Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex Muslims, ex Christians, or ex whatever why you left your religion ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My father used to be a Jehova's Witness but he left because of the abuse that elders did and his ex-wife made the community turn against him. I have a big brother but I have met him less than five times in my lifetime. Last time he tried to "save" me. He didn't know that at that point I already left the church because I just couldn't believe that all knowing god would be so cruel and he would have better stuff to do than being interested in every tiny thing. Also, I'm advocating for religion and state be two different institutes.

I do find some beauty in religions and if someone believes in their own - please do. I learned how to pray like a Muslim and find it meditative. I have seen many ways to do religion. I just don't think that religion is something to give you the power to harm non-believers or think that they are "wrong". I think it should bring positive things to your life like community or peace of mind. I don't deny the possibility of a god but if at the pearly gates I'm sent to hell just because I didn't believe... I will be in good company. I much prefer to be kind and respectful because that's the right thing to do.

Everyone should be free to believe or not to believe without fear of harm or abandonment. I have felt it in my own life how bad religion can be and my dad still has scars of his time in Witness. We also have a friend who believes in god and finds comfort for her sickness in believing that god is good.

Comment

Officially I was part of the church, but just on paper, as I never believed in Jesus or God.
      I left for a different religion as soon as I had the chance, simply because I always believed in my Gods from the start : ) but there was no easy way to leave the church until recently.

Comment

I grew up in the Christian household. Every Sunday,my stepfather would drag me and my sister to church. I hated it. I was baptized at twelve didn't have much of a choice. I was an anxious and constantly faced with threats of hellfire. I've had an on/off relationship with religion throughout my teens. Recently, I decided to depart from religion for good. The reason for that being is I felt that the church thrived on fear and naivete, and since that decision my life seems that much easier. I am really into metaphysics now, but I no long subscribe to any religion.

Comment

I left Christianity because I realized that I do not agree with Christian morality and dislike acts of god.
          I realize that Christian god is an awful tyrant.
          Christianity is religion of slaves and for slaves. I reject this slavery and I am not a slave.
          Also I realized that soul is an illusion.
          I discovered that Bible is a lie.
          I believe in science. I am an atheist and materialist. I reject religious morality. I see no sense in eternal life.

Comment

I don't really know why, I guess it slowly stopped making any sense. I used to be very catholic as a child, but as a teen I was already an atheist. I guess that exploring the world and wondering on my own made me realize thet believe in an imaginary being just wasn't for me.

Comment

Pretty much the same for me though I remember being skeptical of the idea of God from about age 10. When I was 13 my mom left the Baptist church and and I was thankful not to have to go to church every Sunday - mostly because it was so damn boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Ameriguy99 View Post
                I just read the Bible word for word, cover to cover and under the belife tha it was the word of God and came to the conclusion that either god is evil or this whole thing is a scam and not real

Yes by reading the Bible you realize that God does some seriously messed up shit. Nobody in their right mind should want to worship such an asshole.

Comment

I don`t think you need to leave your religion to worship another god.. Nature created human, human created religion, religion made gods and culture.. It is all man-made.. we don`t know exactly whether these gods exist!. Why break your heads to worship someone you don`t know.. You are your god.. God lives inside everybody.. Worship yourself.. If you are keen to know about any culture, just go ahead... Don`t have to waste your time changing religion.

Comment

Working...
                  X