Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Religion: Necessity or Accessory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Religion: Necessity or Accessory?

    For a long time, I have wondered why do we have religion? Many believe that religion gives answers to the founding of the universe, others believe that it is a moral guide, and some believe that religion is just a fairytale we tell ourselves. But whatever your belief, it is true that religion as a whole has positives and negatives. So, I ask you not just whether rel is right or wrong, but also whether or not it has a place in society today?

  • #2
    To me personally religion is but a fairy tale I don't find to be necessary.

    Comment


    • #3
      It is but a mere crutch for the weak minded.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Matthew_Ellis9 View Post
        For a long time, I have wondered why do we have religion? Many believe that religion gives answers to the founding of the universe, others believe that it is a moral guide, and some believe that religion is just a fairytale we tell ourselves. But whatever your belief, it is true that religion as a whole has positives and negatives. So, I ask you not just whether rel is right or wrong, but also whether or not it has a place in society today?

        You asked two questions, one of which is leading. By leading, I mean it presupposes a certain answer. One question at a time:

        "...why do we have religion?"

        This may be a good time to explain exactly what is religion. the Merriam Webster Third New International Dictionary defines religion as such:

        The body of institutionalized expressions of sacred beliefs, observances and social practices found within a given cultural context.

        You'll notice that there is no mention of gods in the above definition. Indeed, gods are not necessary for a religion. Several religions are atheist such as some forms of Buddhism as well as the religion founded by Raël, to name but two. I suggest you read the definition and take it apart so that you understand it. (A "sacred belief" is any belief which is unquestioned and is accepted as true by those who believe. To question this belief is to bring upon yourself ridicule and hostility. Religions and their sacred beliefs naturally come to mind, but secular sacred beliefs also exist. Can you name any?)

        Now for the answer to your question: We have religion because we are human. Animals, insects, all plant life and people in a vegetative mental state are incapable of religion.

        "...I ask you...whether of not [religion] has a place in society today?"

        This question is leading and presupposes the only reasonable answer to be, No. If you understood my explanation, above, and were able to name at least one of your own secular sacred beliefs, you'll understand that the answer to your question is actually Yes.

        Well, "Yes, sort-of" would be more a more accurate answer! What you are actually asking is whether faith still has its place in society today. Faith and religion are interlinked but they are two different things which people easily confuse. We can have faith-with-religion, faith-without-religion, religion-without-faith* and no-faith/no-religion. In humans, this last one is for people in a vegetative state (a deep coma, for example) and for living things without a brain.



        *this is the most common position for people.



        Comment


        • #5
          Religion was created by those priests to keep people eternally servile and miserable, nothing else. According to the Bible, nobody should be happy, wealthy, jolly in their lives, only after death people can smile and get some consolation , until then misery, grief, servility is considered to be a human's destiny and burden. Funny how people take it as the truth, as words of god, god wants them to suffer here, so that they could rejoice there in heaven. Bullshit. All this crap was made up by ancient Jews as a means of control over mankind , zombied brainwashed herds are easy to rule as you know. It's amazing that the majority of people all around the world believe in these jewish myths wholeheartedly, the ones with weak psychical health eagerly become deeply religious bigots, they are easy to convert to any religion, sect by systematical regular brainwashing.
          Last edited by murcat; 04-28-2017, 10:32 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by murcat View Post
            Religion was created by those priests to keep people eternally servile and miserable, nothing else. According to the Bible, nobody should be happy, wealthy, jolly in their lives, only after death people can smile and get some consolation , until then misery, grief, servility is considered to be a human's destiny and burden. Funny how people take it as the truth, as words of god, god wants them to suffer here, so that they could rejoice there in heaven. Bullshit. All this crap was made up by ancient Jews as a means of control over mankind , zombied brainwashed herds are easy to rule as you know. It's amazing that the majority of people all around the world believe in these jewish myths wholeheartedly, the ones with weak psychical health eagerly become deeply religious bigots, they are easy to convert to any religion, sect by systematical regular brainwashing.
            For how many THOUSAND years does religion predate Judaism ?/ BUT ! ! you got in your jews controlling mankind mantra..

            Comment


            • #7
              for me it is neither a necessity or an accesory... it's just the way reality is like... it's the recognition of what I have around, that's all...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by murcat View Post
                Religion was created by those priests to keep people eternally servile and miserable, nothing else. According to the Bible, nobody should be happy, wealthy, jolly in their lives, only after death people can smile and get some consolation , until then misery, grief, servility is considered to be a human's destiny and burden. Funny how people take it as the truth, as words of god, god wants them to suffer here, so that they could rejoice there in heaven. Bullshit. All this crap was made up by ancient Jews as a means of control over mankind , zombied brainwashed herds are easy to rule as you know. It's amazing that the majority of people all around the world believe in these jewish myths wholeheartedly, the ones with weak psychical health eagerly become deeply religious bigots, they are easy to convert to any religion, sect by systematical regular brainwashing.

