Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's leaving Facebook? Everyone it seems..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's leaving Facebook? Everyone it seems..

Mark Zuckenberg got caught with his pants down with the Cambridge Analytica scandal and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

Many people are now abandoning Facebook and so are the advertisers. Many billions of dollars have already been wiped from Zuckenberg's fortunes.

Who's leaving Facebook, who's staying and why stick around or why get out?

And.... who's never been on Facebook?

Me, I've never had a Facebook account and I'm now sitting back with the popcorn enjoying the show

What do you think the future holds for Facebook? Will it recover from all this or will Facebook turn into something like Myspace?

I can just speak about my little facebook world: Nobody is leaving, nobody is even talking about it. I think Germans always were aware of facebooks nature - and we either ignore that deliberately or adapted our way of using it accordingly from the beginning. I'm still flabbergasted what effect this "scandal" has.

Everything what is technically possible will be done - natural law.
    Everybody who expects something else is naive.

(Most naive people I met in the net are US-citizens.)

PS: I wonder why the news are so silent about Cambridge Analytica. THIS is the organization which should be investigated. Facebook was the weapon only. Thats like blaming the knife for killing.
    Last edited by Suna123; 03-29-2018, 08:25 AM.
    In dir muß brennen, was du in anderen entzünden willst. What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. [Aurelius]

Comment

I had a real account on FB, Twitter, Instagram in my study time because I was with people together for them was this some kind of fetish to use it in an extensive manner.
      After study and break up with my former partner I have deleted all of them. I have several fun accounts and some few I created for promotion of my 3D models, but never with real name. I didn't log in into most of them since month or years.
      Most people which I know behave that way, their real accounts are deleted or inactive since years. We chat and talk mostly over TS3 server what is paid by guys which have a WoT and WoWs game clan. It isn't a big deal to create a TS3 server on own home PC or laptop, if you want talk really 100% private with someone.
      With Skype, FB, Twitter, G+ and Instagram you just give food for corporation which sell your data to everyone. If you don't pay for something then you're the ware.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post
        Most people which I know behave that way, their real accounts are deleted or inactive since years. We chat and talk mostly over TS3 server what is paid by guys which have a WoT and WoWs game clan. It isn't a big deal to create a TS3 server on own home PC or laptop, if you want talk really 100% private with someone.
        With Skype, FB, Twitter, G+ and Instagram you just give food for corporation which sell your data to everyone. If you don't pay for something then you're the ware.
        same here. After a short period with Discord, everybody is back to TeamSpeak.
        Last edited by Suna123; 03-29-2018, 09:01 AM.
        In dir muß brennen, was du in anderen entzünden willst. What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. [Aurelius]

Comment

I don't understand the scandal... I mean, everyone knew it since long ago, so why are they playing the frightened virgins ?

Comment

Originally posted by Suna123 View Post
            I can just speak about my little facebook world: Nobody is leaving, nobody is even talking about it.
            If you are in business, for example, or selling services then not being on Facebook is something of a huge disadvantage business-wise. Significant names are presently breaking this mould. Huge advertisers right now are leaving Facebook in droves. For example Unilever is threatening to pull their advertising and that was even before the Cambridge Analytica scandal became public:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...acebook-google

Since then, huge numbers of advertisers look like they are going to pull the plug on Facebook:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/22/...rs-may-follow/

The really fun one I saw was a poll on Slashdot, a website frequented by the largely technically literate and competent. Although the numbers are for "voluntary" voting, they tell a very interesting story:

https://slashdot.org/pollBooth.pl

I think Germans always were aware of facebooks nature - and we either ignore that deliberately or adapted our way of using it accordingly from the beginning. I'm still flabbergasted what effect this "scandal" has.

Everything what is technically possible will be done - natural law.
            Everybody who expects something else is naive.
            I'm quite sure that those from the former DDR can quickly add 2 and 2 together regarding pervasive surveillance. As for the Western part of Germany, I suspect that there is perhaps a certain naivety which exists there to some extent. Even so, quite a few would be able to see a bit of cause and effect going on.

The Slashdot poll I mentioned above also does say something very interesting - over 1/3 of its readership who voted in the poll had never had a personal Facebook account. Yes, it is obvious also if you have at least basic technical competency and understanding about computing and internet.

(Most naive people I met in the net are US-citizens.)
            A diet of US sitcom TV + Fox/CNN and a lowest common denominator education system makes for not so many who can even put 2 and 2 together. The tsunami is going to hit them soon.

