Halloween

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fatbeard View Post

But is there fine wine and delicious food?
    Oh it's not something we celebrate anymore, neither in Brittany or in ancient gaulish area since the early 20th century (yet it was very different from the pre-christian Samain), except for some neopagans.
    So for the fest, we can only speculate that there was probably some wine and delicious food as it was one of the most important events for the Celts but what I've heard is that it would have been more "offered" than eaten
    What I know is that during Samain, like for Bealtain, there are open doors to the world of gods and that people going there are drinking and eating with gods for few hours then,, when they back, due to the difference of time between the two worlds, people from their time are dead and they get transformed into sand as their body is too old as well. I also know that the fest last one week, 3 days before the moon, the moonday (the "real" Samain) and 3 days after the moon.

Oh yes, and don't forget the bonfires, lol.

I think some people would be more able to talk about it than I do, maybe it has some survival tradition in places like Ireland or so,

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

Oh it's not something we celebrate anymore, neither in Brittany or in ancient gaulish area since the early 20th century (yet it was very different from the pre-christian Samain), except for some neopagans.
      So for the fest, we can only speculate that there was probably some wine and delicious food as it was one of the most important events for the Celts but what I've heard is that it would have been more "offered" than eaten
      What I know is that during Samain, like for Bealtain, there are open doors to the world of gods and that people going there are drinking and eating with gods for few hours then,, when they back, due to the difference of time between the two worlds, people from their time are dead and they get transformed into sand as their body is too old as well. I also know that the fest last one week, 3 days before the moon, the moonday (the "real" Samain) and 3 days after the moon.

Oh yes, and don't forget the bonfires, lol.

I think some people would be more able to talk about it than I do, maybe it has some survival tradition in places like Ireland or so,
      No fine wine and no delicious food I already don't like it

Comment

Originally posted by jordan_rudess View Post
        No need to be upset that Polish people do not want to copy your weird culture you moron
        Partly, Catholics have done so for ages. All Souls', basically, is Halloween. The name derives from All Hallows Eve; i.e., All Saints Eve.
        The Halloween tradition is a mixture of the Celtic Samhain as Sancta_Lux already remarked a Roman tradition and then added back an early medieval Christian All Souls' tradition.

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
        Samain is, basically, the Celtic fest that is the root of Halloween (and All Saints Day as well)
        The Catholic Church has been good at piggy-back-riding on pagan festivities. All Souls' is one of those moments where the Catholic Church kidnapped a pagan festivity.

Comment

Originally posted by Boliches View Post

The Catholic Church has been good at piggy-back-riding on pagan festivities. All Souls' is one of those moments where the Catholic Church kidnapped a pagan festivity.
          Somehow it's smart since it gives the new catholic a "link" between their old beliefs and the new ones. I still prefer Catholic to steal pagan festivities and rites (just for Jesus, you could find some buddhist traditions, lol) than what they actually did to other religions like destroying the ancient celtic monuments and build churches on them to definitely forbid pagans to get their place.

Comment

Can’t wait! We decorate our houses and neighborhood kids go trick or treating. It’s just fun.

Comment

Working...
            X