What should I do to sleep better? ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I do to sleep better? ?

What are the best tips and tricks for falling asleep without using sleeping pills when you have insomnia?

Reading a book or lay back with my eyes closed and visualize a computer or math problem in my head. Taking a warm shower and entering a cool room will slow down your metabolism and contribute to falling asleep faster. Listening to light ambient sounds though my ear phones.

Comment

2 hours on cross trainer and you sleep like a baby at night with guaranty.
      I have rather the problem that my sleep cycle has moved 4-6 hours behind people who work. Even if I try to wake up on 6am and drink a very strong coffee at morning my cycle comes back after few days again.
      Nevertheless sport helps a lot if you sleep irregularly or with a lot of short naps whole the whole day. It's easy you must be tired for sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Flesat View Post
        What are the best tips and tricks for falling asleep without using sleeping pills when you have insomnia?
        A glass of wine just before going to bed. Just one glass, not the whole bottle! ...that means 5 ounces or 150ml.

Comment

Originally posted by Flesat View Post

[FONT=Arial]Sleepissimple

Comment

count the cash before bedtime.

Comment

It is also advisable that you try to find the reasons for your sleep disorder. So, in addition to the above mentioned advice, you should also visit a good practicioner with whom you will be able to discuss the problem.
              There can be various reasons why one cannot sleep in spite of following the right regime: hormonal inbalance, nerve or mental disorder, or simple predisposition.
              Beware of consuming all substances that energetise body, such as caffene, alcohol, etc. before sleep.

We shouldn't forget about stress factor either, whether physical or emotional.

Sometimes I use melatonin as a supplement in order to improve my sleep.
              Last edited by Josef70; 03-20-2018, 06:44 PM. Reason: Additional info.

Comment

I count down from 99 over and over again in my head and it usually helps. You could also put on some music or sounds that you find relaxing, which for me is thunder

Comment

I think having sex may help.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

A glass of wine just before going to bed. Just one glass, not the whole bottle! ...that means 5 ounces or 150ml.

You're right...alcohol works like a charm. It is probably one of the best things to fall asleep other than taking a sleeping pill. But I usually take a Melatonin supplement once in a while. Not only do I fall asleep within 30 minutes, I also sleep deeper and feel refreshed for a few weeks after taking it.

Comment

i sometimes make myself wait 10 min in bed, if i'm not sleepy in that time i get up, that way i don't get anxiety from forcing myself sleep..

Comment

Originally posted by Dark-Matter View Post

You're right...alcohol works like a charm. It is probably one of the best things to fall asleep other than taking a sleeping pill. But I usually take a Melatonin supplement once in a while. Not only do I fall asleep within 30 minutes, I also sleep deeper and feel refreshed for a few weeks after taking it.

Yes, melatonin supplements are another option. I tried a melatonin supplement and, while I fell asleep easily enough, my sleep was disturbed...not very restful. It works for some people though, and they manage to get restful sleep. Melatonin supplements are available over-the-counter in my country and yours but they are available only with a prescription in places like New Zealand... Alisha could give melatonin a try if she can get the supplement without a prescription.

Comment

I've had plenty of problems with sleep so the standard answers are familiar, and what ends up working well for me beyond that.

If you can identify causes for insomnia that's a good start. Sleeping at inconsistent times might be one cause; shifting cycle on the weekends, or throwing off consistency through napping. It's easier to stay on a cycle if you are consistent.

Doctors tend to advise against using a computer, smart-phone, or watching television right before sleep because the light can supposedly throw off a natural sleep tie-in with darkness. I'm not so sure about all that.

My mother has lots of problems with insomnia and she watches a movie she's seen a lot of times. For her the familiar repetition helps quiet her mind, I think.

As for drugs melatonin is the one that comes up, an herbal supplement instead. Supposedly it helps restore sleep cycle without working in the same way other sleeping pills do, knocking you out directly. It should be less habit-forming in that regard, easier to use for a limited time without depending on it to sleep later.

Sometimes I can use a breathing practice trick to help fall asleep. It's not unrelated to a standard meditation technique, just adjusted for a different purpose.

One cause of sleep problems is your mind "racing," which is hard to resolve. You can slow down your mental activity by watching your breathing, by slowing breathing gradually by focusing on one breath after the other.

It's not exactly easy to do without practice. You most definitely can't cause your own thinking to slow down directly, but indirectly you sort of can. At first you probably wouldn't get past a few breaths before you'd be paying attention to only the thoughts instead, but with limited practice it's not so hard to focus on both, and let the pace of the breathing slow naturally.

If you can get it to work your mind will gradually slow over a relatively limited time, maybe over five minutes or so, but it's not really something you can keep track of, how long it takes.

Comment

I think alcohol isn't a good option for insomnia.
                            Usually I become sleepy after one or two glasses wine, but after few hours I got sober, I'm waking up and can't fall asleep again. Alcoholism begins often with drinking a glass wine for a good sleep.
                            Most people which I know who are complaining about insomnia take 1-2 hours nap after dinner and complain that they can't fall asleep at usual night times. For me is the solution easy, don't take a nap at afternoon and you will sleep at night. However this is like talking with a wall.

Comment

I find reading theological texts usually works well for insomnia. Mostly, they are boring, pointless and repetitive. Reading them is a slightly more sophisticated version of counting sheep.

However, there is a bit of a danger in this. Some of these texts are so poorly written, contradictory and even outright hypocritical that they make for great unintentional comedy and can keep you up for hours.

I guess the same can be said for some of the posts on the forum here, including some with a theological basis

Comment

Working...
                              X