Opinions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions

is it possible to establish a relationship without ever meeting before?

I believe online friendship is possible, it is possible to like or dislike people online but relationship without finally meeting in person is not possible in my opinion.

Comment

Yes, possible. To be friend is to be synchronized in someway (same hobbies, same social condition, same mentality, etc ). In other word, it is "fitting in chemistry"
      The easiest is example are online gaming friends. They share the game, which they played as a common starting background. And then other factors, which were mentioned, will come into play to determine if a friendship is established or not.

My personal experience: I met 3 people on interpals chatroom (the old day when java base chatroom was still on this site). 1 of them are zoologist, 1 is a random English baroness and the other is an engineer. They are funny as hell and we often fought in the chatroom over every little things. We share many common traits and hobbies. That is how we became friend, fight and making dark jokes. We still keep in touch after all those years (although the baroness passed away 2 years ago)

And again, It is possible to "establish a relationship without ever meeting before". It is fun and interesting, but tread carefully. It is the internet afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by Nano-Man View Post
        We still keep in touch after all those years (although the baroness passed away 2 years ago)
        Do you use an Ouja board to keep in touch with the baroness?

Comment

Originally posted by VandalValo View Post

Do you use an Ouja board to keep in touch with the baroness?
          Actually, we performed rituals that involve the sacrifice of 1000 virgins, the conjuring and subjugation of all demon lords.Then we danced around a a huge bonfire while chanting in Sumerian in order to to summon her avatar to this world. All that so we can ask her opinion about a garment product.

Comment

I would go further, it's possible to make a friendship without even knowing the voice or the face of someone. It's obvious when you spend time playing online games where many people start to make groups and guilds to be with people who have the same goals and/or mentality.

In my case, from such games, I end to talk with people for more than 8years, some of them didn't hear my voice after 5 years and some never saw how I look like after all this time, yet it didn't bother us and we are able to talk or to play together often, in fact, we even exchanged gifts without any problems. So, really, meeting isn't necessary at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
              I would go further, it's possible to make a friendship without even knowing the voice or the face of someone. It's obvious when you spend time playing online games where many people start to make groups and guilds to be with people who have the same goals and/or mentality.

In my case, from such games, I end to talk with people for more than 8years, some of them didn't hear my voice after 5 years and some never saw how I look like after all this time, yet it didn't bother us and we are able to talk or to play together often, in fact, we even exchanged gifts without any problems. So, really, meeting isn't necessary at all.
              same here. Only three of them know how I look like and only because we accidentally live very close together. My gaming-friendships started about 2009.
              But there are a couple of older friendships from a forum I started using in 2004. Those I have met all in real life meanwhile - but it took more than 5years. What connects us are similar interests and listening to eachothers stories about our children growing up. Our plan is sitting together knitting when we are old aged - if in virtual or in real life does not play a role.
              In dir muß brennen, was du in anderen entzünden willst. What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. [Aurelius]

Comment

Originally posted by Suna123 View Post

Our plan is sitting together knitting when we are old aged - if in virtual or in real life does not play a role.
                I wonder why old people love knitting or things that related to clothing so much.

Comment

Friendship can work perfectly without physical contact. But if it comes to a romantic relationship, it can't, you never know if it will work before you meet.
                  Niin, łell, äkschly...

Comment

Originally posted by Nano-Man View Post

Actually, we performed rituals that involve the sacrifice of 1000 virgins.
                    A whole bunch of Comic-Con participants must have disappeared.

Comment

Yes it is,it depend on what kind of relationship, if it is just a friend, then it is yes, but if you want more serious relationship like a loving couple, you need to meet.

Comment

Originally posted by frozenmadness View Post
                        Friendship can work perfectly without physical contact. But if it comes to a romantic relationship, it can't, you never know if it will work before you meet.
                        I believe the same. Friendship online can be OK without even knowing the way a person looks like, it is enough to know what he or she is like and to like the personality, even age, background is not important in online friendship, the place a person comes from is not important either, just personality is. I had much younger and much older online friends in the past, same is now. I will never forget certain people I used to communicate with, somehow I remembered a few people I met on the site which was called mailfriends years ago, it was fun to chat, to see how their lives develop. As for romantic relationships, it is completely different.

Comment

I've seen it work with some people, but they meet quite soon. Never happened to me though. haha. But yeah, Dating does require physical contact I guess. As far as I've seen, no physical contact usually ends stuck in the friend zone. Can't comment any further though, since I have limited experience.

Comment

Foolish. You underestimate the power of the Distance god.

Comment

Working...
                            X