Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why so many americans use drugs?

why do so many americans use drugs?

I guess Americans use quite a lot of drugs - but it doesn't seem to be as prevalent as in countries such as those in North Africa, Pakistan or Turkey...

Comment

There are probably many reasons why Americans use a lot of drugs. Because the pharmaceutical industry promotes its products very well? That’s likely one of the reasons. American TV has a surprising amount of advertising pushing medication of all sorts. Create a need and your product will sell.

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post
        I guess Americans use quite a lot of drugs - but it doesn't seem to be as prevalent as in countries such as those in North Africa, Pakistan or Turkey...
        I have no idea about North Africa or Pakistan. But I do know it for Turkey.....and drug addiction in Turkey is much less than in Europe.
        http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countrie...2018/turkey_en

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
          There are probably many reasons why Americans use a lot of drugs. Because the pharmaceutical industry promotes its products very well? That’s likely one of the reasons. American TV has a surprising amount of advertising pushing medication of all sorts. Create a need and your product will sell.
          it's not about medication

Comment

Originally posted by Suna123 View Post

I have no idea about North Africa or Pakistan. But I do know it for Turkey.....and drug addiction in Turkey is much less than in Europe.
            http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/countrie...2018/turkey_en
            Or better hidden...

Comment

Because they love doing stupid things. I enjoy these shows that America has created where you can see all these drugheads getting arrested, it's really fun to hear their excuses : )

Comment

Or better hidden...
                Maybe, you actually have to dig to find anything that is not related to your country or just EU when you search about drug consumption on Google... As for me, I found the following then almost only France/Europe consumption without any clear indications anywhere:

Comparatively, iot still seems that North America is a lot more into drug than the others, but without further informations, eh.

Comment

Or better hidden...
                  or maybe we should consider that it is not automatically all good in liberal societies
                  I'm convinced especially the bigger difference between men and women inTurkey in comparison to Europe is pretty real.

Liberal societies either have to accept drug consumption and handle the consequences as best as possible, or if they illigalize it then they need to fight it on a completely different level and much more effort is necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Suna123 View Post

or maybe we should consider that it is not automatically all good in liberal societies
                    I'm convinced especially the bigger difference between men and women inTurkey in comparison to Europe is pretty real.

Liberal societies either have to accept drug consumption and handle the consequences as best as possible, or if they illigalize it then they need to fight it on a completely different level and much more effort is necessary.
                    Agreed but I wonder if, sometime, fighting it doesn't make it worst. France is one of the european country that penalize the most drug consumption, yet it's also the country where people take drugs the most it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
                      Maybe, you actually have to dig to find anything that is not related to your country or just EU when you search about drug consumption on Google... As for me, I found the following then almost only France/Europe consumption without any clear indications anywhere:

Comparatively, iot still seems that North America is a lot more into drug than the others, but without further informations, eh.
                      The world-wide statistics are very very dodgy to say the least.

You are dealing with an activity of differing levels of legality and a spectrum of willingness to enforce laws related to it. Associated with a willingness to enforce laws is a willingness to acknowledge how many in a country use drugs and how many addicts they have.

One thing that is known however is that transit countries for the drug trade usually have much bigger drug problems than even the countries where the drugs ultimately head as their final destination. Take for example Pakistan and other Asian countries like Thailand or for that matter Iran which are on the main drug routes. Massive drug problems there. Similarly, there are massive problems in Turkey - also on one of the main drug distribution routes. Like any "good" businessmen, drug traders like to leverage and spread risk. Selling drugs along their distribution path is all part of that process.

Comment

Agreed but I wonder if, sometime, fighting it doesn't make it worst. France is one of the european country that penalize the most drug consumption, yet it's also the country where people take drugs the most it seems.
                        What are the statistics for drug use among immigrant populations verses non-immigrant?

Comment

What are the statistics for drug use among immigrant populations verses non-immigrant?
                          That's the question I'd like to get the answer as well. The only "statistics" that I have are "migrants are the victims of drug dealers :<<<<"

Comment

That's the question I'd like to get the answer as well. The only "statistics" that I have are "migrants are the victims of drug dealers :<<<<"
                            Hugely disproportionate numbers of drug dealers are migrants - legal or otherwise. They get greedy and they know how to socially engineer their own people better than the population they immigrated into - hence they get more of their people hooked on drugs than the "natives".

Comment

"Drugs" really relates to two completely different things; illegal drugs, like heroin or meth, and legal drugs, like antidepressants, prescribed tranquilizers, and pain killers. It seems to me that Americans use a lot of both, and the reasons for both are related, but they are still different.

Americans seem to use a lot of prescription drugs (not like antibiotics, but others for mood disorders and such) because the pharmaceutical industry keeps developing them and promoting them and doctors participate in supporting that. In some cases the use is exactly what the person / patient needs but it does seem to have gotten out of hand.

Dr. Phil, that entertainment-oriented "psychologist" who gained popularity on Oprah, recently stated a good summary of the problem on the Joe Rogan podcast. In general I wouldn't listen to much of what Dr. Phil has to say about anything but this part seemed clear and insightful:

https://youtu.be/bEj3xvpeq1E

Illegal drugs are something else. They're everywhere, not just in the US, but they became a common part of American society back in the 60s and 70s, and only the stigma and types in use changed in the decades since.

It's not as if it's openly accepted for people to use illegal drugs but marijuana switching from illegal to now legal in places shows how views vary on what the restrictions should be. It's not regarded as that immoral to use illegal drugs to the same extent it would seem unusual where I am now, living in Thailand. There is a pre-conception that taxi drivers use meth here and musicians are into marijuana but beyond that use seems a lot more limited.

Comment

Working...
                              X