X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limitedoffer
    started a topic Ocean Cleanup

Ocean Cleanup

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that some people are actually doing something to help the Environment.
    Develops advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. Full-scale deployment will remove 50% of the North Pacific gyre debris in 5 years.

• look4swissmiss
    replied
    Originally posted by Talise12 View Post
    One good idea, for this topic: https://actions.sumofus.org/a/superm...aA5G&source=fb
    "Supermarket Iceland has just announced it’s going plastic free, to help end the scourge of plastic pollution."
    Any country drawing up its own plans is ploughing its own furrow, until the UN's International Marine Organisation collectively, does something about controlling coastline marine/beach waste. Plastic is made from hydrocarbons: oil and gas. We know that most common plastics (eg high or low density polyethylene HDPE/ LDPE) are easily reprocessed into leisure products such as garden/poolside furniture and (when mixed with tyre aggregate and dye) you can get running track aggregate. Commentators say we have to start thinking about plastic, not as waste, but as a scarce resource.
    Last edited by look4swissmiss; 02-18-2018, 08:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Talise12
    replied
    Originally posted by look4swissmiss View Post

Decades of dithering by politicians won't solve the problem. In EU, the tenet of producer responsibility won't govern how consumers throw things away. In that context, producers labelling schemes might encourage recycling, but still we're told that so-called recycled waste is reaching landfill. Worldwide problem (where most plastic waste reaches landfill) means that severely adverse weather can (and does) blow plastic waste down valleys and into the sea. eg: North Africa
    One good idea, for this topic: https://actions.sumofus.org/a/superm...aA5G&source=fb
    "Supermarket Iceland has just announced it’s going plastic free, to help end the scourge of plastic pollution."

Leave a comment:

• look4swissmiss
    replied
    Originally posted by Talise12 View Post
    Leaders, politicians, have to deal more seriously with this problem. I wish I could do anything. I can not go anywhere and work on it, but we can all change our consumption patterns drastically and immediately. For example stop using plastic bags and plastic bottle? Work hard on recycling..
    Decades of dithering by politicians won't solve the problem. 'Bags for life' are more effective that the 'bag tax' to encourage bag recycling and re-use.
    In EU, the tenet of producer responsibility won't govern how consumers throw things away. In that context, producers labelling schemes might encourage recycling, but still we're told that so-called recycled waste is reaching landfill. Worldwide problem (where most plastic waste reaches landfill) means that severely adverse weather can (and does) blow plastic waste down valleys and into the sea. eg: North Africa
    Last edited by look4swissmiss; 02-18-2018, 08:31 AM. Reason: Added: 'Bags for life' are more effective that the 'bag tax' to encourage bag recycling and re-use.

Leave a comment:

• Talise12
    replied
    Leaders, politicians, have to deal more seriously with this problem. I wish I could do anything. I can not go anywhere and work on it, but we can all change our consumption patterns drastically and immediately. For example stop using plastic bags and plastic bottle? Work hard on recycling..

Leave a comment:

• look4swissmiss
    replied
    Originally posted by limitedoffer View Post
    I buy plastic bottles and throw them in the sea where you're about to do your research, it's quite fun seeing you waste your time cleaning, when some guy created a machine to do the work for you.
    Worldwide, beach cleans don't happen that often (India excepted). Of course it's misleading to say that all coastline is accessible by one single standard of 'clean-up' machinery. It isn't. But as any coastguard would tell you, worldwide there are billions of kilometres littered with plastic. Also, it's misleading to assume that plastic should be collected by beach clean volunteers, when U-V biodegradability can degrade one single bottle into thousands of fragments over 4-5 years.

What shocked me wasn't having to count meticulously, the total number of fragments for the survey, according to a table of dimensions. No. What shocked me most was when a YL ejected her plastic tampon insertion device from between her legs and discarded it nonchalantly between the pebbles for me to collect and bag at her feet. Thanks honey, I felt belittled.

Ergo: Just think of that extra hassle you can cause, next time you dispose of any plastics on the beach. http://images.mid-day.com/images/201...sova-beach.jpg
    Last edited by look4swissmiss; 02-11-2018, 08:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• limitedoffer
    replied
    Originally posted by look4swissmiss View Post

The question is what are you doing? Previously I've done beach 'clean-up' audits. Last year I joined the shore-line survey team along the south-east coast of England UK. OK you get wet and occasionally stick in glutinous mud, but at least it's finding some interesting evidence about the arrival of exotic species carried by warmer seas. Ergo: it would have been impossible to complete the survey without the previously removing plastic marine waste.

I buy plastic bottles and throw them in the sea where you're about to do your research, it's quite fun seeing you waste your time cleaning, when some guy created a machine to do the work for you.

Leave a comment:

• look4swissmiss
    replied
    Originally posted by limitedoffer View Post
    Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that some people are actually doing something to help the Environment.
    The question is what are you doing? Previously I've done beach 'clean-up' audits. Last year I joined the shore-line survey team along the south-east coast of England UK. OK you get wet and occasionally stick in glutinous mud, but at least it's finding some interesting evidence about the arrival of exotic species carried by warmer seas. Ergo: it would have been impossible to complete the survey without the previously removing plastic marine waste.
    Last edited by look4swissmiss; 02-06-2018, 02:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X