Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know if a mechanic or a dealership dishonest?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know if a mechanic or a dealership dishonest?

I have purchased and maintained my vehicle at the dealer where I got it from them 4 years ago. Everything was done to my vehicle according to manufacturer warranty and oil changes done every 3000 miles.

​Last week, the service writer told me that I needed a new oil pan and the oil pan plug drain is also worn out and needed replacement soon. I told the service writer I remember, I had this replaced and done here less than 2 years ago. He checked my vehicle's record on his computer and found it true, but he said every job is covered for one year or 3000 miles whichever comes first and I had to pay again and it costs $695.00 to replace an oil pan. Its insane.

​I started to believe this dealership, they probably never replaced the oil pan the first time I brought my vehicle or lying about something and they simply want me to pay for nothing.

​Anyone out there as a mechanic, a car owner or in the automotive industry can share any thought, experience or advise?

Take the vehicle somewhere else for a second look
    100.00%
    Sell the vehicle and buy a new one
    0%
    Take the dealer or mechanic to court and sue for damages
    0%
    Take public transportation. No more owning a vehicle
    0%
    Walk or hitch hiking..lol
    0%

The best friends you can have are a doctor, a dentist, a mechanic and a veterinarian. I was blessed to have all four up to about 10 years ago when my mechanic-friend suddenly died and my doctor-friend retired.

As for your problem, shop around for a new mechanic. As far as mechanics go, an older man with lots of experience and a messy office is better than a garage with a fancy waiting room, nice chairs and espresso coffee waiting for you.

Comment

This is just the first step in your climb to your insight, to an ability for seeing the truth in things.

Want your order of things?
      Last edited by dmitri11; 01-11-2018, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post
        The best friends you can have are a doctor, a dentist, a mechanic and a veterinarian. I was blessed to have all four up to about 10 years ago when my mechanic-friend suddenly died and my doctor-friend retired.

As for your problem, shop around for a new mechanic. As far as mechanics go, an older man with lots of experience and a messy office is better than a garage with a fancy waiting room, nice chairs and espresso coffee waiting for you.

​Yes, thank you Jesus. I did go for a second opinion and took my van somewhere else to a local mechanic, he gave me an estimate for repair and labor for under $150. The mechanic had informed me that whoever changed the oil on my vehicle, either he/she was careless or going too fast that damaged the oil pan plug, but the oil pan is fine. Oil plug drain costs no more than $10 and his labor is about $100.

​The dealer installed part, damaged my vehicle, over charged me and they want me to pay again for their mistake !!! Shame, shame and never again.

Comment

Originally posted by dmitri11 View Post
          This is just the first step in your climb to your insight, to an ability for seeing the truth in things.

Want your order of things?
          ​I got your first sentence but what do you mean "want your order of things?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Easygliderpro View Post

​I got your first sentence but what do you mean "want your order of things?

Thank you
            So hard to be God.

Comment

So hard to be God.
              "So hard to be a god" would have been the correct way to write this. People who have a Slavic language as a mother tongue don't always include articles when writing or speaking English.

Now for Easygliderpro's question,

...what do you mean, "want your order of things?
              What does God do? he orders things according to his will & purpose. So if you're a god, you'll order things according to how you think they should be.

Carry on.

Comment

"So hard to be a god" would have been the correct way to write this. People who have a Slavic language as a mother tongue don't always include articles when writing or speaking English.

What does God do? he orders things according to his will & purpose. So if you're a god, you'll order things according to how you think they should be.

Carry on.

Thanks for the explanation and now it makes sense and clear to me.....

Comment

your oil pan doesn't need replacing unless something hit it. and your oil plug doesn't get damaged unless dealer was careless with it. I have cars 20+ years old with original plug. It's a bolt.

and you don't need to change your oil every 3000 miles. Read the manual.

Comment

Carry on.

The indefinite article need women who want to marry a...a dentist or a...a plastic surgeon or a...a lawyer ... or the "mechanic".
                    Last edited by dmitri11; 01-13-2018, 10:23 AM.

Comment

I have purchased and maintained my vehicle at the dealer where I got it from them 4 years ago. Everything was done to my vehicle according to manufacturer warranty and oil changes done every 3000 miles.

