Religion & War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Laura005 View Post

Very thoughtful reply. This is what my feeling, in general, was as well. I think "element" is a good word for it. For example, even if Germany's impetus for WWII was economic, they certainly used Christianity to unify their base against the Jews and generate a general sense of justification in their persecution.
    As far as I am aware, they did not use Christianity as an argument. They used Jews (more the race than the religion) as scapegoats to rally support for their expansionary ambitions. They targeted Sinti and Roma in the same way. They, just as easily, referred to Slavs (that are mostly Orthodox and Roman Catholics) as Untermenschen.

Jews have been persecuted for a long time. Mostly, that has been for economic reasons whilst using the flag of religion to justify it. Whereas Christians were not allowed to charge interest on loans, Jews could. Rather hypocritically, Christians were very happy to borrow money at interest from Jews to finance their enterprises or expeditions. When their enterprises went belly-up and they had to repay their loans, It was all too easy to blame the person that they owed the money. By getting rid of that person, the problem would disappear. That is the moment when Christians used the religion argument. It never arose when they were looking for someone to finance their enterprises and expeditions.

There is not much unity in Christianity either. Germany, at the time, was a mixture of Protestant and Catholic Christianity. Those religions do not maintained very amiable relations in the past. And I am referring to Protestantism as a religion, whereas it is not a religion at all, but a blanket term for a wide range of Christian religions that mostly share being non-Catholic.

Comment

Originally posted by Boliches View Post
      They used Jews ...
      ​Really? Easier to use Roger Carmel than a Jew.

Comment

For example, even if Germany's impetus for WWII was economic, they certainly used Christianity to unify their base against the Jews and generate a general sense of justification in their persecution.
        I have never heard somebody saying something like this, not a teacher and also no older (German) person who lived during that time. Nobody ever mentioned religion in connection with the last war or anti-Jewish propaganda in whatever direction. Is this your personal assumption or is this taught in your schools?

Originally posted by Boliches View Post
        As far as I am aware, they did not use Christianity as an argument. They used Jews (more the race than the religion) as scapegoats to rally support for their expansionary ambitions. They targeted Sinti and Roma in the same way. They, just as easily, referred to Slavs (that are mostly Orthodox and Roman Catholics) as Untermenschen.
        exactly this. It all based on racial idiology and not religious idiology.
        Last edited by Suna123; 10-12-2018, 03:52 PM.

Comment

... This is what my feeling, in general, was as well. I think "element" is a good word for [religion being an element in wars]...
          "Element". That's a term I can live with. Europe's Religion Wars were between different religions (Catholicism & Protestantism) but were also driven by more practical reasons as well: money, territory, power.

Comment

The main causes of war are mostly economic gain, territorial gain and wish to have influence and power. When a territoty gets conquered, the inhabitants of the territory are usually forced into a religion of those who conquer. We have very good examples of it concerning the spread of Islam for example.

There were also civil wars, revolutionary wars.

Religion in some wars was used as a tool for the blind masses of followers to justify the ambitions of the conquerors to get power, land and gain.

Comment

Working...
            X