Noobs vs. Super Users

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP you have forgotten fourth option.

4 - Indifferent, there aren't any new users it's just never ending larping of the same weirdos

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
      You really are a sick man. Very sick & twisted. I'm not saying this to insult you because I'm sure some part of you recognizes your problems. To actually get enjoyment out of belittling others is evidence of a viciousness I've rarely seen, even when I worked with lifers and murderers.
      If you are trying for a tu quoque, you might want to change the wording a bit to make it more interesting for everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post

4 - Indifferent, there aren't any new users it's just never ending larping of the same weirdos
        Sorry. . . slight oversight.

Comment

I'd have voted for that one if it had existed.

Streams of people under new profile names after having shit in their own nests...

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

If you are trying for a tu quoque, you might want to change the wording a bit to make it more interesting for everyone
            What kind of family did you grow up in? Did your parents belittle you? Was there family violence? Drunkenness? Religious oppressiveness? You were either twisted in spirit by circumstances in life or you were born that way. A man your age who shows so much bitterness towards total strangers is obviously harbouring a lot of anger.

Comment

I've kinda never felt somehow attacked in this forum, even when I was new (which is quite long ago, however). But maybe it's because I just don't take things personally. Someone can completely disagree with you, but that just means, he has just a completely other opinion. You'll find other people who agree with you, or have a position somewhere in between, it's still nothing personal (at least in the most cases).

I mean, for the size of this platform, the forums could be more active. But not everyone is a "forum animal", some people just don't like it. Which is a pity, but hard to change.

Comment

Laura005 you are right. This place is not very welcoming towards new users. Old posters presume new posters as illiterate,inexperienced fools and treat them as such. They are talking about new users being butthurt, but this is funny how only old posters think that they are welcoming or neutral to new users. LOL. While, none of the new users think that way.

EDIT:Since photos are not visible, I'm posting links here.
                http://imgur.com/KDW0XDn
                http://imgur.com/srhvsSx
                http://imgur.com/QlIQ8pD
                Last edited by SmellyCurryMuncher; 10-12-2018, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura005 View Post
                  Let me first qualify this post by saying that this is not the first forum I've witnessed this phenomena in. . . having said that. . .

I've read a bunch of threads throughout this forum and it seems to me like there are several long-term regulars who use this site to entertain themselves by making fun of new user posts and comments (and I grant you, some seem truly ridiculous) and by tearing into others remarks solely for the purpose of antagonizing others into some sort of a "verbal" sparing match. So, what's the mission of the forum? Should new users not even bother? Just move on and leave this place to its current inhabitants? Asking for a friend.
                  The phenomena is that each forum develops a certain mindset. If you don't like this ones then you either try to change it or leave it.

There are many new users coming and leaving unnoticed. Others - like Lewinis and Joubmahs for example - are more noticed and yes, those are pretty entertaining.

New users get in general less attacked than the old ones do attack eachother. We are not here to please eachothers egos. There is nothing more boring than everybody agreeing with eachother in a forum. More new users would be nice, but when they are like little snowflakes they are eventually wrong.

Isn't the purpose of a forum to challenge the opinion of others and your own?

Comment

Your post assumes that the issue is with new-comers and not with the way in which some new-comers enter the fora.

I have been a member for a very long time and I have also been active on the fora. I have seen people come to the fora and leave the fora. I cannot say that at any time new-comers have been greeted in a hostile manner, because they were new. They have been greeted in a hostile manner, because they provoked that reaction.

Many people come to the fora to rant or whinge, because they fail to impose their it-is-my-way-or-no-way attitude onto others. They get burned by the regulars.

Comment

Originally posted by Boliches View Post
                      Your post assumes that the issue is with new-comers and not with the way in which some new-comers enter the fora.

I have been a member for a very long time and I have also been active on the fora. I have seen people come to the fora and leave the fora. I cannot say that at any time new-comers have been greeted in a hostile manner, because they were new. They have been greeted in a hostile manner, because they provoked that reaction.

Many people come to the fora to rant or whinge, because they fail to impose their it-is-my-way-or-no-way attitude onto others. They get burned by the regulars.
                      With exception of few people who love to argue is the majority of user is only interested in affirmation. The biggest lure of social networks is the thumb up sign. Addiction for affirmation goes so far, that some user are willing to public intimate details and photos of them selves for the sake of obtaining their daily thumbs up dose.
                      Interpal's chat give those narcissistic persons what they want, this forum doesn't do.

You said "many people", in my opinion are those people always the same persons with different accounts and they are seeking for some kind of catharsis for their negative emotions that they let out on other users. This is highly pathologic behavior of anti social personalities.
                      I don't speak here about normal discussion where people have different opinions about a topic, but they behave with respect and are exchanging with each other arguments without ad-hominen, ad-absurdum, intimidation as well as insulting polemic.
                      That's the second reason why this forum doesn't have really new users.

