No announcement yet.

Do you like hunting and fishing? Why?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't mention it earlier, rambling on about hunting ethics, but I did kind of like hunting as a child, when my hands weren't frozen solid from sitting out in the cold

It was a family bonding activity back in Pennsylvania, where I grew up. Hunting rabbits or birds was just about fathers and sons going out with shotguns and the dog for few hours, usually on a crisp fall day. Deer hunting was a real production.

We'd set up a camp with a fire, put out some nice turkey stew, and then scatter to get on with sitting and waiting for a deer to go by and kill it. In the late morning and afternoon that would change to walking around looking to kill one from a longer distance.

It was a real back-to-primitive-roots set of activities. Killing something in order to eat it is a unique experience.

Fishing--screw that. Everything remotely interesting happens underwater. That's unless you're a fly fisherman, and for the effort, learning curve, and expense that takes you'd be better off eating in restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Hades91 View Post
      Seal clubbing in northern Canada is surely more exciting.
      In Europe is hunting an expensive hobby with all the licenses, even if you can afford that it's a lot of effort until you can shot a deer. It's not worth the time and money.
      Fishing is more interesting, because it's relatively cheap. Having 50kg cod fillets in the freezer it's not a bad thing.
      Whites used to club seals but that activity is no longer economically viable because of the European ban on sealskin garments. In the arctic - where I used to live - the Inuit hunt seals with an automatic harpoon. The harpoon contraption is set up over a breathing hole in the sea ice and when a seal comes up to breathe, he sets off the harpoon which usually kills him...sometimes quickly. The Inuit eat seal meat raw...yuck. Well, they eat all meat raw.

Comment

Originally posted by john_in_bkk View Post

It was a family bonding activity back in Pennsylvania, where I grew up. Hunting rabbits or birds was just about fathers and sons going out with shotguns and the dog for few hours, usually on a crisp fall day. Deer hunting was a real production...

...It was a real back-to-primitive-roots set of activities. Killing something in order to eat it is a unique experience.
        I guess you have to be introduced to hunting as a kid in order to really enjoy it. As for me, I couldn't think of anything more disagreeable than killing an animal and having to empty and butcher it. Yuck! If I had to do that to eat meat, I'd become a vegetarian right away!

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

I guess you have to be introduced to hunting as a kid in order to really enjoy it. As for me, I couldn't think of anything more disagreeable than killing an animal and having to empty and butcher it. Yuck! If I had to do that to eat meat, I'd become a vegetarian right away!

No need if you are this kind of hunter (les commentaires sont tout aussi magiques) :

Back to the topic, I realized I would really love to try to hunt. I mean, I wouldn't like to try to kill an animal (anyway I'm lame af when it comes to focus and/or shoot somthing), but the part about finding a specie and track it is something I always found interesting. Moreover, some "tricks" from hunting are very useful to scientists who are studying biodiversity.
          Last edited by Sancta_Lux; 02-21-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

No need if you are this kind of hunter (les commentaires sont tout aussi magiques) :

Back to the topic, I realized I would really love to try to hunt. I mean, I wouldn't like to try to kill an animal (anyway I'm lame af when it comes to focus and/or shoot somthing), but the part about finding a specie and track it is something I always found interesting. Moreover, some "tricks" from hunting are very useful to scientists who are studying biodiversity.

Hahaha! Great clip! Too bad the English-speakers here won't understand it. That's EXACTLY the type of hunting I would enjoy: a bunch of guys drinking, telling stories and shooting guns at trees.

I didn't mention this earlier, but when I went hunting I was told not to wash myself for a few days so that the deer wouldn't smell my presence. So I spent the weekend smelling like an athlete after a hard workout in the gym. Ugh! As if that weren't enough, we could not drink ANY BEER, wine or alcohol because we were carrying guns! What kind of crazy, screwed-up "fun"-weekend is that?! What type of weirdo would want to spend his weekend doing this?!

If you like the idea of tracking wild animals, you can do it with photography. You won't have the mess of butchering an animal in the forest and you'll have nice pictures to post on the web...

Comment

Killing isn't a pleasure for sane people, but it belong to the game of hunting. By first time you have some moralistic objections but later you are more concerned with the time what happens after the shot. You don't want that the animal suffers too much, hence you have to hit it right that the blood pressure falls rapidly. Processing of the animal into meat is a lot of really dirty work and probably the most repellent part of hunting. Reading of tracks and running in the forest isn't really an effective tactic because animals have much better senses and will always trick you out among the trees.
              Deer need to feed on meadows and they have often the same places where they come out of trees in certain hours. Other method is driving hunt {battue}, where the wild comes out into open field, but you need a lot of people for that, hence is this a method for hunting clubs and running animals aren't easy targets from more than 200m. This is the part where you have to find the animal on hand of tracks and that's the cruel part when it's still alive when you find it.

