Your HONEST Opinion of the United States

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HappyfaceSpider View Post
    What is your personal view of the United States? Do you feel any influence from outside sources on how you feel? Or do you feel your opinion is truly your own? I want honesty, honesty doesn't mean being nasty so keep it respectful.
    I’ve spent a lot of time in the USA and it is still my preferred go-to destination because of its proximity, the friendliness of its people, it’s varied landscapes, great highways, low prices (food, fuel), great shopping and entertainment ...what’s not to like? As a vacation destination, the USA is hard to beat.

I don’t live there so I don’t have to worry about that country’s social, economic or political policies. That’s true for any country I visit.

Comment

Originally posted by dmitri11

Nevertheless you're hella fresh, rolling joints like a cigarette.

https://www.amalgama-lab.com/songs/l...t_5_on_it.html
      h

When I travel in the USA, I avoid people like in your video.

Comment

Niggas?? Nice guys. I'd avoid the police. I expect you not to stutter after a visit to Russia.
        No, not black people. I avoid anyone who appears delinquent.

Sorry, I have no plans to visit Russia...unless Putin himself invites me.

Comment

Today in Fort de Bregancon, Putin and Macron discussed the future of Quebec and Canada. Then hold your ankles and think of Charles DeGaulle.
          https://francais.rt.com/internationa...ment-europenne
          The article you linked to is in French so you probably understood nothing. Canada is as insignifiant on the world stage as Australia or...Ukraine. Third- and fourth-rate powers are of no interest to leaders like Putin or Macron.

Anyway, the subject here is about the greatest country in the world: the USA. Get back on topic.

Comment

... Nous croyons en cette Europe qui va de Lisbonne à Vladivostok – une formule qui rappelle quelque peu la célèbre référence du général de Gaulle à l'Europe allant «de l'Atlantique à l'Oural», incluant donc la Russie ...
            Speak American!

Comment

It's an abomination; a horrid place made all the more offensive by its squandered potential.

Comment

It's normal for people to bash on the hegemonic power of their time.
                Romans were called piss drinkers by old Spanish ancestors, the British were the devil when they ruled over 1/4 of the world, etc. it's never black or white.

Objectively speaking I dont feel any negative animosity towards the USA. Ive dealt with many north americans my entire life and i've found them to be very easy to get along with(with exceptions of course. that's why I find it unreasonable when people say "americans" and lump them all under a stereotype).
                I find it hypocritical when people bash on the level of education of the USA yet most universities around the world use US made studying materials or teach US made technological developments.
                People bash on the USA as racist and bring up it's past with slavery (while ignoring the fact that more than half the world was still trading slaves after the USA had abolished it. Im Latin American, my country, Costa Rica, had black slaves in plantations all across the Atlantic with prohibitions for entry into the central valley, asian slaves built the railroads and were bound to the pacific coast. yet I dont see anyone bashing on us for our past racism. People say that CR grew out of it and dont hold us accountable for it, and well, why should they? I never owned any slaves nor have done anything racist to anyone.... unless you buy into the archaic notion of inherited guilt. which by that logic, banksters must love you, inheritable loans sounds like a great business for them)

I find it hypocritical that people bash the USA for it's obesity problem(when statistics for half of Europe aren't even that different and as a latin american I know of several hispanic countries which already surpassed the USA in obesity figures. It's a world wide phenomenom )

People blame the USA for the bad shape their economies are in(Here in CR a bunch of people do so. while ignoring how the US Navy helped us defeat the filibuster invaders who wanted to turn us into a slaving enclave backup plan in case slavery was abolished in the USA. Reagan gave us millions of dollars in infrastructure spending in the cold war to keep us on their side. yet somehow they ruined us? last I checked Japan got carpet bombed with incendiary bombs and got double nuked and still became a first world country in two decades, what excuse does a country that didn't experience those horrors have? no one forced our ex president Oduber to sell off our gold reserves during a time when an unusual flood of gold in the market had depreciated it.)
                Then the whole evil US waging wars on the world notion. Yes the USA has invaded a lot of countries unlawfully. Does the US populace support that? It seems not! (There's a reason democrat candidates like Tulsi Gabbard have such a strong appeal and why Trump support amongst republicans increased so much in the presidential race when he veered from the "most militaristic president ever" to "pull back our troops from foreign wars" stance, which was much of what made Ron Paul a popular guy in his times of unexpected yet insufficient rise in the polls).
                If referendums were needed for the USA to head into wars, the USA wouldnt have been in any wars in decades.

More controversially. the whole "USA is such a violent place! with their love for guns theyre having mass shootings all the time". Being an engineer, I like to see the numbers. The USA does indeed have over half the world's household guns. yet my own country, that abolished it's military in the 40's, famed for being a peaceloving country that likes to solve disputes in international courts, despite having notoriously lower firearms per capita have a 45% higher chance on average of being shot! Costa Rica is far from being one of the most violent places on earth, if anything it tends towards the more peaceful half. Mass shootings make flashy headlines, but even the rate of mass shootings now is lower in the USA than it was in the 90s(based on their definition of 4 or more killed in the vent classifying as a mass shooting).

