No announcement yet.

Turkey Going Secular - Leaving Religion Under the Surface

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not only are a lot of Turks going Deist - they are also going the full way and becoming Atheists:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43981745

Comment

Originally posted by aussieinbg View Post

I rarely discuss religion at parties. There's not much to talk about regarding Atheism.. absence of belief in skydaddies and that's it.

For sure they assume you are into half a bottle of scotch when you get into your woo woo spiritual or pseudo-intellectual "opinions" - which seems likely to be also correct.
      You really do have a lot in common with preachers: now you're whining about the Demon's Drink!

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

You really do have a lot in common with preachers: now you're whining about the Demon's Drink!
        I'm not whining about alcohol - I usually have a couple my self.. but you most likely have a couple, then have a couple then have a few more each time... which is why you are completely off topic writing your responses and unwilling to engage in the thread topic - specifically why so many Turks are leaving religion completely.

Comment

I'm not whining about alcohol - I usually have a couple my self.. but you most likely have a couple, then have a couple then have a few more each time... which is why you are completely off topic writing your responses and unwilling to engage in the thread topic - specifically why so many Turks are leaving religion completely.
          I love it how you assume I’m a drunk! You don’t even know me! Maintain your groundless beliefs about me for whatever reason suits you. I’m OK about it.

It’s not lost on me that you are an atheist proselytizer. There’s nothing wrong with proselytizing; you just do it in an offensive manner. I suspect you’re a self-effaced person who uses this vehicle to vent the anger you can’t express in real life.

Comment

I love it how you assume I’m a drunk! You don’t even know me! Maintain your groundless beliefs about me for whatever reason suits you. I’m OK about it.
            Your bullshit is boring, except from the perspective of ripping it apart.

It’s not lost on me that you are an atheist proselytizer. There’s nothing wrong with proselytizing; you just do it in an offensive manner. I suspect you’re a self-effaced person who uses this vehicle to vent the anger you can’t express in real life.
            Here we go, more verbal masturbation from you... Seems you are butthurt about people giving up religion

All we have from you regarding Islam so far is "your Turkish friend Ali"...

So what is causing so many Turks to leave Islam? Perhaps the same realisations that have been causing people to abandon Christianity in their millions in Western countries - the effect of about 15 years of internet?

Comment

Such a sad character! I don’t think you have enough insight to see yourself as you really are.

Comment

Such a sad character! I don’t think you have enough insight to see yourself as you really are.
                Both butthurt and unable to contribute to a thread in a substantial manner. At least you were succinct about it this time in giving us evidence for that

Back to Topic:

Seems that even in Islamic religious schools in Turkey, that students are turning to Deism:

https://www.opednews.com/articles/Yo...80417-352.html

Comment

Even Interpals does contradict the claim that Turkey is becoming secular. It is clearly seen that the amount of girls from Turkey, who are wearing scarfs, is growing
                  http://fotkica.com/imgs3/1_53623785_picmodern.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Adrammelehh View Post
                    Even Interpals does contradict the claim that Turkey is becoming secular. It is clearly seen that the amount of girls from Turkey, who are wearing scarfs, is growing
                    If you had read the articles, it seems that girls wearing hijab is because of parental pressure as a condition for the girls to be allowed to get an education - not because they specifically want to.

Comment

Decay of Islam as Islamic identity and culture is welcome in my opinion, because it leads to stagnation and to never ending conflicts with other beliefs. However I think the growing of deism and atheism in islamic countries like Turkey, is just a side effect of polarization. The one group radicalizes, the other one moves in opposite direction, like in any kind of polarization.

What I mentioned above is the collective disdain of Muslims towards western culture and society. Forced multiculturalism doesn't help them into better integration, its radicalizes rather majority of them. (maybe it's desired by western elites ?)
                      It's of course different in islamic countries where another culture/society doesn't exist which could be blamed for all problems. Erdogan tries of course to blame the west for their home made issues, but every Turk who is completely retarded isn't buying it. Nevertheless, the effect I mentioned above works into both direction, growing secularism arouses growing of radicalization attempts due people who gain benefits from Islam's influence in politics and control of society.
                      Birth of secularism in Europe didn't happen in few decades, it was a process of centuries. Hence believing that a small shift inside Islam will have an enormous influence is naive. Few Muslims who eat pork and drink beer, don't change the trend of majority who interprets words written in Quran very serious.

Comment

If you had read the articles, it seems that girls wearing hijab is because of parental pressure as a condition for the girls to be allowed to get an education - not because they specifically want to.
                        If they are really that secular they could easily put a picture without them wearing a scarf into the profile on interpals. It has nothing to do with the allowance for them to study

Comment

If they are really that secular they could easily put a picture without them wearing a scarf into the profile on interpals. It has nothing to do with the allowance for them to study
                          If you do a search on "female" + Turkey, you would see that there are very very few females on Interpals who are from Turkey are actually wearing head coverings.

I was surprised by that - I get quite a lot of females from Turkey viewing my profile and far higher proportions of them are wearing head coverings compared with the general Turkish population on Interpals. Interesting to speculate on the reasons for that

Oh, are you sure that you are actually from Estonia?

Comment

If you do a search on "female" + Turkey, you would see that there are very very few females on Interpals who are from Turkey are actually wearing head coverings.

I was surprised by that - I get quite a lot of females from Turkey viewing my profile and far higher proportions of them are wearing head coverings compared with the general Turkish population on Interpals. Interesting to speculate on the reasons for that

Oh, are you sure that you are actually from Estonia?
                            Yep. I am.

I did exactly that and most of them do wear scarf

Comment

Yep. I am.
                              I did exactly that and most of them do wear scarf
                              I doubt that you did a search Or you are lying...

I did a search on Turkey + Female + age 16 to 110 on interpals. A total of 100 initial profile pictures were examined. I divided them into 3 catagories -
                              • Not Head Scarved
                              • Head Scarved
                              • Unknown (head shot not visible)
                              These were my results:
                              • Not Head Scarved - 75
                              • Head Scarved - 14
                              • Unknown (head shot not visible) - 11
                              There was one obvious male who is listed as "female" who I put into the "Unknown" category. I didn't dig deeper into the "unknown" profiles to see if they might have been wearing head scarves or not. This was not needed at all - it is already clearly evident from the data that you are full of shit.

Other readers of this forum can very easily verify that they get similar data to me, It's clear that the Turkish females who frequent IP don't as a general rule wear headscarves.

Comment

I did a search on Turkey + Female + age 16 to 110 on interpals. A total of 100 initial profile pictures were examined. I divided them into 3 catagories -
                                hahaha.
                                I made the same experiment with a limitation of age to 16-30 years. I came to even less numbers for those with headscarf . (among 60 female Turkish profiles about 3 with headscarf)

PS: I actually did expect the opposite for younger women. But maybe we are wrong and to Turkish women will happen the same like to those from other Islamic countries -> they will diminish in numbers in public at all. Becoming invisible completely, not being allowed to be in public space.....ähm I mean protected from public space . Those with headscarf disappear at first of course.
                                Last edited by Suna123; 05-15-2018, 09:03 AM.
                                In dir muß brennen, was du in anderen entzünden willst. What you wish to kindle in others must burn within yourself. [Aurelius]

Comment

Working...
                                X