Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Fruit and vegetables' or 'fruitS and vegetables' Which is correct?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Fruit and vegetables' or 'fruitS and vegetables' Which is correct?

HI
    I saw in a book that people grow vegetables and fruit.
    Does it correct to say fruit without s ending?
    What's the difference between these two phrases: 'vegetables and fruit' and 'vegetables and fruitS'?

Urgghh you're making me think about language on my day off.. I'd say either one is correct. You'd say 'fruit and vegetables' when it's general, for instance: "You should eat 10 servings of fruit and vegetables per day." In this sentence it doesn't matter what kind of fruit material it is, as long as you're eating it. In the sentence: "I grow a variety of fruits and vegetables in my garden," you're stressing the variety, so it would be fruits. Although 'fruit' would also be acceptable. So either one really.

Comment

Fruit - uncountable and singular if you are referring to it in a quantity. There are oranges and mangoes in the bag, meaning there is 10kg of fruit for us to carry.

Fruit - countable if you are referring to different types; e.g. Apples, pears and peaches. These fruits are all healthy for you.

Vegetable - uncountable and plural when talking about quantities - whether a single variety or many varieties, e.g., The only serving of vegetables that the child eats is potatoes.

Vegetable - countable if you are referring to different types; e.g. potatoes, carrots and pumpkins. These vegetables are healthy for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Po84 View Post
        HI
        What's the difference between these two phrases: 'vegetables and fruit' and 'vegetables and fruitS'?
        The normal collocation used in English is "Fruit and vegetables" - as per the rules for uncountable use of "fruit" and "vegetable" I had stated in my last post.

Comment

Working...
        X