Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's leaving Facebook? Everyone it seems..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't Zuckerberg supposed to be " minding the store ",,where was the security ?

Comment

I have left using it personally 4 years ago. But yes, I haven't deactivated it, but still use it for marketing, promotional or branding activities.

Comment

Zuckerberg wasn't caught with his pants down,,,he was caught with ALL his fingers in the cookie jar selling your private information..

Comment

I can't leave facebook sadly even though I've deactivated it in the past. It's valuable on some degree

Comment

Originally posted by Elishar View Post
            Zuckerberg wasn't caught with his pants down,,,he was caught with ALL his fingers in the cookie jar selling your private information..
            Mister [Sugar mountain] created very sweet bait for all attention hungry people. I personally found the media hype about FB decade ago a little bit suspicious, it isn't so that sites with chat and talk option were something new as FB appeared.
            I can remember as kid while I had first contact with internet that AOL in time of analog modems had already all such functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Elishar View Post
              I should edit the OP to state that "Zuckerberg was caught with his pants down and he was caught with ALL his fingers in the cookie jar selling your private information."

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

I should edit the OP to state that "Zuckerberg was caught with his pants down and he was caught with ALL his fingers in the cookie jar selling your private information."
                All the birds with the same stone ? That sounds good...

Comment

I haven't had Facebook for 8 years and it's so freeing, I'm glad every day since I deactivated.

Comment

Originally posted by Blanketofstars View Post
                    I haven't had Facebook for 8 years and it's so freeing, I'm glad every day since I deactivated.
                    I bet you're even happier when you see headlines about the scraping of data like today's headlines:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-0...siders/9620678

Comment

Does it matter that much when your data is just as irrelevant as you are? People with sensitive data already don't partake in useless quizzes like those created by Cambridge analytica.
                      And why so much hate for Zuckerberg? I wonder what others would do for the expansion of their company. Just put yourself in the place of Zuckerberg and then assess the situation. It's unsafe to use any internet product in general and they all are threat to the safety of your personal data, including Interpals ,where many people including a team of moderators,admins and advertising companies (in case you click on them) can have direct access to your account.

Comment

A lot of people are attached to fb, I dont think they are leaving anytime soon.
                        I have deactivated mine long time ago because it had little to no contribution to my life.
                        I only use it to spy on people since everyone there is willing to post everything about themselves lol.

Comment

Here's Zuckerburg getting caught telling outright lies to US Congress.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology...ectid=12031316

Comment

Everybody here is a piece of crap

Comment

it depends how much do you involve in Facebook including instagram and whatsapp. Let's say you leave all these. How about google? It has even your finger prints and obviously they share it as well. Facebook's situation is only they are making money with third party apps. So, data can be obtained very easy because nobody reads terms. It is also not a big deal actually. I think, understanding of privacy, personal data and ethics should change then tthose infos will make no sense. Only problem left is the analysis of your internet use. In this case laws even cannot help if you are not educated and conscous internet user. As a result, there is nothing to do. Only educate yourself and go back to real world

Comment

I think it's a bit double. On the one hand, everyone already knew this, and Google or any website that is free does this, for the simple reason that they have to make money somehow. Unless internet users would want to pay for services provided by websites (and they won't), they will have to sell data for ads. Virtually every website does it btw, not only FB or Google.

That being said, most websites aren't as big as FB and don't have so much influence, and it is not like we have a choice anyway. You can hardly just NOT go on the internet because you need it for studying, working, looking up stuff, doing administrative tasks etc. So data are going to be collected whether you like it or not. And not being on FB is not always an option either. If you have a company, not advertising on FB would disadvantage you. I know that when I was still a student, we used to have groups where we would share information on whether a class was cancelled, or to prepare group work. And yeah sure, all those things can be done without FB, but the very few students who did not have FB would end up being disadvantaged. Not having it is not always an option really. I don't want to delete FB because it would mean I would also have to delete Whatsapp (which belongs to FB), and I just don't want to. I guess I'd feel left out or something. So FB is so big and has so many users that they should at least think on how to handle people's privacy or personal data. Laws around data collection are a lot stricter in Europe than they are in the US, so I think some discussion on that at least is not wrong.

I don't agree with people who say "it doesn't matter, I have nothing to hide" or "just think about what you post on FB". It's not always about what you deliberately share, but also private messages, browser history etc. And you always have something to hide, even though you didn't kill someone or something like that. For example, I wouldn't want my mum to read my conversations with my friends, and there are things I wouldn't share with my coworkers either. Not because what I do is highly illegal, but because I want to give a certain image of myself or because I feel I just want to keep some things to myself or some close friends. If someone I knew would start reading through my Whatsapp messages for example I would feel rather uncomfortable. Then why would it be ok for those data to be collected by strangers?

Also, I really cringe when FB reminds me of old posts from 10 years ago. Seventeen year old me just posted such dumb things some times, though posting those things seemed kinda cool to me at the time. But what if something you do now is totally ok, but not in the future? 50 years ago there were things which were immoral while they're ok now, and vice versa. What if, unknowingly you do something that can get you in trouble in 2050? It won't be really difficult to track that back.

I guess up to some point it is not avoidable to get your data collected. But we should think at least up to which point we should go in that and what the consequences might be and how to work on laws that would protect people against harmful consequences.
                                Last edited by LadyJosh; 04-16-2018, 11:56 AM.
                                La tête en bas et les pieds en l'air ! Oh lÃ* lÃ* !

Comment

Working...
                                X