Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the USA share part of European History?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does the USA share part of European History?

    I have been talking to European girls, and my Czech friend said US history is short. I told her it's longer because you can trace it back into European history. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

  • #2
    Where exactly was "US" in Europe? Didn't your ancestors got their independence from the roast-beef? You are a bastard nation made of Europeans and subsaharian Africans mostly, what kind of history do you have there that is European? Why trying to rely to European history instead of Wakanda?

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes the US Does share a part of European history..Let's begin with the huge Spanish colonies in the lower part of nth America..You will find it in Spanish history books...
      Everybody knows about the Mayflower and the British colonies which revolted against British rule and founded the American republic,,you can bet that is in British history books...
      The French who were in the south of the nth supported the Americains against the British > they would have supported ANYONE who was against the British but then they ran out of munni at home so they sold their YUGE landholdings to the Americans who called it the " Louisiana purchase",,a simple business deal in CASH....
      During all this time American ranchers and homesteaders were pouring into the territory of Texas and the Mexicans decided to drive them out..It didn't go well for Mexico,, and the Yanquis drove them out which left the Yanquis also with California and Arizona,,,Yuuuge territories..
      Time rolls by to about 1917 and Europe saw American soldiers in Europe fighting in WW1....
      WW2 Again Europe saw American armies in Europe fighting against naziism and this time the Americans at European invitation never went home they simply reduced their numbers to Garrisons...
      If that is not part of European history What Is ?..

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Elishar View Post
        The French who were in the south of the nth supported the Americains against the British > they would have supported ANYONE who was against the British but then they ran out of munni at home so they sold their YUGE landholdings to the Americans who called it the " Louisiana purchase",,a simple business deal in CASH....
        It's actually a little bit more complicated than that. Napoleon did try to keep Louisiana and got it back from the spaniards at first. Then he planed to get more power in Caribbean in order to be able to reach Lousiana easily/to defend it in a better way and sent Leclerc and 30k soldiers in Santo Domingo for that. It was a huge fail and the English bringing shit by bringing back Europe into war and then making Louisiana an impossible place to defend properly for France.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by _loki View Post
          I have been talking to European girls, and my Czech friend said US history is short. I told her it's longer because you can trace it back into European history. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
          It is not very easy to answer. Sure the historical roots of the U.S. are partwise in Europe - to a big part.
          But you can notice that the culture is very young. If that is architecture, music, food or anything else.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Marshall Plan - officially known as The European Recovery Plan - is fairly recent history in which the USA played a big role in European history.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
              The Marshall Plan - officially known as The European Recovery Plan - is fairly recent history in which the USA played a big role in European history.
              Turkey did also play a big role in European history.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Suna123 View Post
                Turkey did also play a big role in European history.
                It's even the key of European hegemony

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
                  It's actually a little bit more complicated than that. Napoleon did try to keep Louisiana and got it back from the spaniards at first. Then he planed to get more power in Caribbean in order to be able to reach Lousiana easily/to defend it in a better way and sent Leclerc and 30k soldiers in Santo Domingo for that. It was a huge fail and the English bringing shit by bringing back Europe into war and then making Louisiana an impossible place to defend properly for France.
                  Well you and the Brits have been crunching each other for a thousand years and 15 ,000.000 in gold in those days was nothing to sneeze at,how much did Spain get for Texas,,California,and Arizona ? ZILCH !..Both you and the Spanish claimed Arizona but you got paid for it..
                  All in all you got the money and your armies intact sahten,, as they say in Paris....mabruck...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Suna123 View Post

                    It is not very easy to answer. Sure the historical roots of the U.S. are partwise in Europe - to a big part.
                    But you can notice that the culture is very young. If that is architecture, music, food or anything else.
                    I see it more than partwise. There is Christianity and the reformation / British law / British education system. Government and the Constitution / migration into the 13 colonies compared to migration into Europe. Even my heritage of a mix of Croatian, German, Irish, etc. I feel like I should trace my history far far back into European history. I realize I speak from a narrative of European decent, but Europeans came to the US and slaughtered the Native Americans to later spark the foundation the United States of America.

                    As for culture being very young, can you explain in more detail? I have heard the perspective that America has no culture, but I don't know this perspective of youth.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      it seriously looks like some weird Turkish people trying to rely to Gengis Khan because they had some common points or trying to relate to a famous character because "my ancestors were blablabla". Doing this, any European could say he/she is a direct descent of Charlemagne.

                      Would that make your country more linked to European history? Would that make your more European or would that make you a noble (in case of Charlemagne)?

                      The way you are listing your ancestors here just show that you are a part of this bastard nation, of a country with no proper identity but a mix of others. The worst in this is that your country find there a legitimacy to grab other "national narratives" but, since it doesn't belogns to US (happy?), the country twists it, makes it another story empty of its original meaning. Sadly, the only history you could have had, through native Americans, you destroyed it.




                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by _loki View Post
                        I see it more than partwise. There is Christianity and the reformation / British law / British education system.
                        The Brits are not Europe. They are a part of Europe and not a very important one in my opinion - with decreasing importance thanks to their own disliking of Europe.
                        The U.S.-kind of Christianity seems to be very different to the one I know in Europe.

                        Originally posted by _loki View Post
                        Even my heritage of a mix of Croatian, German, Irish, etc. I feel like I should trace my history far far back into European history.
                        This is a very American thing to trace back your ancestry and looks a bit weird to a European. I know U.S. people even pay a lot of money to find out about their European ancestors. Something Europeans don't have much interest for.

                        Originally posted by _loki View Post
                        As for culture being very young, can you explain in more detail?
                        Have you ever been to Europe?
                        Walk through Rome, London or Paris, drive through some villages....and you won't ask this question again.
                        The U.S. is a recently settled wilderness in comparison to Europe.

                        Originally posted by _loki View Post
                        I have heard the perspective that America has no culture, but I don't know this perspective of youth.
                        I don't think the U.S. have no culture. They do have a very specific culture. And their culture is compatible with Europeans - but very different. (Ok, I think maybe you are not compatible with the French :-P)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
                          Sadly, the only history you could have had, through native Americans, you destroyed it.
                          yep - this is something Europeans don't feel responsible for in the slightest.....although these people have been our ancestors. They are not "us".
                          Or maybe the Brits do?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Its started out as colony s, so yes. I do think wen it became the USA, it was by new design......lol

                            What scares me...............is the EU is (becoming) part of the US history/influence.

                            Mzzls

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Sneek1e View Post
                              Its started out as colony s, so yes. I do think wen it became the USA, it was by new design......lol

                              What scares me...............is the EU is (becoming) part of the US history/influence.

                              Mzzls

                              You forgot to include a cat photo.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X