Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to go on being a non believer of religions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to go on being a non believer of religions?

Where in interpals will I find a teacher for being a non believer of religions? Just curious and asking, or do I just keep knowing and learning from books how it is to be a good person? Perhaps, sciences, maths, philosophy, etc?

Originally posted by vixendane View Post
    Where in interpals will I find a teacher for being a non believer of religions? Just curious and asking, or do I just keep knowing and learning from books how it is to be a good person? Perhaps, sciences, maths, philosophy, etc?
    "Goodness" has nothing to do with religions. Our history of religious wars, massacres, hatred and whatnot should make that evident to anyone. Atheism is just as guilty: Maoist China, the USSR, the Khmer Rouge should also make evident that atheism ain't got a clue about what "goodness" is either. Philosophy? LOL...are you kidding?!

So that leaves science and mathematics in your reasoning. Science has nothing to say about what is good or bad. It is often fraught with fraud and lies and twisting of the truth for profit or pride. Forget about that. Mathematics and the applied sciences will show you what works...there's a dim candle there that may lead you towards what you are searching for.

Comment

Being a non-believer in religions and other faith and religious dogma is best cured with a healthy dose of critical thinking skills

As for "being a good person".. unless you have some psychological or psychiatric condition such as being a sociopath, then being a moral person should come naturally to you - after all it is programmed into our genes and is an integral part of the vast majority of people in humanity.

Learning about the sciences, maths and philosophy beats the hell out of most of the poorly written crap that constitutes dogma associated with faiths. Definitely sex for the brain in comparison with poorly formulated and often contradictory fairy tales and other sky daddy fiction.

Comment

Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot all came from religious homes and received religious education. The same is true for Kim Il-Sung among others. Interestingly Pol Pot went to a Catholic school and Kim was from a Protestant Christian family, not at all typical for these Asian countries.

Comment

Originally posted by -Lauri- View Post
          Mao, Stalin and Pol Pot all came from religious homes and received religious education. The same is true for Kim Il-Sung among others. Interestingly Pol Pot went to a Catholic school and Kim was from a Protestant Christian family, not at all typical for these Asian countries.
          A religious education devoid of critical thinking skills enabled these people to seamlessly flow from dogmatic contradictory bullshit with a skydaddy into dogmatic contradictory bullshit with skydaddy replaced by gods of a more human form - Marx and Lenin.

Comment

Do you think you need to learn to be a good person when you don't believe in one of the religions?

About what things in particular are you in doubt?
            In dir muß brennen, was du in anderen entzünden willst. What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. [Aurelius]

Comment

Why would you need a teacher ? Are you SUCH a follower ? Forget about and don't worry about what others might think ,,,decide for your self..
              If you wish to be a good person,find yourself a book about ethics most acceptable to the country and society in which you live..

Comment

I went from Christian to atheist to agnostic, and now I'm trying out something called gnostic. I think religion is important to us, but conventional religion won't be able to emancipate modern thinking man. It's best if you would avoid identifying with your belief system too much, but instead wear it like a mask that you put on and off as it conveniences you, and when you have it off, look at life and reality without any preconception or bias. After all, all you have of life is your experience of it, and there is no religion, teacher or god higher than the one in yourself.

If you absolutely need a teacher, here are some people I learned from:

Terrence McKenna

Alan Watts

Manly Hall

If you have any questions.

Comment

"Inspiration is needed in math, just as much as in poetry" - Pushkin after meeting with Lobachewski.

“Pure mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas” - Einstein.

Last edited by dmitri11; 07-17-2017, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X