Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the USA share part of European History?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• _loki
    started a topic Does the USA share part of European History?

Does the USA share part of European History?

I have been talking to European girls, and my Czech friend said US history is short. I told her it's longer because you can trace it back into European history. Do you agree or disagree? Why?

• dmitri11
    replied
    ... with a little present.

Leave a comment:

• RogerCarmel
    replied
    Originally posted by dmitri11

Fine. Let's test a Chinese Dildo in the Canadian Asshole.
    I have no idea what you’re talking about. ATOMIK vodka is a high-end product and you bring up a cheap Chinese toy.

Leave a comment:

• RogerCarmel
    replied
    Always have, and you always will. American toilet paper and condoms are very expensive. $ 0 => 10 € => $ 100
    Did you know that you can now buy vodka made with grains grown around the Tchernobyl nuclear exclusion zone? It’s called ATOMIK.

Leave a comment:

• RogerCarmel
    replied
    Not a single mention of armed occupation of Germany.
    Do you mean the Soviet armed- and ideological-occupation of the German “Democratic” Republic until the Berlin Wall fell?

Leave a comment:

• jordan_rudess
    replied
    Originally posted by _loki View Post
    I have been talking to European girls, and my Czech friend said US history is short. I told her it's longer because you can trace it back into European history. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
    Yes it is short. And yes you can trace it back to European history but just to European colonialism. So it's short.

Leave a comment:

• SeanMu1985
    replied
    Originally posted by Ameriguy99 View Post
    It's a very complicated question and is really several questions. What are claiming to be American History, is it just the US or does it include native Americans? What are you claiming as European history?

Is it short? Compared to what?
    The United States is actually older than most modern European countries. We were founded in 1776 compared to France ( 1789) , Italy, the United Kingdom (1801), Italy (1871), Germany ( 1871) and so on. Some countries like Spain has its origins in the 1400s. These are all of course modern European countries, of course the history of those peoples can be traced back far before the modern incarnation of their countries. Of course England has hundreds of years of history prior to the formation of the United Kingdom. But if you measure that way than you must begin US history with the the founding of Jamestown in 1607. Which almost doubles the span of American history.
    But even by that metric the Europeans still out pace America by over a millennia.

But then let's look beyond Europe..
    You are only partially correct. France was a country before 1789 it had just changed from a Monarchy to a Republic, in 1801 was the act of union which formed the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland so before that it was known as Great Britain.

Leave a comment:

• Mihal91
    replied
    You can't look at it that way. It would be the same as if i told you that in my case (my country) Serbian history goes far back into slavs history ( because Serbian people have slavic genetics).

Leave a comment:

• RogerCarmel
    replied
    Ian Smith, Rhodesia...? I thought Ian and his country died long ago.

Leave a comment:

• Iansmithrhodesia
    replied
    I don't completely agree with you. America started out as a place for extra British people to move to because Britain was getting faR too populated. There was free land and it was now a part of Britain. Virginia, Maryland, and the Carolinas were settled by people who were loyal to the crown during the English Civil War (the "Puritans" that everybody credits for being the real American settlers were up north in Massachusetts . Many who had previously moved to the New World from Britain or were born there went to fight in this war when it broke out. After the war, many Cavaliers went back to America or went there for the first time as their side lost and they were rather pissed about Cromwell. To this day the southern united states is still a very traditional place and it is likely because of these settlers. They are descended from British royalists/Cavaliers. They settled the states west of Virginia and the Carolinas, and their descendants haven't changed all that much, although they have now married Scots and what not which has seemingly added a bit of an anti-authoritarian/distrust of government streak as well.

If the English Civil War had never happened, the parliament wouldn't have had so much power in the 1770s, and this is what really led to the American Revolution in my opinion. America was not against a King. George Washington was almost made King. Some of the founding fathers were supporters of Monarchy. They were simply fed up with the British parliament deciding all the laws when they didn't have real seats themselves. It is very possibly that America's history would be very different without the English Civil War.