PS: I wonder why the news are so silent about Cambridge Analytica. THIS is the organization which should be investigated.
            The "fun" is just beginning. Cambridge Analytica seem to be "implicated" in Brexit and this is not at all being kept silent in Britain:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...al-theresa-may

Things are just about to get even hotter. This came in just 2 or 3 hours ago as I'm writing this...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-fa...-idUKKBN1H51VW

There's a parliamentary committee in Britain requesting Mark Zuckenberg to attend an enquiry and he's refused and instead sending along one of his CEOs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43474760

Very bad move from Zuckenberg - the British are really going to fry Facebook for that, in the manner how things work in Britain when such polite requests are refused.

Facebook was the weapon only. Thats like blaming the knife for killing.
            Depends on the knife... you can't blame a manufacturer of high quality chef's knives for one of their products being used in a fit of rage to murder someone. On the other hand, you can definitely blame the manufacturer of a flick knife which is definitely manufactured and designed to be highly concealable and is useless for "normal" activities such as cutting up vegetables and can be only really be used for stabbing people.

Zuckenberg has always been a slime. And given his character over time, it's pretty safe to say that he's been making and selling flick knives away from the spotlight. I'm wondering what other dirt is going to come up about him. Puppy-eyed apologies and full-page newspaper advertisements are simply not going to cover the damage it would seem.

Comment

I use a fake account on facebook. When facebook wanted me to "prove" my identity, I even photoshopped a photo ID, hehehe.

Anyway with that being said, I find facebook to be excellent for sports/hobby groups. It's a good way to chit chat with other like minded people and learn new things about your interests.
              If you need to know how to live your life, simply consult the internet. The endless wealth of knowledge from clueless cunts will lead you toward enlightenment. -- Muckmouth.com

Comment

I've heard now and then from friends or colleagues that they leave facebook due to privacy issues. For myself, I've never had a facebook account.
                Niin, łell, äkschly...

Comment

I still use FB, in fact it's the site I visit the most. I follow many pages and it's my main chat. I have a semi empty profile, most of my FB data is fake and I don't plan to add anything else new. I'm concerned about these privacy issues but I don't think deleting FB would actually force the company to delete all data they gathered from me in the last decade. I think FB will remain strong for some more years. Facebook is very farm from perfect but it's the most complete and most popular social media. Many people actually don't really care about privacy and data-stealing issues.
                  ‎( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) I'm watching you

Comment

All manner of puppy dogs are encouraged FB. Why do Zuckenberg always have to be a pig who's aggressively requesting to write confidential (sensitive, private) data? And this creature of the dark side of rotting Zionism.
                    Last edited by dmitri11; 03-30-2018, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Well, it seems the popular thing todo atm, but most people have no clue about privacy/data//internet, so meh. If your gonna be paranoid about your data/privacy? to little,to late...................and if you think leaving Facebook will make any difference,lol. I dont care, i know all the tricks to hide, dont use any. And the fact my goverment keeps all my(important) data, very badly secured on the web, makes everything lol.

Never used FB or most other "social" media, never saw any use for it.........my social media is games(TS), some forums.some comment sections, ect. But these days is all very low key, rl eats all my time and energy/patience, cant really be bothered anymore.

Mzzls

Comment

I remember a similar wave of sentiment back when it seemed like G+ really was going to be a social media site option, about people leaving Facebook.

The funny part was how much of a big deal people would make of it, posting their reasons, and urging other people to leave as well. They could just delete the account. Of course maybe not eliminate the data, really part of that problem.

In the blogging circles I'm in people are headed in the other direction. 5 to 10 years ago it was common write under a user name instead of a real one, to keep identity personal. Now it's more common for people to blog as themselves, and to link different social media accounts together.

It was never really about information being sold in the past, more paranoia about identity theft and such, or psychopaths potentially targeting more public individuals.

I don't think Facebook is going anywhere, even if user numbers will eventually decrease. I also doubt they're much worse than companies like Google when it comes to using or selling information, or any others.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post
                          ... Will it recover from all this or will Facebook turn into something like Myspace?
                          A least developed losers had been only further impoverished and marginalized ... are pushed aside on Myspace and FB.

Comment

I'm not a fan of facebook or any other social media websites. I have an account on FB but rarely log in and do so just to chat with relatives and very close people who are the only ones I accept as friends. I think FB will remain popular for some time but I have noticed FB is a platform which dances according lefto fascists' tune and which allow ISIS members to have their accounts so am in fact thinking if it is wise to remain a user of FB. If not my close people whom I can connect with by FB, I would have left.

Comment

I can't leave facebook sadly even though I've deactivated it in the past. It's valuable on some degree

Comment

Working...
                              X