No announcement yet.

Your country's national heroes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My hero is president soekarno. He is the first president in Indonesia. He is the person who brings independence of Indonesia. And he was also have big reputation in Indonesia and another countries from his efffort

Comment

• Mustafa Kemal ATATÜRK

Comment

• Don Pelayo, Jaime I, Fernando III, Alfonso X, El Cid, los Reyes Católicos Isabel y Fernando, El Gran Capitán Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, los Almogávares, los soldados de los Tercios, Ambrosio Spínola, Alejandro Farnesio, Hernán Cortés, Pizarro, Cabeza de Vaca, Bernardo de Gálvez,...

But my favourite spanish national hero is Blas de Lezo.
        Last edited by FranMetal; 06-20-2018, 03:34 PM.

Comment

• Unfortunately, I am agree with who said heroes changing according with the government direction.
          In Italy i can say Giuseppe Garibaldi, a truly hero (close to a legend) that we are losing nowadays.

Comment

• Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.

Comment

• علال القادوس in English; bob jackson

Comment

• for me the national hero of my country is a cowboy. But rather - it is a symbol of the country

Comment

• The first German national heroes I can think of are Arminius (Hermann, the Cherusci), Siegfried (the dragonslayer from the Nibelungenlied), Widukind, Otto I., Friedrich II. (Prussia), Florian Geyer, Theodor Körner, Gebhard von Blücher, Otto von Bismarck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Westphalia View Post
                    The first German national heroes I can think of are Arminius (Hermann, the Cherusci), Siegfried (the dragonslayer from the Nibelungenlied), Widukind, Otto I., Friedrich II. (Prussia), Florian Geyer, Theodor Körner, Gebhard von Blücher, Otto von Bismarck.
                    Hmmmm, the two I like are Arminius and Gebhard leberecht prince von Wahlstaff,,BUT ! it is to be remembered that Arminius learned everything he knew,,,,as a Roman,,,and in Italy he might be considered a traitor who bit the hand that fed him,,,EXCEPT that the hand DIDN"T feed him,, didn't honour promises,,considered he and his people to be savages to whom Rome owes no loyalty..They were tough times...I side with Arminius,,my people also suffered under Rome...
                    Von Wahlstaff,,another matter altogether,his "claim to fame " was at Waterloo where in fact he was only an ally of Wellington who was the brains of the operation but nevertheless was the undoubted " Game Changer "...
                    Westphalia,,,National heroes " When did all those German speaking states declare a monarchy,,was that Bismarck who is also on your list...

Comment

• Originally posted by Elishar View Post

Hmmmm, the two I like are Arminius and Gebhard leberecht prince von Wahlstaff,,BUT ! it is to be remembered that Arminius learned everything he knew,,,,as a Roman,,,and in Italy he might be considered a traitor who bit the hand that fed him,,,EXCEPT that the hand DIDN"T feed him,, didn't honour promises,,considered he and his people to be savages to whom Rome owes no loyalty..They were tough times...I side with Arminius,,my people also suffered under Rome...
                      Well, he was kidnapped by Romans when he was a kid. And later when he came back to Germania, he has seen that the Roman occupants treat the Germanic tribes badly, so he planned an uprsing.

Originally posted by Elishar View Post

Von Wahlstaff,,another matter altogether,his "claim to fame " was at Waterloo where in fact he was only an ally of Wellington who was the brains of the operation but nevertheless was the undoubted " Game Changer "...
                      Russians called him "marshal forwards" because he was a daredevil and didn't hestitate to attack the enemy and he was also admired by his troops. Maybe he was not a good strategist (Scharnhorst and Gneisenau took the strategic part), but a good military leader and a great patriot with the will to sacrifice himself for the freedom of his people.

Originally posted by Elishar View Post

When did all those German speaking states declare a monarchy,,was that Bismarck who is also on your list...
                      I don't really understand this point right now. Do you wonder why Bismarck is on my list too? That's because he was the first German who actually accomplished to establish a German nation. Too bad that the Revolution of 1848 has failed before, but in the end it was Bismarck who did the important step.

Comment

Well, he was kidnapped by Romans when he was a kid. And later when he came back to Germania, he has seen that the Roman occupants treat the Germanic tribes badly, so he planned an uprsing.

Russians called him "marshal forwards" because he was a daredevil and didn't hestitate to attack the enemy and he was also admired by his troops. Maybe he was not a good strategist (Scharnhorst and Gneisenau took the strategic part), but a good military leader and a great patriot with the will to sacrifice himself for the freedom of his people.

I don't really understand this point right now. Do you wonder why Bismarck is on my list too? That's because he was the first German who actually accomplished to establish a German nation. Too bad that the Revolution of 1848 has failed before, but in the end it was Bismarck who did the important step.
                        No , I do not wonder why Bismarck is on your list old " blood and iron " earned his place,the point I was making is that your list are not German nationals because there was no Germany until Weimar ?
                        It doesn't make your heroes less heroic...

Comment

• Originally posted by Elishar View Post

No , I do not wonder why Bismarck is on your list old " blood and iron " earned his place,the point I was making is that your list are not German nationals because there was no Germany until Weimar ?
                          It doesn't make your heroes less heroic...
                          Well, it was a long way to 1871 and all of those Germans participated in that. The German nation exists since 1871, but the German people exist longer. Would you say Goethe was not German, just because he didn't live in at time of the German Kaiserreich? Also don't forget the Holy Roman Empire. It's basically the predecessor of the Kaiserreich from 1871. And Arminius and the battle of teutoburg forest for example were an important myth, which contributed to the German identity and unity. The establishment of nation states in the 18th and 19th centuy is not a requirement for being a national hero.

Comment

Well, it was a long way to 1871 and all of those Germans participated in that. The German nation exists since 1871, but the German people exist longer. Would you say Goethe was not German, just because he didn't live in at time of the German Kaiserreich? Also don't forget the Holy Roman Empire. It's basically the predecessor of the Kaiserreich from 1871. And Arminius and the battle of teutoburg forest for example were an important myth, which contributed to the German identity and unity. The establishment of nation states in the 18th and 19th centuy is not a requirement for being a national hero.
                            Agreed...With ten letters..

Comment

• For the French I think the national hero is General de Gaulle who was part of the resistance calling France free, an appeal that was launched on the BBC in London ( he fled France when the signature came to deal with Vichy) . After the war he became interim President during 2 years, created ( or at least a ider) the fifth republic in 1958 and became the first president of this so-called fifth republic ( one is still under the fifth republic in France with as president Macron) from 1959 to 1969

Comment

• Well, in Poland, there are many heroes we could speak of. Maby the most recent, and possibly one of the the biggest heros of WWII, would be Inmate 4859 Witold Pilecki. This polish soldier two times entered Auschwitz (GERMAN DEATH CAMP, located on polish land), gathered info about what happens inside the camp, and even led the uprising. Unfortunately, after war, comunists came to power in Poland and in 1948 he was sentenced to death, for "actions against the nation". As I said. There are many heroes and It is Hard to talk about them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X