Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you taught of freeing the animals in captivity?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you taught of freeing the animals in captivity?

Lately I saw two groups of animals which made me think deeper in what I can do. There were sheeps and goats living in confined cages, looking like they were infested with dirt and bugs (which i know not what of) and.. well the living environment just looked unpleasant. Then I happen to stay in a farm resort where there were just a few animals. They look happy and people can go in to interact with them. Some of the animals are also friendly and you can get close to them. It was lovely. And i felt like.. Is there a way to help free these animals in captivity and give them humanistic lives? Would love to hear your views!

Domestic sheep and goats are raised for meat, hair, wool and dairy productions, Unfortunately It is the capitalism who reigns today not Animal welfare, There is no benefit for a pragmatic farmer to spend an additional sum of money and efforts on the comfort of their livestock, by providing more space as you suggested or taking an extra hygienic care for them, that would've cost them some more undesirable capital outlay which they originally try to avoid. Let alone that in many cases the cattle are being fed on poor/harmful forage to increase profits, Yet most of those farmers ain't stopping complaints about the lack of governmental supports.

Comment

Originally posted by spunkyaw View Post
      Lately I saw two groups of animals which made me think deeper in what I can do. There were sheeps and goats living in confined cages, looking like they were infested with dirt and bugs (which i know not what of) and.. well the living environment just looked unpleasant. Then I happen to stay in a farm resort where there were just a few animals. They look happy and people can go in to interact with them. Some of the animals are also friendly and you can get close to them. It was lovely. And i felt like.. Is there a way to help free these animals in captivity and give them humanistic lives? Would love to hear your views!
      yes, you can stop eating meat and dairy products, don't by any leather product.
      If everybody does so, then there won't be any animals living in cages.

Yes, I have thought of it and tried too - in the end I postponed this to the moment when meat is properly produced in labs (already works theoretically, but not available for mass production yet)

Comment

I had a rabbit as kid few weeks long. Somehow it was night active and had made always a lot of noise at night. My parents told me, I should leave it free. I went with the cage into a field, far away of any human houses and left it free.
        Well, even as kid it was clear for me this animal will not survive a day outside, therefore I had doubts if it was a good deed

Comment

It's not a good idea to free animals because they were domisticated thousands of years ago and won't survive in the natural environment. What's more freeing animals could have a negative effect on the environment itself, that animals could compete with wild animals. The best example is people freeing red-eared slinders which is competing with the european pond turtle. Beeding animals for food, milk and leather is the only reason some spieces of domesticated animals exist, without that they would die out and it would be a huge loss for the genetic pool of our planet.

Comment

Excluding Farm Animals----Yes! I find it really sick that people find it necessary to keep Wild Animals in cages. On the other hand, we cannot just release the ones which are already in captivity, they would not survive back in the Wild. Greater effort should be put into stopping the trade. If people did not keep birds and animals in cages for their own amusement then, surely, over time the habit would die. Legislation changes nothing, Laws get broken on a regular basis, it is the attitudes of people which need to be changed somehow. Closing things like Zoos might be a start. Farm animals are there for food and so in a different category, other than everyone becoming vegetarian I don't see how that could be changed.
            Last edited by Machlud; 09-15-2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

I had a girlfriend in college who moved on after graduation and ended up freeing her pet rabbit, in the DC area. That rabbit wasn't going to make it through a winter there but it probably was killed too quickly for that to even be an issue.

We visit a local zoo and the question of whether those animals should be in captivity does come to mind. Some take it better than others but it's still a prison life for them. "Open zoos" seem a better alternative, which they do have around in this area as well (outside of Bangkok, versus in the city). That's still a case of keeping animals in captivity, with a lot of the same drawbacks, but at least they live in larger open spaces more like a farm environment.

Maybe the underlying premise of zoos isn't positive, that keeping animals in captivity to look at is ok. It is nice that my kids feel some vague connection to animals. They like feeding the goats there the most, so really it doesn't have to be about seeing lions and tigers, which are particularly poorly suited for confinement. We could just be visiting a farm. We have done that, and they did like seeing sheep.

This issue comes up most often related to tigers and elephants related to tourism in Thailand. The tiger zoos or farms are simply unethical. They heavily drug those animals so people can pet them.

Elephant camps or sanctuaries aren't quite as clear-cut. They live more natural existences there, and since elephants have been domesticated animals for a very long time here (for centuries) they've worked out more of a balance. All the same there are conflicting reports over whether or not riding an elephant is problematic, painful for them. It doesn't help that the input from the ethical treatment side is hearsay, just repeated claims and horror stories, most probably based on some truth but surely partly wrong too. I suppose it's at least a good thing that people are working on figuring out the right balance, offset by others doing whatever they can to earn money.

Comment

Working...
              X