Comment

You said "many people", in my opinion are those people always the same persons with different accounts and they are seeking for some kind of catharsis for their negative emotions that they let out on other users. This is highly pathologic behavior of anti social personalities.
                        Indeed, there are the people you refer to. I think, however, the people that start a thread of the type "people here are racists," "why is my country blocked" and "why does no one want to be my friend," to name a few, outnumber the people you refer to by a huge margin. In addition there are the people that come to the fora to tell everyone what is wrong with the way the site and the fora have been set up.

Things, now, are not much different to what they were six years ago. Discussions, at the time, were much more heated than they tend to be now. There have been epic forum dwellers that make even the biggest bigots of the present look like an assembly of the UNO. Very few current contributors were around at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Suna123 View Post
                          The phenomena is that each forum develops a certain mindset. If you don't like this ones then you either try to change it or leave it.
                          If you walk in and impose yourself, then don't be surprised if people turn on you. Rather analogous to walking into a group you don't know uninvited and starting to lecture them...

There are many new users coming and leaving unnoticed. Others - like Lewinis and Joubmahs for example - are more noticed and yes, those are pretty entertaining.
                          For sure they were entertaining - you need a certain proportion of self-confident know-it-all idiots to perform a role like Simplicio from Galileo's "Dialogue Concerning the Chief New World Systems".

New users get in general less attacked than the old ones do attack eachother.
                          New users are barely looked at unless they do something outrageously stupid. Generally new users get more slack cut for them on the first couple of posts as they get used to the forum.

We are not here to please eachothers egos.
                          If you are posting on a forum, what you put there is for the whole world to read. If your ego is so fragile that it gets hurt when someone rips your idea(s) apart and shows them to be crap, then perhaps you should consider carefully what you post and if in the first place you should be posting...

There is nothing more boring than everybody agreeing with eachother in a forum.
                          Jerk circles are for psychotherapy and religious indoctrination groups.

Genuinely challenging debates which challenge a holder of views who is unable to counter evidence against his/her beliefs usually end up with the said person being butthurt and ranting at the end. This however is not a reason not to have robust debates on a forum. The problem is not with the person successfully debating but the butthurt one.

More new users would be nice, but when they are like little snowflakes they are eventually wrong.
                          It's great when new users come along who can say things beyond regurgitated cliche statements, who contribute genuinely with additional knowledge and insights and who help sort the pseudo-intellectual garbage from the gems.

On the other hand, snowflakes melt away very quickly even with very little heat applied...

Isn't the purpose of a forum to challenge the opinion of others and your own?
                          Many people who are on the forum are highly educated both in the sense of formal education and also their all-round knowledge. There are at least several PhDs that I know of chatting on the forum, a large number of professionals such as engineers, lawyers and the like and a huge number whose background is not actually definitely known but can be guessed at a minimum as being highly intelligent and well-read. Actually, it's irrelevant what degrees people hold or what they look like - it's ultimately about the substance of what they say.

This makes things much more interesting than reading regurgitated pseudo-intellectual rubbish you can see in most places.

Comment

Forum is for expressing an opinion and once we were all newbies. Have never feared to leave my opinion here, neither when I was new nor now when I've been here for years. I have not felt attacked just for being new, if I was attacked, it was because of certain disagreements and completely different issues but I never hesitate to talk back if I feel like, if I don't I just leave it, after all it is just a site online - once you shut your pc down, it is gone...No need to take things going on on internet very seriously. Moreover, there is nothing more boring than a politically correct forum full of non charismatic and careful users trying to please one another all the time. If discussions get heated, it is fine in my opinion.

Personally I think that forumers do not care about the status of a user or the place the user comes from, personality is what matters. If a newcomer comes here to complain and tell others how bad this forum is, certain reactions are unavoidable but if a newcomer is humorous, charismatic and cool, they are met the way they present themselves, just like anywhere else in life.

Comment

Indeed, there are the people you refer to. I think, however, the people that start a thread of the type "people here are racists," "why is my country blocked" and "why does no one want to be my friend," to name a few, outnumber the people you refer to by a huge margin.
                              They usually unwittingly answer their own OPs by their own actions

In addition there are the people that come to the fora to tell everyone what is wrong with the way the site and the fora have been set up.
                              A few butthurt trolls posing as newbies often as not. One does suspect that some have sock puppet accounts and are doing it from that...

Things, now, are not much different to what they were six years ago.
                              Plus ca change..

Discussions, at the time, were much more heated than they tend to be now.
                              I've seen far more bitchiness on much older threads I've come across - the forum has calmed down a lot.

There have been epic forum dwellers that make even the biggest bigots of the present look like an assembly of the UNO.
                              Most aren't so bad here presently actually... no death threats recently

Very few current contributors were around at that time.
                              The threads are still there to be read however and can verify what you have been saying.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

I've seen far more bitchiness on much older threads I've come across - the forum has calmed down a lot.
                                I have found all those obvious penisneid behavior patterns amusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X