Egoism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _loki View Post

if not jesus, then someone else? i thought altruism / selflessness was a ideal value (and perhaps tenet) of christianity. christians seems to act so high and mighty towards athiests becuase they are "charitable."
    I’ll try to answer your question with an analogy: a mother loves her baby and will feed it, clothe it, clean it out of love without expecting anything in return. That’s altruism. A babysitter will do the same for the baby out of duty because she expects to be paid. From the baby’s perspective, both women act in the same way.

So, a Christian may act altruistically if motivated to do so but there is no obligation to be altruistic if you’re a Christian. Indeed, any religious obligation to be altruistic would turn the altruism into a duty. It wouldn’t be altruism any more but something else. What does any of this have to do with your original question? I would answer: nothing. You’re getting sidetracked. Focus!

https://www.aynrand.org

...where you can get a primer in the virtue of selfishness and the ideal of capitalism.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerCarmel View Post

I’ll try to answer your question with an analogy: a mother loves her baby and will feed it, clothe it, clean it out of love without expecting anything in return. That’s altruism. A babysitter will do the same for the baby out of duty because she expects to be paid. From the baby’s perspective, both women act in the same way.

So, a Christian may act altruistically if motivated to do so but there is no obligation to be altruistic if you’re a Christian. Indeed, any religious obligation to be altruistic would turn the altruism into a duty. It wouldn’t be altruism any more but something else. What does any of this have to do with your original question? I would answer: nothing. You’re getting sidetracked. Focus!

https://www.aynrand.org

...where you can get a primer in the virtue of selfishness and the ideal of capitalism.

i would say it still is important in regards to the original question. i asked about public opinion, and now we are talking about public opinion in the US. i am an american. most americans do not like athiests. Most americans are 'christian." americans believe athiests are immoral. many chrisitans highlight their altruism when criticised by athiests.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post
        I don't see the point about egoism and the need to be alone...
        kinda like not having a huge social network, thus not having to consider a lot of other people's interests. or not being bothered by people's "causes." or not having to follow a law enacted because a few idiots.

Comment

i would say it still is important in regards to the original question. i asked about public opinion, and now we are talking about public opinion in the US. i am an american. most americans do not like athiests. Most americans are 'christian." americans believe athiests are immoral. many chrisitans highlight their altruism when criticised by athiests.
          Well...anyone who doesn’t like another group as a whole is likely acting out of a sense of superiority or pride or hatred...or all of the above. Atheists are as immoral as Christians and are just as self-righteous as well. The same can be said for any ideological group as we’re all human.

If you want to know a true altruist, adopt a dog.

PS...your dog will be an altruist and an egoist all wrapped into one being.

Comment

kinda like not having a huge social network, thus not having to consider a lot of other people's interests. or not being bothered by people's "causes." or not having to follow a law enacted because a few idiots.
            BUt you can be egoist and have a huge social network that you use only for your interest. You coould also be egoist and be unable to endure solitude.

Comment

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/egoism
              Definition of egoism

1 a : a doctrine that individual self-interest is the actual motive of all conscious action
              b : a doctrine that individual self-interest is the valid end of all actions

2 : excessive concern for oneself with or without exaggerated feelings of self-importance — compare egotism 2

I think 1a is something I agree to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancta_Lux View Post

BUt you can be egoist and have a huge social network that you use only for your interest. You coould also be egoist and be unable to endure solitude.
                I'm just not a shitty person, I'd est Machiavellian I think. I hate being alone. I'm human. Being social is in my best interest

Comment

Everyone is an egoist. We first of all mind our own interests. There is nothing bad in that. Of course, there are people like family, friends we care for and help but in general everyone has egoism in them because without it people would not survive, it is like self preservation instinct. Healthy egoism is fine. Those who care about others way too much and are afraid to say no suffer much more than a healthy egoist doing what's best for him or her. Like my friend says - be either happy or too kind I choose to be happy. It does not mean I am a complete egoist, I can sacrifice my own interests for the closest ones I love but not constantly of course. I am important for myself. It is healthy to think so.

Comment

Working...
                  X