Also, republicanism/democracy is ALWAYS A FAILURE. It just takes longer to fail sometimes.

They saw themselves as Europeans in a new land. They did not try to escape the European traditions. They saw themselves as conquerors building a new world. Which is exactly what they did.

You are correct America does not have one unified culture. That was always the point. The states had their own culture and they came together for protection. They would have much preferred to be their own countries but at the time it seemed like the best option. After the civil war the idea of states rights completely died (as well as the agrarian society that the founders envisioned) and now it is declared unconstitutional if a state wants to pass a law hat the rest of the country doesn't like. It is truly maddening. This was the original idea of the states.

Leave a comment:

• Iansmithrhodesia
    replied
    American here. I would have to say your friend is right. America is full of different Europeans that have been coming over since the 1600s! You could theoretically trace the founding of America back through the British that originally settled here, but the truth is that most Americans don't think or care about this, even if they are of English descent. Now that America has become a multicultural nation that doesn't embrace any "American" identity, people just identify with whatever their own family did, or what they suspect they did, based off of their ancestry. American history truly started when the British came to the New World. Americans don't know JACK about Europe or European history! I am 20 and probably know more than the average 30 year old. The average 30 year old couldn't even tell you what Germany's flag looks like. (Even if they are a "GERMAN AMERICAN")

Leave a comment:

• RogerCarmel
    replied
    Originally posted by Ameriguy99 View Post

Lastly, history is not just measured in time but in accomplishments. The United States has done far more in 200 years than some countries have done in 1000. Just like some people accomplish more by 25 than others do at 90.

Leave a comment:

• Ameriguy99
    replied
    It's a very complicated question and is really several questions. What are claiming to be American History, is it just the US or does it include native Americans? What are you claiming as European history?

Is it short? Compared to what?
    The United States is actually older than most modern European countries. We were founded in 1776 compared to France ( 1789) , Italy, the United Kingdom (1801), Italy (1871), Germany ( 1871) and so on. Some countries like Spain has its origins in the 1400s. These are all of course modern European countries, of course the history of those peoples can be traced back far before the modern incarnation of their countries. Of course England has hundreds of years of history prior to the formation of the United Kingdom. But if you measure that way than you must begin US history with the the founding of Jamestown in 1607. Which almost doubles the span of American history.
    But even by that metric the Europeans still out pace America by over a millennia.

But then let's look beyond Europe.

The United States is the first sovereign nation in the Western hemisphere, we are older than any modern incarnation of Affrican nations with the few exceptions of places like Ethiopia. We predate most Asian countries like the Philippines, or Vietnam and even India. But then that brings you back to when do place the starting point of a countries history. Nobody is suggesting that Indias history began when they obtained independence from Britan, so why start American history at that point?

If London can be traced back its Roman roots. Then the United States could be traced back to the Magna Carta.

Lastly, history is not just measured in time but in accomplishments. The United States has done far more in 200 years than some countries have done in 1000. Just like some people accomplish more by 25 than others do at 90.

Leave a comment:

• Elishar
    replied

I see it more than partwise. There is Christianity and the reformation / British law / British education system. Government and the Constitution / migration into the 13 colonies compared to migration into Europe. Even my heritage of a mix of Croatian, German, Irish, etc. I feel like I should trace my history far far back into European history. I realize I speak from a narrative of European decent, but Europeans came to the US and slaughtered the Native Americans to later spark the foundation the United States of America.

As for culture being very young, can you explain in more detail? I have heard the perspective that America has no culture, but I don't know this perspective of youth.

Leave a comment:

• Sneek1e
    replied
    Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

You forgot to include a cat photo.
    Nah, im actually serious about that, looking at politics/finance/economics/healtcare/ect.....mentallity. We are just running 10 to 15 years behind,in a lot of things.imo

And im trying to cut down....lol

Mzzls

Leave a comment:

Working...
X