​Last week, the service writer told me that I needed a new oil pan and the oil pan plug drain is also worn out and needed replacement soon. I told the service writer I remember, I had this replaced and done here less than 2 years ago. He checked my vehicle's record on his computer and found it true, but he said every job is covered for one year or 3000 miles whichever comes first and I had to pay again and it costs $695.00 to replace an oil pan. Its insane.

​I started to believe this dealership, they probably never replaced the oil pan the first time I brought my vehicle or lying about something and they simply want me to pay for nothing.

​Anyone out there as a mechanic, a car owner or in the automotive industry can share any thought, experience or advise?
                      lol... I can't believe you're a man, but funny story
                      3000 miles (4 828 km) that's a joke right?
                      Usually you change oil all 20000 km (12400 miles), no wonder some mechanic destroyed the oil pan because to often released oil outlet bolt. A new bolt cost perhaps 5 USD, the thread in oil pan if damaged can be fixed while cutting a new thread. (5-10 min work time)

I suppose you should change your mechanic it's a thief.

Comment

The indefinite article need women who want to marry a...a dentist or a...a plastic surgeon or a...a lawyer ... or the "mechanic".
                        I'm a criminal with money, healthy teeth, no surgery needed and have knowledge about cars.... so i think the lawyer is a good choice
                        But i'm not a woman.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post

lol... I can't believe you're a man, but funny story
                          3000 miles (4 828 km) that's a joke right?
                          Usually you change oil all 20000 km (12400 miles), no wonder some mechanic destroyed the oil pan because to often released oil outlet bolt. A new bolt cost perhaps 5 USD, the thread in oil pan if damaged can be fixed while cutting a new thread. (5-10 min work time)

I suppose you should change your mechanic it's a thief.
                          "
                          I can't believe you're a man". This is an insult, Adam !. I am NOT sure if you really meant to say these words about me, or your translator did not translate correctly for you.
                          For your information, I am a real man, I may NOT be quite knowledgeable about cars, but I won't brag, show off or insult anyone here.

​That's the main reason, I opened and created this forum about my vehicle's problem. I wanted to take it somewhere else for a second look by another mechanic. I just wanted to share my car problem with others here, as to warn and educate everyone, but not to insult them, or calling anyone names such as "
                          I can't believe you're a man"....

Here in the USA, most cars suggested by manufacturer and in the car manual, that each car owner to replace oil change every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. I am sure, some cars now a days can go farther than 3000 miles. I was just trying to follow manufacturer recommendations.

From pervious message, the second mechanic had already informed me, about how much it will cost for labor and parts, which is less than $150.

​I may not be a mechanic or knowledgeable about cars, but I am an IT Network Engineer. I will use my experience and knowledge, to help people in any way I can, instead of me putting them down or calling them names.

​Here's a quote for you to think about or anyone else before insulting others: Don't insult the intelligence of others.

"
                          Intelligent people understand sarcasm does not equal anger, sarcasm is cleverly disguised humor. It's not my fault if you 'don't get it'"

Comment

Now I know, You're probably the only honest mechanic in the World. You didn't do it - no one will do it.
                            Last edited by dmitri11; 01-13-2018, 08:19 PM.

Comment

"
                              I can't believe you're a man". This is an insult, Adam !. I am NOT sure if you really meant to say these words about me, or your translator did not translate correctly for you.
                              For your information, I am a real man, I may NOT be quite knowledgeable about cars, but I won't brag, show off or insult anyone here.

​That's the main reason, I opened and created this forum about my vehicle's problem. I wanted to take it somewhere else for a second look by another mechanic. I just wanted to share my car problem with others here, as to warn and educate everyone, but not to insult them, or calling anyone names such as " [LEFT][COLOR=#252C2F][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]I can't believe you're a man"....

Here in the USA, most cars suggested by manufacturer and in the car manual, that each car owner to replace oil change every 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first. I am sure, some cars now a days can go farther than 3000 miles. I was just trying to follow manufacturer recommendations.
                              Hades didn't insult you, don't worry. Perhaps you are not that much into cars, that's all. Changing your oil every 3000 miles as per the Owner's manual is wasteful and polluting. That interval is OK for a new engine after the run-in procedure is completed but afterwards, you can go to once-a-year changes with a quality synthetic oil.

I have never followed the Owner's Manual as far as oil changes are concerned. I change my own oil & oil filter once a year and I use synthetic oil in my vehicles. (a Toyota 4-cyl, and a Ford V10). I've owned Chrysler, Mazda and Honda vehicles and have always changed the oil & filter myself without any problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X