It seems a lot of the bad stereotypes of the USA come from people who interact little with North Americans, dont look into statistics or buy into political talking points from both sides of the political isles(because it's easier to let other people think for them).
                I do have points of criticism towards the USA though. If you want affordable higher education, pumping subsidies into privately run universities wont make it cheaper(that money is better spent creating actually publically owned universities and gradually growing that up like the rest of the world that had affordable universities did. When you pump subsidies into an already lucrative and dominant private university, it will use that money to upgrade it's services to secure it's hegemonic position, charge higher and become more elite and in no way will their service cater to the less well off students the subsidy program hoped to aid).
                Same goes for health care, you dont subsidise insurance companies or private hospitals hoping for them to sell their services for cheaper(theyll drain the limited tax funds), you're better off starting from scratch and gradually making publically owned hospitals, again like the rest of the world did(you cant expect a functioning system of that scale to be ready withiin a presidential term, or two, anyone who promises so is scamming you) and cut the subsidies, let the private corporations fight each other for who gives better service at better prices, giving them subsidies you are just choosing winners and harming the customers.
                And if you want affordable housing, maybe the republicans are right, limit migration and let population stop growing as rapidly. it's basic supply and demand, there's nothing wrong with letting population shrink(unless you're a big business owner and you dont want wages to go up or you work in real estate and you're quite happy with the current supply and demand stance that makes you such a big earnings margin when you sell a property to the people who will spend a couple or more decades paying that loan)

Comment

Originally posted by ManfredH View Post
                  Romans were called piss drinkers by old Spanish ancestors, the British were the devil when they ruled over 1/4 of the world, etc. it's never black or white.

Objectively speaking I dont feel any negative animosity towards the USA. Ive dealt with many north americans my entire life and i've found them to be very easy to get along with(with exceptions of course. that's why I find it unreasonable when people say "americans" and lump them all under a stereotype).
                  I find it hypocritical when people bash on the level of education of the USA yet most universities around the world use US made studying materials or teach US made technological developments.
                  People bash on the USA as racist and bring up it's past with slavery (while ignoring the fact that more than half the world was still trading slaves after the USA had abolished it. Im Latin American, my country, Costa Rica, had black slaves in plantations all across the Atlantic with prohibitions for entry into the central valley, asian slaves built the railroads and were bound to the pacific coast. yet I dont see anyone bashing on us for our past racism. People say that CR grew out of it and dont hold us accountable for it, and well, why should they? I never owned any slaves nor have done anything racist to anyone.... unless you buy into the archaic notion of inherited guilt. which by that logic, banksters must love you, inheritable loans sounds like a great business for them)

I find it hypocritical that people bash the USA for it's obesity problem(when statistics for half of Europe aren't even that different and as a latin american I know of several hispanic countries which already surpassed the USA in obesity figures. It's a world wide phenomenom )

People blame the USA for the bad shape their economies are in(Here in CR a bunch of people do so. while ignoring how the US Navy helped us defeat the filibuster invaders who wanted to turn us into a slaving enclave backup plan in case slavery was abolished in the USA. Reagan gave us millions of dollars in infrastructure spending in the cold war to keep us on their side. yet somehow they ruined us? last I checked Japan got carpet bombed with incendiary bombs and got double nuked and still became a first world country in two decades, what excuse does a country that didn't experience those horrors have? no one forced our ex president Oduber to sell off our gold reserves during a time when an unusual flood of gold in the market had depreciated it.)
                  Then the whole evil US waging wars on the world notion. Yes the USA has invaded a lot of countries unlawfully. Does the US populace support that? It seems not! (There's a reason democrat candidates like Tulsi Gabbard have such a strong appeal and why Trump support amongst republicans increased so much in the presidential race when he veered from the "most militaristic president ever" to "pull back our troops from foreign wars" stance, which was much of what made Ron Paul a popular guy in his times of unexpected yet insufficient rise in the polls).
                  If referendums were needed for the USA to head into wars, the USA wouldnt have been in any wars in decades.

More controversially. the whole "USA is such a violent place! with their love for guns theyre having mass shootings all the time". Being an engineer, I like to see the numbers. The USA does indeed have over half the world's household guns. yet my own country, that abolished it's military in the 40's, famed for being a peaceloving country that likes to solve disputes in international courts, despite having notoriously lower firearms per capita have a 45% higher chance on average of being shot! Costa Rica is far from being one of the most violent places on earth, if anything it tends towards the more peaceful half. Mass shootings make flashy headlines, but even the rate of mass shootings now is lower in the USA than it was in the 90s(based on their definition of 4 or more killed in the vent classifying as a mass shooting).

