Do you believe in written history?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

The statement isn't ambiguous. Archaeological digs sometimes confirm history, sometimes they make history. Don't ask me; Google has the answers you are looking for...

Many people accept on faith the existence of extraterrestrial beings who visit the earth in UFOs. A lot more people accept without question the existence of civilizations elsewhere in the universe. A hell of a lot more people accept on faith that all life has descended from a common ancestor. Others postulate the existence of a multiverse. There isn't the least bit of evidence for any of this.

No, it's ambiguous, history is a wide subject. Even historical "facts" with archaeological evidence could be interpreted in more than one ways. It's even more confusing when certain group of people who live today, prefer certain type of interpretation for some purposes.

To some degree, at some subject, we could say that historical fact is quite accurate. But at some other it is not.

So if I say, it's not accurate, as all historical facts are not accurate, it's a wrong statement.

If I say, it's quite accurate, as all historical facts are accurate, it's also a wrong statement.

Just because we have some historical facts accurate and backed up with strong archaeological evidence, we couldn't say that all historical facts are accurate. Even the source of some historical facts, came with their own subjective view over the subject. In the history of my country, there are many different version of what happened in 1965. Up to to this day, it's politically impossible to get everyone sit together and objectively try to get the "fact" of what happened on that period.

Soon all the living witness would die and it still a sensitive subject to talk about. Perhaps it will take one or two generations and by that time, it would be close to impossible to get the fact close to what really happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Han1977 View Post

No, it's ambiguous, history is a wide subject. Even historical "facts" with archaeological evidence could be interpreted in more than one ways. It's even more confusing when certain group of people who live today, prefer certain type of interpretation for some purposes.

To some degree, at some subject, we could say that historical fact is quite accurate. But at some other it is not.

So if I say, it's not accurate, as all historical facts are not accurate, it's a wrong statement.

If I say, it's quite accurate, as all historical facts are accurate, it's also a wrong statement.

Just because we have some historical facts accurate and backed up with strong archaeological evidence, we couldn't say that all historical facts are accurate. Even the source of some historical facts, came with their own subjective view over the subject. In the history of my country, there are many different version of what happened in 1965. Up to to this day, it's politically impossible to get everyone sit together and objectively try to get the "fact" of what happened on that period.

Soon all the living witness would die and it still a sensitive subject to talk about. Perhaps it will take one or two generations and by that time, it would be close to impossible to get the fact close to what really happened.
      If archaeology unearths a town, a temple on a mountaintop or a shipwreak, that's ambiguous?!

I never said all history is accurate. I said "History is usually quite accurate". "Usually" doesn't mean always but in most cases, history is accurate. It doesn't tell the whole story surrounding an event or an era because that's not the mandate of general history. To quote Hegel, history "unites the objective with the subjective...this union of the two meanings we must regard as of a higher order than mere outward accident; we must suppose historical narrations have appeared contemporaneously with historical deeds and events."

We are in an age where everything is brought into question, where it is fashionable to doubt, to criticize, to disparage much of what is promoted as knowledge from the past...as if everyone who lived in the past were total idiots.

Meanwhile, many believe in ghosts, reincarnation, verify our daily horoscope, are fascinated by zombies, watch shows like Star Trek and movies about friendly devils! It's just stupid!

Comment

Answering for the question, 70% only, i think.
        Not all written history are actual history itself.
        For instance, my country science textbook (prob other countries as well) have listed Thomas Edison as the inventor of the motion images/motion camera, but Louis La Prince are actually the inventor n the first person to record a motion image in film.
        But Louis disappeared a day before he went to publicly showcase his success n never been found. so yeah.
        I also do believe that written history specifically about the country history (especially that can be instilled in children mind) are mostly to exudes the good impact or intention of the event stated,

Comment

Originally posted by Norzeerah View Post
          Answering for the question, 70% only, i think.
          Not all written history are actual history itself.
          For instance, my country science textbook (prob other countries as well) have listed Thomas Edison as the inventor of the motion images/motion camera, but Louis La Prince are actually the inventor n the first person to record a motion image in film.
          But Louis disappeared a day before he went to publicly showcase his success n never been found. so yeah.
          I also do believe that written history specifically about the country history (especially that can be instilled in children mind) are mostly to exudes the good impact or intention of the event stated,

History is multi-faceted. It's not monolithic as the title of this thread suggests. There is political history, economic history, religious history, philosophical history, scientific history, the history of art, of music, of litterature, of architecture... All these must be considered to get a more-or-less accurate picture. Who can do that except professional historians?! So we fall back on general history which is necessarily incomplete but it gives us an overview of the most important moments of the past.

Comment

Probably a true statement - if you ask the Turks there was no such thing as the Armenian genocide. :-(

Comment

May be it is true. And there are a lot of the confirmations of this. F.e. If we speak about Japan (it was closed for a long time) there a realy small amount of information that was surveved. That all because of polisy of this country. They burend all the information about the last ruler, when new came.

Comment

i make my history, anyone can make hes or her history . e.g every religion have defined the world in their own history

Comment

some history dont need to be written by any one,not the winner or the loser.
                  it's the real fact.
                  however,some governments like Japanese just dont want to face it and even want to tamper with it.
                  that's really funny.

Comment

History is science about how present was created in the past. It differes from other sciences because chemistry, biology, physics..etc doesnt have influence on some human groups interests, but history have such an influence. Its easy to show on examples, when it was the French Revolution in the ending of 18-th century, it was absolutely clear that history process is struggle of classes, and at the moment class of bourgeoisie (rich traders, factory owners) remove from power class of aristocrates (nobles). Just read prominent historians of that time, Jacques Nicolas Augustin Thierry, François Pierre Guillaume Guizot, François-Auguste Mignet. But immediately when new rulling class captured the power - next rulling class - workers, tryed to remove bourgeoisie from power and became new masters of life. Where they won - was one point of view on history (true), where they lose - its another point (to save the power of rulling class). So if election in USA, for example, payed by big companies, and these big companies afraid that American people will capture the power in USA - this companies will promote some kind of fake history, where Soviet Union will be horrible place because of horrible communists, and ghoul Stalin who ate babies on breakfast, to American people will never even think about taking power by removing American corporations owners. They need history fakes to save power, like the shaman who has everything inside the backward tribe, should scream "dont believe doctors! they need death of our tribe!"

Comment

Now I just study the history of America and can tell a little about the 19th century. In America it was a horrible event, the rich people were treated terribly poor. I was surprised by the story of an American woman named Dorothea Dix. Despite the fact that she was born in a dysfunctional family, she sought only to help people. She taught children and illiterate people, took care of the good content of the mentally ill.
                      Dorothea Dix actually played a big role in the formation of America.

Comment

The title of the topic speaks for itself. To be honest, I think that modern history has a number of gaps and inconsistencies, and sometimes just hides inconvenient facts and findings. I recommend to watch the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0TdGlIeGPY.

Comment

Working...
                        X