Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Musical snobbery - do you look down on fans of other types of music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical snobbery - do you look down on fans of other types of music?

I have noticed that some fans seem to think that their taste makes them better than other people, or they look down on other types of music.

A funny example of this happened to me a few nights ago; I went to a party at a pub where a band was playing, the band often invite guests on stage to play some songs with them, be it singers, pianist guitarists etc. I play guitar, so I got up and played a bit of blues in the first half of the gig and then in the second half I played and sang. First up I did two Led Zep numbers, Whole Lotta Love and led into Rock and Roll, while I was playing I noticed on guy in the audience really getting into it, tapping his foot giving it the whole air guitar shtick (which I f'ing well hate); but his enjoyment turned to a scowl when I played my next song Cigarettes and Alcohol (Oasis).

He came up to me after I finished: "I can't believe you followed such classics with that shit!", "Oasis can't even play guitar.", "Tone deaf rubbish." etc. He genuinely looked quite cross....he looked even worse when I told him that neither was my type of music, I prefer Kanye West! (Not true, but I just had to wind him up).

On the whole I like all types of music, for different reasons. For a bit of fun, pop music is light and lively; I like rock music for more visceral enjoyment and appreciating musicianship; and I like classical or jazz for a more intellectual side of things.

It has always amused me when people say one musician or type of music is less talented than another - when really different types of music are trying to achieve different things; The Sex Pistols the same as The Spice Girls weren't trying to be the best musicians, they were trying to entertain people - if you want to hear what someone out and out trying to be the most technical musician in the world sounds like it is Luciano Berio - he is a far far more technically accomplished musician than Jimmy Page, Joe Satriani or Van Halen, but his stuff is unlistenable! (Actually I have a CD of his in my car...which when played makes people ask for lifts a lot less often.)

I would like to hear examples of musical snobbery - and if you are a musical snob, attempt to justify yourself!

Lol I used to be like that
    Back in times when I only liked prog rock/ prock metal and thought I listen to most complicated, ambitious and best music in the world.
    But now my taste in music is much more wider, I like classical, jazz, metal , hip hop, etc
    So, I think such people just need to grow up

Comment

Yes, when the fans of the artist are retarded morons who look down on anybody, I look down on them. Very good examples are the fangirls of Bieber or One Direction, or recently Dimash.

Else, I can't help to say "meh, it's shit."when it comes to such "songs" (which have a fanbases of retarded morons too... Strangely...) :

If you want an explanation fo why I think it's shit, there is one :

Last edited by Sancta_Lux; 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Giving me that i want we dance and sing!

Comment

Musical snobbery has been my cross to bear since my teens !

Because, oddly enough, in many casesnobody around me seemed to like the ones selling millions and quoted X or Y as the new big thing only a happy few had the privilege of knowing. And when X and Y had a breakthrough hit, they moved to Z, etc.

I've always had broad musical tastes. In my records you find the lightest bubble pop of the 90s as well as prog rock of the 70s, I followed most trends whether it's yéyé, disco, new wave etc. I can enjoy a recent Bjork or experimental music then turn to cheesy torch songs, the plainest acoustic ballad then the multi layer (heavy) cake of a Katy Perry tune.
          So I have always been with snob fans looking at me like 'what ? you listen to X as well ?' as if I had said I had cancer or a very bad breath.

What I hate the most is butterfly fans : people that are hardcore fans for a few years then look back and say "oh yeah, I liked that when I was a kid" or something like that. And why did they stop, not just liking, but worshipping those artists ? I always like to find a new artist and style of music, but I can't erase what I once liked because it's not trendy anymore. I'm tired of seeing some decades limited to the same list of songs on every bloody compilation or tv show.

Mainstream pop is sounding shockingly the same nowadays - so yes, I'm a snob about that. It really disturbs me that people enjoy this endless steam of similar "hits" that you swear were all written and played by the same team. For me most of those songs wouldn't even qualify for a b-side (those who know what that is will understand). Just like I didn't like when eurodance was shoved down our throats in the mid 90s - but now I enjoy those songs. Not sure about the best selling of 2017 !