It seems a lot of the bad stereotypes of the USA come from people who interact little with North Americans, dont look into statistics or buy into political talking points from both sides of the political isles(because it's easier to let other people think for them).
                  I do have points of criticism towards the USA though. If you want affordable higher education, pumping subsidies into privately run universities wont make it cheaper(that money is better spent creating actually publically owned universities and gradually growing that up like the rest of the world that had affordable universities did. When you pump subsidies into an already lucrative and dominant private university, it will use that money to upgrade it's services to secure it's hegemonic position, charge higher and become more elite and in no way will their service cater to the less well off students the subsidy program hoped to aid).
                  Same goes for health care, you dont subsidise insurance companies or private hospitals hoping for them to sell their services for cheaper(theyll drain the limited tax funds), you're better off starting from scratch and gradually making publically owned hospitals, again like the rest of the world did(you cant expect a functioning system of that scale to be ready withiin a presidential term, or two, anyone who promises so is scamming you) and cut the subsidies, let the private corporations fight each other for who gives better service at better prices, giving them subsidies you are just choosing winners and harming the customers.
                  And if you want affordable housing, maybe the republicans are right, limit migration and let population stop growing as rapidly. it's basic supply and demand, there's nothing wrong with letting population shrink(unless you're a big business owner and you dont want wages to go up or you work in real estate and you're quite happy with the current supply and demand stance that makes you such a big earnings margin when you sell a property to the people who will spend a couple or more decades paying that loan)
                  Objectively speaking, saying what you feel or don't feel is not objective

Comment

Ive dealt with many north americans my entire life and i've found them to be very easy to get along with(with exceptions of course. that's why I find it unreasonable when people say "americans" and lump them all under a stereotype).
                    You're mixing US citizen and the country. The people living there can be the best people ever but the country could be a fucking pain in the ass.

This is an issue, it makes education cancerous on other side of the sea...

People bash on the USA as racist
                    Never heard that here.

They are,in fact, quite differents. "USA" has a way bigger issue with obesity than most European countries (not to say all) and way above most of any countries with a noticable exception of Polynesians countries which are, in fact, very disposed to get obese due to their past and genetic legacy.

In addition, you seem to forget that obesity is mainly due to one thing : "Occidental" lifestyle which is... Murican and Murican fastfood since they are cultural ethnociding everything on their way.

Japan didn't get vassalized as american countries, probably because of the distance and the era/advanced technology already. Most of "latin american" countries actually got fucked up by US foreign policy which pushed down the local policies which were, we can admit, already bad.
                    Defending Murica on this side, liek for obesity, is close to a scam attempt though. I don't think they ever had hidden their economical imperialism...

Oh, and for the Murica being a savior, we got that in Europe too. Actually, right after the war, people were aware that USSR did most of the work against Germany (except for the perfidious Albion which was thinking about being the hero already) but things changed within few years of.. propaganda.

Then the whole evil US waging wars on the world notion. Yes the USA has invaded a lot of countries unlawfully. Does the US populace support that? It seems not!
                    Mixing a country and its people again but I'd say that people usually deserve the politicians they get.

You bet... Do you know how the current propaganda was born? Through a propaganda made by Murican government with the help of Bernays in order to go to the WW1. The goal of the propaganda was to make muricans (which were against dealing with European shit) supportive a murican intervention there.

Pointing out the love for guns is a mistake for sure, yet poiting the issues in USA with gunlaws is not. As for comparing to another country, which would be supposedly more dangerous, it's like saying "Suicides commited by students in South Korea isn't a big deal because there are more chance to see a suicide elsewhere", meh.

Other countries are, unfortunately, copy-pasting their system nowaday. Thanks to some hegemony.

I actually thought that houses in this area were kinda ok or even "cheap" because they are made of paper mache.
                    That being said, once again I disagree. The issue isn't that there are too many people strickly speaking, the main issue is that all those beautiful and smart people want to live in an overcrowded area while Murica is big. Same happen almost everywhere, even in Europe where cities tend to be a little bit smaller. You can see how the price varies between a big city/touristic spot and the countryside (it's more than the double or triple...)

Comment

Except opposition to the British Empire was wrong, while opposition to America is right. Don't try to draw parallels where none exist.

Comment

Originally posted by bsgsbkht View Post
                        Except opposition to the British Empire was wrong, while opposition to America is right. Don't try to draw parallels where none exist.
                        Opposition to English was right, especially seeing what they delivered to us : this insanity that Murica is.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

Opposition to English was right, especially seeing what they delivered to us : this insanity that Murica is.
                          Are you a Zionist?

https://www.hotelinvest.org/fileadmi...-Klodollar.jpg

“I Fully Agree With General Washington, That We Must Protect This Young Nation From An Insidious Influence And Impenetration. The Menace, Gentlemen, Is The Jews.”
                          Last edited by dmitri11; 08-27-2019, 03:46 PM.

Comment

awesome. u'nt lazy. keep writing.
                            Last edited by dmitri11; 09-01-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dmitri11 View Post

Are you a Zionist?

https://www.hotelinvest.org/fileadmi...-Klodollar.jpg

“I Fully Agree With General Washington, That We Must Protect This Young Nation From An Insidious Influence And Impenetration. The Menace, Gentlemen, Is The Jews.”
                              I'd even add that i'm a jew.

Comment

Just like most countries, it's beautiful with a great potential, handled like crap

I've always felt weird towards the US, like it's welcomed me with open arms and still, always made me feel I was not part of it. I guess you have to earn or lose something to feel home there.

I've always been with friends who lived there so it was hard to really challenge the opinion I had from a European point of view. I was shown the good sides, mostly.

Comment

Working...
                                X