Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is loving oneself the key to a successful relationship ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is loving oneself the key to a successful relationship ?

Just dropping the question, see if it bites...
    How much of self-love is needed to be able to meet a matching soul ?

Absolutely! If we don't love ourselves we can't love someone else.

Comment

An unhappy not able to love and to be loved. The automatic translator suggested that the word "poor". Why? AI is poor and not very good-looking.
      Last edited by dmitri11; 01-17-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Patafix View Post
        I think that is difficult to answer because it depends on what you mean by "self-love." In terms of meeting a matching soul, you need to like things about yourself to like things in another person, ergo having similarity. But some people like something in someone else that they don't have. They are attracted to the person because that want that aspect to rub off on them.

Comment

I agree with loki. It is a difficult question to answer. But I have to add this: if one doesn't have a stable upbringing, and that person doesn't have a good self image as a result, does that preclude the fact they will never qualify for a loving relationship? Even though that person has good values? Ok, I realize I added a question to the original thought, but it is a valid point I think. Just curious, and adding to an interesting post...

Comment

here is something i read in a textbook im reading: "People with low self-esteem sometimes sabotage their own relationship by making mountains out of molehills and perceiving rejection where none exists."

Comment

I don't think it's a requirement to love oneself first before one falls in love, however, self love is indeed necessary if you want that relationship lasts long term.

Comment

Loving oneself is the key to successful endevours in onany

Comment

Originally posted by grgur View Post
                  Loving oneself is the key to successful endevours in onany
                  Not THAT kind of self-love, young man ! Although it's a very important one !

Comment

Self-acceptance is important. Few people arrive at that.

Comment

I'm not sure if self-love would be the best words for it. It too vague, that it could easily miss-interpreted/understood. A narcissistic personality, could be said as someone who very very love themselves, thus it is a form of self-love, and so on.

I personally think that maybe self-respect should be considered.

Respecting yourself, is a form of self-love where you love yourself in the form of saying, "I deserve something good, noble, virtuous, etc". Ie : self want to eat tasty junk food, but self-respect out of the love to self, refrain from eating junk food. It decided to refrain from do something that will harm it self, out of respect and believe that his/her body deserve something better. And so on. In relation ship, one with self respect, refuse to enter a relation ship where he/she can't develop themselves, an abusive relationship, etc.

It is also applied in the relation within, as it is with without. Self-respect means, I have the right to be a better person, choose a noble path, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Han1977 View Post

I personally think that maybe self-respect should be considered...
                        Self-respect is good.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

Self-respect is good.

Humanity is the mold on the small grain of sand in the Universe - earth planet ... Love all or nothing.
                          Last edited by dmitri11; 01-19-2018, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Self love could be taken as narcissism. On the other hand when we take single components of mature love as respect, comprehension, acceptance ... without all those components of blind love like baseless affection, jealousy and an omnipresent admiration as well as we apply it on our self, it looks different.

Yeah, i think when you don't consider your self in a positive light than others won't do that in any case. So is 'self-love' as far as we understand how 'love' should be this what make us worthy for the others to be loved.
                            Nevertheless there is a threshold of overestimation and this isn't something what others will love, or they just take the part they could need of you an reject the rest. What isn't a solution for a stable long term relationship.

Comment

Loving oneself is a key to inner peace in my opinion. As for successful relationship, it must be a relationship which is not abusive and toxic. If both respect and love each other and also love themselves, it'll be OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X