Comment

Originally posted by Patafix View Post
            Mainstream pop is sounding shockingly the same nowadays - so yes, I'm a snob about that. It really disturbs me that people enjoy this endless steam of similar "hits" that you swear were all written and played by the same team. For me most of those songs wouldn't even qualify for a b-side (those who know what that is will understand). Just like I didn't like when eurodance was shoved down our throats in the mid 90s - but now I enjoy those songs. Not sure about the best selling of 2017 !
            You mean you don't like tolisten to the same song of Magic System every summer with only a different mix of words to say "we will dance, magic system is in the place" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
              You mean you don't like tolisten to the same song of Magic System every summer with only a different mix of words to say "we will dance, magic system is in the place" ?
              Magic System is another issue, don't get me started on this !
              You forgot inspired - never heard before - lines such as "Put your hands up in the air" !
              Last edited by Patafix; 01-15-2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I've become curious about music lovers who say they hate or never listen to rap or hip hop. Particularly those that cite commercial rap or hip hop musicians in writing those genres off and haven't really explored the genres. I can't really tolerate 70s and trance or techno music but as someone who likes music, I'd never say I hate all of one music and would be willing to listen to a song from any genre. I just wonder what exactly forged the hardcore "I hate rap" or "I hate hip hop" people to believe with such conviction that these music genres are (fill in the blank)? If they have actually explored the genre?
                Last edited by pnpalskr8; 02-12-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pnpalskr8 View Post
                  I've become curious about music lovers who say they hate or never listen to rap or hip hop. Particularly those that cite commercial rap or hip hop musicians in writing those genres off and haven't really explored the genres. I can't really tolerate 70s and trance or techno music but as someone who likes music, I'd never say I hate all of one music and would be willing to listen to a song from any genre. I just wonder what exactly forged the hardcore "I hate rap" or "I hate hip hop" people to believe with such conviction that these music genres are (fill in the blank). If they have actually explored the genre.
                  It wasn't 'rap' or 'hip hop' that got my goat. Who didn't like the Sugar Hill Gang, or Grand Master Flash? Nope. I hated Jazz, especially the mindless kind played by Herp Albert. Until one day I when I saw Tokyo's Jazz Cafe featured on Japanese TV. They played 'Fierce Angel' Jazz fusion from Argentina. By accident I found a midnight radio jazz show that played it. I listened. Now I like Jazz too.
                  Last edited by look4swissmiss; 02-12-2018, 11:29 PM.

Comment

i won't look down on any type of music.but i do look down on some so called musician,not against them in personal tho,just an exsample.TS's "look what you made me do"……for me that is pure shit.but you enjoy it~by all mean just dig in,don't have a problem and should not have problem with that.

Comment

I do look down on people based on their musical preference, but only people who ONLY listen to mainstream stuff. I they're too lazy or not smart enough to find their own niche of artists. Instead they take the easy way out, by listenening to what's trending. Yeah I do look down on those people.

Comment

No, i am not a sanctamonious edgy teenager.

Comment

I like elevator music. If it’s a glass elevator, I look down on others, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

You mean 'ambient music' not 'elevator' surely? You know, the kind of music you can hear around Malls and Airport shops. It all started after Brian (LaSalle etc...) Eno's car accident. He became enlightened. It was the end of his stage career (or was it?) After he escaped from hospital (I know the feeling), he fed Pachoban's Cannon though his Ferro***** tape deck from different delay points and ambient music was born.

Ergo: a snobby narrative must include some pointless information that no one else could possibly know about. In Britain we have a whole cult programme based around pointless answers.
                            https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/805387/Pointless-Richard-Osman-Alexander-Armstrong-Holly-Gillingham-Football-club-BBC
                            This contestant said she's been named after a football club!
                            Last edited by look4swissmiss; 02-24-2018, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

Issou, wasn't bad !

Comment

Working...
                              X