East (such as United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Qatar). A part from the US it was mostly people from developing countries were most annoying. My theory is that they used to be poorer, now all of the sudden they could afford a trip to Europe and therefore thought they were allowed to treat someone doing a badly paid student job like shit.

This was especially true for Chinese tourists. They were especially difficult to approach, but I think this is also a language problem. Most of them didn't speak English, so it was a little difficult, even though my tablet had translation functions in eight languages to help out in that. And cultural also, as I think that Asians are more distant than people from western countries. And it seems that, as they have a low criminality rate they are really warned for pick pockets and such when visiting Paris. So they probably just thought I was doing some scheme to rob them or something.

So yeah, I think rudeness can be misinterpretated due to cultural differences. But if I really have to name a few countries I'd say the US, China and the Middle East.
                La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

​I think LadyJosh has a valid argument. But I would identify two types of tourists I find annoying and disrespectful. The ones that have money and think they own the place are the worst. But this behaviour is also frequent among the budget travellers and package holiday crowds. A Dutch programme, once, showed an interview with a loud from my own country. This teenager was asked why he was behaving as he did (obnoxious, disrespectful, drunk, loud and causing damage). He replied it had taken him long to save for his holiday and that he felt he had the right to do those things. It, basically, is LadyJosh's argument in a different format.

​As I no longer frequent beach resorts, I cannot say who are the worst there. But Germans, Brits and Dutch behaved pretty obnoxiously when I did go there. I often here people complain about Russians. I do go to places where there are many Russians. There, they are among the most annoying tourists. Maybe, however, that is just because they are many. I have some good Russian friends that complain about the way their countrymen behave abroad. However, I used to be appalled by the behaviour of my countrymen.

​On the aeroplanes, I find Swedes and Israelis stand out as being extremely rude. Americans stand out by the dumb observations they make.

Worst of all, irrespective of their nationality, are tour groups. Moving around in flocks seems to make tourists dumber and more obnoxious than the worst of them when travelling alone.

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
                  Americans at #4???

Americans don't travel much outside their own country, apart from short trips to Mexico and Canada.
                  ​I wonder why many of the aeroplanes I fly on are half filled with American tourists, if they do not travel outside the States much. It is hard to miss them wherever you go, as long as you do not go to the beach resorts.
                  I hate forums

Comment

Chinese are the worst. First of all they all come in a group of 40-50 people everyday. Then, they throw litter everywhere (yes, they beat Indians easily in polluting any place LOL) , I don't know if they behave like that in their country but here they are usually the dirtiest tourists spreading diseases and tbh nobody likes them here. All of them wear face masks pretending that our city is dirty(though my city is extremely clean) though they usually come from cities where pollution level is so high that it forms smog there. And they also scream a lot in their own language"chin chin chin chiya chiya chim chim". LOL
                    We also have some Russians in my city and they are much nicer than Chinese. Infact, they are usually better than Indians. And LOL at that guy who said that Americans don't travel outside North America. LOL

Comment

Friends,

We have a problem with culture. communist seem to litter the most, because they always had people assigned to pick up stuff. it was there JOBS. so its ok, to litter, its not seen as bad.

the Chinese I see are very respectful. But this is mosly in the USA. Plus, I am 6 foot 4, so maybe they are nicer around me.. jajajaj

I am an american, but I can see many of these people just as "ignorant" of other cultures.. they are on vacation. so they are loud, and get drunk., and happy.... I am not sure if thats evil or not.

When I saw this list, the first think that jump to my mind was "russians' I would put them with american.. Loud.. drunk.. but very serious and not smiling. so they might "appear" evil, when in fact they are not. its just not there culture to smile, and be friendly to strangers.

All these things are my "Opinions" so they could be 100% wrong, but thats how I see it. Thank you.

dr. Darrell of Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Talise12 View Post
                        First, I would say, I dont like to stereotypes, I dont like thinking about any country's people like typical...
                        So I would open this topic, not for hate orjudge each other, but a bit fun, or think about why people behave differently if they are free from their own cultures rules in abroad, where nobody knows them. Own experience, joke, local story welcome No fight - no offended please

This article say:
                        1. Chinese
                        2. British
                        3. Germans
                        4. Americans
                        5. Israelis
                        6. Russians

(I feel this 6 should be because they are maybe the most "number " of tourists..)

http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-m...chinas-tourist

Russians and italians in my experiance
                        Why is it called a tourist season if we're not supposed to hunt them?

Comment

For Turks worst refugees are Syrians.(There are 3 million syrian in Turkey). But they are living like tourists. I am not hater like other Turks, but you can watch why they hate them.

Really irritating.

Comment

Americans are the worst, in my opinion : )

Comment

Met some americans a few times, didn't like it cause they said hi to me. Who do they think they are?

Comment

Working...
                              X