                This person exhibits several "secular sacred beliefs". Almost every sentence contains at least one. Some are in the domain of sociology, others anthopology and still others psychology. See if you can identify them. Consider it a mental exercise.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by murcat View Post
                  Religion was created by those priests to keep people eternally servile and miserable, nothing else. According to the Bible, nobody should be happy, wealthy, jolly in their lives, only after death people can smile and get some consolation , until then misery, grief, servility is considered to be a human's destiny and burden. Funny how people take it as the truth, as words of god, god wants them to suffer here, so that they could rejoice there in heaven. Bullshit. All this crap was made up by ancient Jews as a means of control over mankind , zombied brainwashed herds are easy to rule as you know. It's amazing that the majority of people all around the world believe in these jewish myths wholeheartedly, the ones with weak psychical health eagerly become deeply religious bigots, they are easy to convert to any religion, sect by systematical regular brainwashing.

                  I see it in a similar way. If a religion is twisted and used for manipulation with people, it is always bad thing. People should educate themselves so they know that there is much more as for knowledge.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Imo, it's a necessity to many people, an accessory to only few of them.
                    Most of people need rules to be "civilized", religions give them rules and fear of being eternally punished, for religious. I think those are teaching them some principles (when the religion isn't sicks, it's all good). It's an addition to the penal code and this kind of things to me. Some don't need them, most of people need them, especially those who only want to appear "smarter" than religious but fall into crap too.
                    Last edited by Sancta_Lux; 04-28-2017, 06:21 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The question ought to be: is humanity a necessity or not? What is religion without humanity but perfection? Do we need religion, no. But we don't need science either. Seriously. Science is a beautiful institution until mankind uses it for personal gain and agendas...just like they do with religion. Look at the real underlying problem here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Elishar View Post

                        For how many THOUSAND years does religion predate Judaism ?/ BUT ! ! you got in your jews controlling mankind mantra..
                        It's not only jews . Any religion makes people blind zombies, look at muslims with their fairy tale about Allah and prophet Mohammed, they are ready to kill in the name of their god. What is so virtuous about this faith ? and those words from the Bible "woe to you, who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep" sound weird to me, sort of blackmailing. It means , that everybody has to be unhappy, live in permanent anguish and misery, because happiness here on Earth is forbidden by creators of this holy book, all they can offer is joy in heaven, which is absurd. Has it ever occurred to you why it is forbidden to be cheerful now ? the Bible sounds like a manual for masochists rather than something holy ))

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by murcat View Post

                          It's not only jews . Any religion makes people blind zombies, look at muslims with their fairy tale about Allah and prophet Mohammed, they are ready to kill in the name of their god. What is so virtuous about this faith ? and those words from the Bible "woe to you, who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep" sound weird to me, sort of blackmailing. It means , that everybody has to be unhappy, live in permanent anguish and misery, because happiness here on Earth is forbidden by creators of this holy book, all they can offer is joy in heaven, which is absurd. Has it ever occurred to you why it is forbidden to be cheerful now ? the Bible sounds like a manual for masochists rather than something holy ))
                          When you use bigotry as negation's factor for bible or Quran, those books become more sense and begin to be more reasonable.
                          Interpretation is the key, and with interpretation it's similar as with opinions and assholes, everybody has one.

                          Back to topic. Some people 10-20% need religion because their mind can't understand the world and universe without omnipotent beings. I'm ok with that, but what i hate, are those remaining opportunists who want use the belief of the few ones as their weakness to control them and as a confirmation's group for all those who are undecided or have not truly interested in this subject.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by murcat View Post

                            It's not only jews . Any religion makes people blind zombies, look at muslims with their fairy tale about Allah and prophet Mohammed, they are ready to kill in the name of their god. What is so virtuous about this faith ? and those words from the Bible "woe to you, who laugh now, for you shall mourn and weep" sound weird to me, sort of blackmailing. It means , that everybody has to be unhappy, live in permanent anguish and misery, because happiness here on Earth is forbidden by creators of this holy book, all they can offer is joy in heaven, which is absurd. Has it ever occurred to you why it is forbidden to be cheerful now ? the Bible sounds like a manual for masochists rather than something holy ))
                            There is nothing virtuous about Islam. It is evil to the core, so you're right as far as Islam is concerned.

                            When it comes to the Bible, you are not right. Nowhere does it say that "happiness is forbidden" on earth, or that "everybody...has to live in permanent anguish and misery"! Where did you get this stuff?! The part you quoted, "woe to you who shall mourn and weep..." is taken out of context and has nothing to do with God forbidding hapiness. (He doesn't) Again, where do you get this stuff?!

                            It's good that you hate religion. So does God. You and he have that in common!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

                              Nowhere does it say that "happiness is forbidden" on earth, or that "everybody...has to live in permanent anguish and misery"! Where did you get this stuff?! The part you quoted, "woe to you who shall mourn and weep..." is taken out of context and has nothing to do with God forbidding hapiness. (He doesn't)
                              anguish , poverty, humility and misery are encouraged and glorified by churches somehow as a great advantage. Look at monks and nuns , they blindly follow this stupid ideology, depriving themselves of all joys of this world, living in seclusion like hermits, because they were told, it was good to suffer, it's a sort of their sacrifice to god. These institutions - monasteries and convents are simply something abnormal, something , that goes against human nature.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X