Comment

Killing isn't a pleasure for sane people, but it belong to the game of hunting. By first time you have some moralistic objections but later you are more concerned with the time what happens after the shot. You don't want that the animal suffers too much, hence you have to hit it right that the blood pressure falls rapidly. Processing of the animal into meat is a lot of really dirty work and probably the most repellent part of hunting. Reading of tracks and running in the forest isn't really an effective tactic because animals have much better senses and will always trick you out among the trees.
                Deer need to feed on meadows and they have often the same places where they come out of trees in certain hours. Other method is driving hunt {battue}, where the wild comes out into open field, but you need a lot of people for that, hence is this a method for hunting clubs and running animals aren't easy targets from more than 200m. This is the part where you have to find the animal on hand of tracks and that's the cruel part when it's still alive when you find it.
                I don't have any moral objections to hunting. It's just not something I would do. I don't have any moral objections to bungee jumping...and I wouldn't want to bungee jump either!

All my hunting is done at the supermarket! It's easy, there's no mess and I get to spend my weekend doing something I really like.

Comment

I don't have any moral objections to hunting. It's just not something I would do. I don't have any moral objections to bungee jumping...and I wouldn't want to bungee jump either!

All my hunting is done at the supermarket! It's easy, there's no mess and I get to spend my weekend doing something I really like.

The main purpose of hunting or fishing isn't the prey, it's the competition with others. Even if you go with guys from work into a night club, the hunting competition among guys will start, no matter if they have GF or are married. It's an instinct.
                  'Hunting' in supermarket is something for females. I make shopping alone in a big supermarket in 15-20 min, with a woman on the side is that not possible. They have the gatherer instinct. Every goods shelf has to be painstakingly checked and it takes more than 2 hours.
                  Are you one of those guys whom their women drag with an angry face on to checkout counter?

Comment

Are you one of those guys whom their women drag with an angry face on to checkout counter?
                    Yes... I’m one of those guys! I prefer to shop alone without a woman around.

Comment

I was a vegetarian for 17 years (or so), and I suppose hunting may have played a part in that. Witnessing how factory farming goes also played a part.

It's easy to say that hunting and killing things is gruesome and savage but the life experience that farmed animals have that end up in packages in grocery stores is a lot worse than that of wild animals, even if a relatively unpleasant death is also factored in.

I don't mean that as some sort of judgement; I intend to express it as a generally accurate fact. I was never a commercial farmer myself but I've been to a few versions of factory farms and that experience also played into choosing to not eat meat.

I just saw someone post online recently that they were shocked to learn that dairy cows don't live out happy, comfortable existences, in general. More than that being noteworthy it seemed odd that they would somehow assume that the cows would. Things are typically a bit rough for chickens too, and by that I mean hellish.

Comment

Originally posted by john_in_bkk View Post

I was a vegetarian for 17 years (or so), and I suppose hunting may have played a part in that. Witnessing how factory farming goes also played a part.

It's easy to say that hunting and killing things is gruesome and savage but the life experience that farmed animals have that end up in packages in grocery stores is a lot worse than that of wild animals, even if a relatively unpleasant death is also factored in.

I don't mean that as some sort of judgement; I intend to express it as a generally accurate fact. I was never a commercial farmer myself but I've been to a few versions of factory farms and that experience also played into choosing to not eat meat.

I just saw someone post online recently that they were shocked to learn that dairy cows don't live out happy, comfortable existences, in general. More than that being noteworthy it seemed odd that they would somehow assume that the cows would. Things are typically a bit rough for chickens too, and by that I mean hellish.

Hmmm...I know that farmed animals usually live in cramped conditions and lead what are probably quite miserable lives ...but we are looking at this with our eyes. Farmed animals have know only that life and will know no other. For people who are bothered by this, the market offers free-run chicken, and "humanely-raised" meat. (Well, probably not in Thailand!) There's also the option of going vegetarian. Or to eat only fish and seafood... I've watched YouTube videos on slaughterhouse..."activities"...and that's not a place where I would want to work either. Blood-and-guts is not my thing.

Dairy cows? They're in your BigMac...

Comment

Dairy cows? They're in your BigMac...

Suck tits or catching food by your hand.

Comment

i never have experienced it but anyway i will also never like this action because it is conflicting with my vegan ideology. i can't get fun or relaxing as a consequence of that. It is not different from buying or clothing fur and supporting animal fights as you think. our administration format by the society is making harder to comprehend it because our behavior disposed to do something we learned in childhood. only the people who have the ability of observing conditions from outside and are non-selfish will receive the point of what was said.
                            Last edited by letstalk97; 03-11-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

sorry i dont like that because i am vegetarian from south india

Comment

Working...
                              X