Gazing monkeys image wins top wildlife photo award

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gazing monkeys image wins top wildlife photo award

There are some cool and beautiful animal pictures here if anyone wants a looksy, they are in the link under the pic There is a short write-up about each picture. The Gazing monkeys winning picture was taken whilst the two monkeys were watching a fight between some other monkeys

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45870218
    Last edited by fatbeard; 10-17-2018, 08:25 AM.

hehe, I loved the leopard picture and those monkeys are cool too - they seem like those on-lookers in a forum fight between noobs and 'super users'

Comment

Originally posted by Etsia View Post
      hehe, I loved the leopard picture and those monkeys are cool too - they seem like those on-lookers in a forum fight between noobs and 'super users'
      I can't see the "noob" anywhere. Seems that the leopard in that pic ate the "noob" :P

One for Halloween. Steve Irwin's son Robert Irwin shot this pic:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-...-year/10386514

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

I can't see the "noob" anywhere. Seems that the leopard in that pic ate the "noob" :P

Ah ok, that's interesting, i'm surprised that pic wasn't in the top 10, it was better than the sand dunes one imo *yawn

Comment

Originally posted by fatbeard View Post

Ah ok, that's interesting, i'm surprised that pic wasn't in the top 10, it was better than the sand dunes one imo *yawn
          The Namibian sand dunes pic was boring as well as the "sad clown" one. Neither had any sense of genuine composition. The Namibian one was typical point and shoot photography along a coastline while the "sand clown" one was a done up monkey with nothing to provide balance or contrast or for that matter to tell a real story. The photographer could have used elements in the background with a less blurred focus to do better storytelling - such as the image sharpening the focus on the woman and perhaps making the woman as much of a victim as the monkey in the mask.

Other than these two images, the other 8 are very good.

Comment

The Namibian sand dunes pic was boring as well as the "sad clown" one. Neither had any sense of genuine composition. The Namibian one was typical point and shoot photography along a coastline while the "sand clown" one was a done up monkey with nothing to provide balance or contrast or for that matter to tell a real story. The photographer could have used elements in the background with a less blurred focus to do better storytelling - such as the image sharpening the focus on the woman and perhaps making the woman as much of a victim as the monkey in the mask.

Other than these two images, the other 8 are very good.
            Disagree about the "sad clown monkey" pic, The real story behind that was the cruelty used by making the monkey wear an uncomfortable mask for street donations, the upside of that pic was the write up underneath that pic which confirmed those street monkey shows were being targeted and the monkeys were going back to the wild with that particular monkey in the pic already on the way back to be freed.

20 years ago give or take I was in Majorca when a particularly horrible little short lowlife street vendor scum came in the bar we were in at around 2am that had awfully loud music thumping away and he had a very small frightened looking dressed up monkey with a hat on and offered to put it on my shoulder and take a picture for a few pesetas, how mortally offended he looked when I said to him no you get on my shoulder you dirty monkey and let the real monkey take the picture...if it wasn't for the early morning police presence for 10 cents I would of happily kicked him all the way back to his brothel mothers womb

Comment

Disagree about the "sad clown monkey" pic, The real story behind that was the cruelty used by making the monkey wear an uncomfortable mask for street donations, the upside of that pic was the write up underneath that pic which confirmed those street monkey shows were being targeted and the monkeys were going back to the wild with that particular monkey in the pic already on the way back to be freed.
              It is precisely the backstory which tells us that the composition was not what it could have really been and what might have generated a truly iconic image.

What really tells the story of slavery here is the chain - the thing that really holds the monkey and its mask in place. Similarly, the woman at the other end of the chain is also highly blurred - in spite of this problem being actually tackled and the people behind it "being exposed from the shadows". Both these elements are highly underexpressed in the image - thereby only telling a small part of the story.

I suspect that the photographer got a head-rush seeing the high contrast between the colours of the monkey's mask and the background but didn't think a little further, so shot the monkey in high focus with probably an aperture that was too wide.

Anyway, a good picture telling a story but not one which should have made top 10 given many other pics in the competition were also extremely good.

20 years ago give or take I was in Majorca when a particularly horrible little short lowlife street vendor scum came in the bar we were in at around 2am that had awfully loud music thumping away and he had a very small frightened looking dressed up monkey with a hat on and offered to put it on my shoulder and take a picture for a few pesetas, how mortally offended he looked when I said to him no you get on my shoulder you dirty monkey and let the real monkey take the picture...if it wasn't for the early morning police presence for 10 cents I would of happily kicked him all the way back to his brothel mothers womb
              I'd have probably offered the larger monkey of the pair "dinner" from peanuts at the bar - making sure of course there was room to move if he came out swinging because he was "insulted".

Comment

ate and that's why it was so calm waking up from its sleep...it was not hungry and allowed the photographer make a great picture

Comment

Originally posted by Etsia View Post

ate and that's why it was so calm waking up from its sleep...it was not hungry and allowed the photographer make a great picture
                  It's a jungle out there

Comment

It's a jungle out there
                    unwelcoming jungle

Comment

Working...
                    X