The Lack of Freedom of Speech Around the World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lack of Freedom of Speech Around the World

I've lived in Germany and the United States and have visited most of Western Europe. I have read about freedom of speech around the world, and the only countries I have found that have freedom of speech are the United States and Japan. Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and many other countries that I expected to embrace freedom of speech have certain types of non-threatening speech classified as the American equivalent of felonies (prison sentence of 1 year or more). Examples of such speech are racism, speaking against someone's religion, or generally certain types of unpopular political speech. How is this justified in your home country? How do people think it's morally okay to use violence against someone for saying something racist or politically unpopular? I would only ever be willing to use violence against for violating my person or property, as a assaulter or thief, but never for insulting me.

Recently a British man I believe was sentenced to prison for teaching his pug to do the _________ salute.

Source
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3gU7omIthk

PS - I am probably wrong about a lot of countrie as I have only ever read about most of the world, and have not actually lived in these societies.

I've been in Berlin and happens what you say. Despite is known as a city of freedom of speech and thought I think it's the most repressed city I've ever been. In my opinion southern countries of europe are more tolerant in these aspects (For the moment).

PD: I've never been in the UK but I've heard that for any political incorrectness you can go to the jail or have serious problems.

Comment

Originally posted by writer88 View Post
      I've lived in Germany and the United States and have visited most of Western Europe. I have read about freedom of speech around the world, and the only countries I have found that have freedom of speech are the United States and Japan. Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and many other countries that I expected to embrace freedom of speech have certain types of non-threatening speech classified as the American equivalent of felonies (prison sentence of 1 year or more). Examples of such speech are racism, speaking against someone's religion, or generally certain types of unpopular political speech. How is this justified in your home country? How do people think it's morally okay to use violence against someone for saying something racist or politically unpopular? I would only ever be willing to use violence against for violating my person or property, as a assaulter or thief, but never for insulting me.

Recently a British man I believe was sentenced to prison for teaching his pug to do the _________ salute.

Source

PS - I am probably wrong about a lot of countrie as I have only ever read about most of the world, and have not actually lived in these societies.
      Of course there's no freedom of speech in the west These countries introduced leftism, which is simply marxism in disguise. And commies as we know, want to create the world of common happiness where no one feels excluded

In Poland, freedom of speech is restricted by defamation laws - both of an individual or the whole Polish nation. Also you cannot deny communist crimes and nazi crimes including but not restricted to Holocaust
      http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20100803203515

Comment

Source

France and UK at least are very bad example of "freedom of speech", in France you get jailed for negationism, in UK you can't say anything about pakistaniis rapist gangs or you go to jails... And yes, this guy teaching sieg heil to his dog as a joke got his life ruined and had a lot of problem with justice.

Ps : You claims US is good for freedom of speech, yet you censor yourself saying nazi and I don't remember any americans saying nigga/nigger. Oh, didn't ou have a story about removing some statues as well and pople fighting against were labeled as racists ?
        Last edited by Sancta_Lux; 06-14-2018, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Source

its not so great in the US. people get fired for saying something people dont like. people get suspended from school for saying things.

Comment

Originally posted by jordan_rudess View Post

Of course there's no freedom of speech in the west These countries introduced leftism, which is simply marxism in disguise. And commies as we know, want to create the world of common happiness where no one feels excluded

In Poland, freedom of speech is restricted by defamation laws - both of an individual or the whole Polish nation. Also you cannot deny communist crimes and nazi crimes including but not restricted to Holocaust
            I told you, Poland doesn't have freedom of speech, but you argued non-stop with me. :-) At least, you got this part correct: "
            Of course, there's no freedom of speech in the west."

Comment

Originally posted by Tux1 View Post
              I told you, Poland doesn't have freedom of speech, but you argued non-stop with me. :-) At least, you got this part correct: "
              Of course, there's no freedom of speech in the west."
              In American sense - of course it doesn't

Comment

Freedom of speech is always dangerous for an ideology that does lose their credibility and supporter base.
                The goal of any censure (destruction of freedom of speech) is 'phasing' of only one right and allowed opinion about a topic.
                Nevertheless it has never worked for too long, especially if the "only one right" opinion is against interest of an individual that should be obedient.
                Ergo Freedom of speech is disobedience.
                Totalitarian systems don't like disobedience, hence those systems try to destroy freedom of speech.

Comment

In American sense - of course it doesn't
                  In any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tux1 View Post
                    In any sense.
                    No. There is more than one sense to this. Americans have absolute freedom of speech. In Poland freedom of speech is understood as the right to say whatever you wish as long as you do not violate rights of others.

Comment

No. There is more than one sense to this. Americans have absolute freedom of speech. In Poland freedom of speech is understood as the right to say whatever you wish as long as you do not violate rights of others.
                      Negationism isn't violating the rights of the others, words and ideas remain words and ideas unless you start to apply them. There is freedom or there is no, Poland, as France, is into pseudo-freedom of speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

Negationism isn't violating the rights of the others, words and ideas remain words and ideas unless you start to apply them. There is freedom or there is no, Poland, as France, is into pseudo-freedom of speech.
                        But of course it violates the rights of others. There are still people who suffered e.g. tortures during communist interrogations. To say that it didn't happen is like to slap them in the face.

Comment

But of course it violates the rights of others. There are still people who suffered e.g. tortures during communist interrogations. To say that it didn't happen is like to slap them in the face.
                          Admiting that one's feelings = its rights, should we forbid some people to say something because it will be "like a slap" to some others?

Comment

Source

You appear to of infected these forums with immature sulky first world whinging about your own personal Western xyz problems that sound like angry teen angst along the lines of "my teacher told me off so i'm gonna show em" nonsense!

I have a suggestion, GROW UP!!!!!! If not by all means take a holiday to North Korea, Saudi Arabia or better still Afghanistan and see how you get on regarding the freedom of speech! IF you get back alive and can still move your body unaided kiss the ground when you get to Western terraferma and beg and plead for forgiveness about your previous ungrateful attitude, idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
                              Admiting that one's feelings = its rights, should we forbid some people to say something because it will be "like a slap" to some others?
                              But what do you mean by "we should"? We do, or we do not, and all definitions like that are a matter of convention based on prevalent sentiments in the society. On the same basis we banned wearning t-shirts with S.Bandera here in Poland. Because it is like slap in the face for Polish society.
                              US are just too young country to dictate others what is right or wrong. They may be influential economically in the world, but I absolutely do not accept the absolute freedom of speech standard that Americans represent.

Comment

Working...
                              X